A26B Invader - Italeri 1/72

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Very nice, Ced. What's next?

Regards,

Adrian

Oh you - too hot to decide (see above) I'll have a think :) 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

As I said, I really love the metallic finished you've achieved :clap:  But before hanging this on the ceiling, may I suggest you try a mid-grey panel lines wash (and maybe a black one along the movable surfaces inner edges and around often opened hatches)?

Maybe just on a little area underneath .... wait, this is going on the ceiling ... OK, on a little area on the top, so that if you don't like it you just leave it alone? I think the end result would greatly benefit from that ... :whistle: :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - you asked for it! See below… :) 

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That metal finish is awesome Ced, the variation is so realistic.

I have to give the AK True Metals another try. Unfortunately, my set didn't make the move from New Mexico somehow.

Thanks Cookie :) Easy peasy and worth trying again - although you don't need MY help on finishes!

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Outstanding result Ced you have raised the bar again!

Roger 

Thanks Roger, very kind :) 

2 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Very tidy finish Ced. I like the metallic finish as well, it looks very realistic in terms of variations..

Matt

Thanks Matt :) Nice stuff AK paste, I love it!

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice finish Ced, looks the part sir.

As the others have said "May look into AK Pastes".

Simon.

29 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Lovely result and will take a trip the model shop as they have started stock ak products.

Go on Simon and Neil, try it - they seem quite expensive but a tube lasts ages and ages and … :) 

Right, the fan has cooled me down a bit so I got these out:

50044011243_6b07473ffd_z.jpg

Apart from Flory and some weathering stuff that's the closest I have to black / grey.

Here we go. 

Before:

50044576146_3554643e54_z.jpg

After:

50044598776_0ac8832cb0_z.jpg

Very subtle (like Giorgio's models) but I need to clean up those blobs:

50044602906_14d78819ca_z.jpg

Uh oh.

Read the bottle.

Enamel based. Gulp.

Soon brushed over though and here's the final result. Just that patch above and the aileron done:

50044864727_bc3f0750f2_z.jpg

I do quite like the subtle finish but I'd need to get some proper panel line wash - non-enamel.

And a bottle of patience.

That bit took quite a long time - the whole thing would take ages!

I think I'll stick to Flory on the models I can rub (fnaar!)

• Like 15

I think the pastes look like a good idea too, looks similar to ‘ Rub ‘n’ Buff  ‘ which I used many years ago.

John.

PS. It was 35C here at 1700 and not much cooler now and very humid. We’re  surrounded by storms which Blanche doesn’t like so we have all the windows and shutters closed and are melting!

John

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Moaning about the heat! :D 

I expect you have air conditioning somewhere? I'd love an air-conditioner but Mrs B (who loves the heat) is reluctant…

My better half loves the heat and humidity, usually, except when she doesn't. Bless her. I am a Scot, and one of those genetically pre-disposed to feeling that 16°C is "a bit hot". It can go from 40°C in the summer to -30°C in the winter here, so we have both cooling and heating.

A lovely result with the True Metals! I've always had a fondness for Rub 'n' Buff, but the lack of variations put me off - I suspect there'll be some purchases I'll need to justify soon, though.

• Thanks 1

Nice results!  I'll have to check out some of that metal paste now! It looks really convincing, and CedB makes it look easy to use--but that may be one of his talents, making things look easy.  Best regards, Alex T.

• Thanks 1

Im so angry... I tagged the follow thread the day you started this Ced. The Forum wasnt giving me updates and now I know why. The forums software booted my follow off the registry. Now I have to go and read through the entire thread. 

Nice job Ced Im sorry I missed it all. ☹️

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice results!  I'll have to check out some of that metal paste now! It looks really convincing, and CedB makes it look easy to use--but that may be one of his talents, making things look easy.  Best regards, Alex T.

It is Alex, believe me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think the pastes look like a good idea too, looks similar to ‘ Rub ‘n’ Buff  ‘ which I used many years ago.

John.

PS. It was 35C here at 1700 and not much cooler now and very humid. We’re  surrounded by storms which Blanche doesn’t like so we have all the windows and shutters closed and are melting!

John

Yikes! Too hot for me John :( It's 27 here in the man cave and the fan is keeping me sane - just.

Ordered one of those Dyson cooler things so we'll see!

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Way to go, Ced! :clap:  :clap: 

May I also suggest tempera for your next, non invasive, gentle-on-paint wash? :wink:  :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) May as well give it a go eh? See below!

12 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

My better half loves the heat and humidity, usually, except when she doesn't. Bless her. I am a Scot, and one of those genetically pre-disposed to feeling that 16°C is "a bit hot". It can go from 40°C in the summer to -30°C in the winter here, so we have both cooling and heating.

A lovely result with the True Metals! I've always had a fondness for Rub 'n' Buff, but the lack of variations put me off - I suspect there'll be some purchases I'll need to justify soon, though.

Thanks John - do give it a try, I think you'll like it - scrub scrub :) 

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Go on Alex, give it a try! :) 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im so angry... I tagged the follow thread the day you started this Ced. The Forum wasnt giving me updates and now I know why. The forums software booted my follow off the registry. Now I have to go and read through the entire thread. 

Nice job Ced Im sorry I missed it all. ☹️

That's weird Dennis, but pleased you've caught up :) 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

It is Alex, believe me

Thanks Bill :) Were that were true…

This won't lie down will it?

Giorgio suggested tempera and I don't have any of that, but I do have Gouache:

50045818473_a7387922e0_z.jpg

The 'net tells me that Gouache and tempera are different but hey, horses for courses (and needs must).

Thinned some black with water until it ran in the panel lines - ailerons and flaps:

50046672522_a367a8c2a6_z.jpg

Then added some white to the mix. Thick. Added some flow improver:

50046678437_15431cb592_z.jpg

Subtle. 

I don't usually do subtle.

Nice though - I may try it again on another subject; the paste wasn't pushed into the lines anyway so the kit grey did show through, a bit.

Had to stop though as the flow improver did it's job a bit too well:

50046672947_f008c32216_z.jpg

• Like 15

I like your palette, is it designed as that or just a household object you’ve picked up?

I’d never heard of tempera wash until I saw it used in one of Giorgio’s builds. but I have used Gouache at times.

Hope it’s not too hot for you today, our storms last night have cooled it down a bit today only 28deg when I last looked.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Ordered one of those Dyson cooler things so we'll see!

My daughter has one of those for use in our 5 year old grand-daughter's bedroom - she says it's brilliant, nice cool air and really quiet so it doesn't wake the little 'un up. Been thinking of investing some of the pension in one meself...

Panel line wash looks pretty good! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Then added some white to the mix. Thick. Added some flow improver:

I use water and a smear of dish washing soap, to break up surface tension and let if flow. And it's a very watery mix, I prefer to do multiple passes until I reach the desired effect

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

The 'net tells me that Gouache and tempera are different but hey, horses for courses (and needs must).

Thanks for posting that article Ced, very interesting. My poster paints don't get much love though:

"In fact, the poster tempera paint that are used in schools are not actually tempera at all!"

"Ready-made bottle tempera or poster paint is a toy for children, and the ingredients vary from manufacturer to manufacturer."

Ha! Anawanitia knows me too well.

Nice gouache weathering Ced.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ready-made bottle tempera or poster paint is a toy for children, and the ingredients vary from manufacturer to manufacture

''Proper'' tempera is actually powdered pigment mixed with egg yolk mixed in a pestle and mortar if memory serves. Bit messy and time consuming for modelling methinks....!! 

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

''Proper'' tempera is actually powdered pigment mixed with egg yolk mixed in a pestle and mortar if memory serves. Bit messy and time consuming for modelling methinks....!! 

but perfect for shrimp!

i"ll just get me   :coat: and head for the   🚪

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, CedB said:

50046672947_f008c32216_z.jpg

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I like your palette, is it designed as that or just a household object you’ve picked up?

That's what hearing aid batteries come in isn't it? 

Pin wash looks good Ced. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

My daughter has one of those for use in our 5 year old grand-daughter's bedroom - she says it's brilliant, nice cool air and really quiet so it doesn't wake the little 'un up. Been thinking of investing some of the pension in one meself...

We bought a portable air conditioning thing for our bedroom last summer and it's pretty useless, the best result we've had is 2deg off the temperature after about 4 hours, waste of electricity.

John

• Sad 4

18 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's what hearing aid batteries come in isn't it? 

Pin wash looks good Ced. :)

Steve.

Thanks John and Steve :) Steve has it right - the 'palette' is from a hearing aid battery packet. I have lots.

Number one daughter is an Audiologist and has convinced me to wear a pair (third time lucky) by providing some that let you listen to the TV at your own volume. They also connect to my iPhone. She knows I'm a sucker for gadgets and got me!

18 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I’d never heard of tempera wash until I saw it used in one of Giorgio’s builds. but I have used Gouache at times.

Hope it’s not too hot for you today, our storms last night have cooled it down a bit today only 28deg when I last looked.

John

I'd never heard of it either John - thanks to Giorgio for pointing me at the method and helping out.

Too hot again today, sadly. 25o at 8am? Ridiculous. Raining though so, hopefully, it'll cool things down.

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Panel line wash looks pretty good! 

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

Good news! I'm a Dyson freak - I love their stuff. I bought an 'Air Multiplier' ages ago and it's keeping me cool now in the man cave. I bought a 'hot and cold' and leant it to daughter #2 when she moved into a freezing, rented flat and wrestled it back from her when she moved. That keeps me cool by the TV. The new one will go in the bedroom and I'm looking forward to the sleep timer for those hot nights.

17 hours ago, giemme said:

I use water and a smear of dish washing soap, to break up surface tension and let if flow. And it's a very watery mix, I prefer to do multiple passes until I reach the desired effect

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Multiple passes? There's that patient perfection again…

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You've given that a right pasting - in the best possible way Ced. Most lustrous! :clap:

Thanks Tony :D 

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks for posting that article Ced, very interesting. My poster paints don't get much love though:

"In fact, the poster tempera paint that are used in schools are not actually tempera at all!"

"Ready-made bottle tempera or poster paint is a toy for children, and the ingredients vary from manufacturer to manufacturer."

Ha! Anawanitia knows me too well.

Nice gouache weathering Ced.

Don't believe everything you read on the 'net Cookie - your results are amazing! :) 

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

12 hours ago, hendie said:

but perfect for shrimp!

i"ll just get me   :coat: and head for the   🚪

Thanks Keith and hendie :) Egg yolk eh? Messy as you say (except for dips!)

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

We bought a portable air conditioning thing for our bedroom last summer and it's pretty useless, the best result we've had is 2deg off the temperature after about 4 hours, waste of electricity.

John

Sorry to hear that John :( 

I did have a look at portable coolers and there are lots of 'fans with water tanks' out there. I was tempted by a portable a/c but they're quite heavy and I'd need to move it around.

Does yours have a hose that goes out of the window? I think that's the secret, otherwise you're just moving hot air about more quickly.

I'm hoping that the Dyson engineers have done it again with the new one - something to do with air movement technology. We shall see.

Anyhoo, what's next?

I did get out the WnW Camel and read through the paint emails I'd had with Jamie.

Still not brave enough.

Instead I've decided to do something about the shameful lack of Hurricanes on the ceiling:

Come on over!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Number one daughter is an Audiologist and has convinced me to wear a pair (third time lucky) by providing some that let you listen to the TV at your own volume. They also connect to my iPhone. She knows I'm a sucker for gadgets and got me!

Sounds a lot like what I need, I suspect #1 sons braces will take first priority though. :(

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We do have a cooler with a water tank which lives in the kitchen and works well, but it’s quite noisy so wouldn’t be suitable for a bedroom. The air con unit does have a hose which goes out of the window but it’s still not very good. At the moment we’re just keeping the room as cool as possible and using an oscillating pedestal fan.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sounds a lot like what I need, I suspect #1 sons braces will take first priority though. :(

Steve.

Ah, the sacrifices we make for our kids eh Steve? Good man… :) 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

We do have a cooler with a water tank which lives in the kitchen and works well, but it’s quite noisy so wouldn’t be suitable for a bedroom. The air con unit does have a hose which goes out of the window but it’s still not very good. At the moment we’re just keeping the room as cool as possible and using an oscillating pedestal fan.

John

That's disappointing John - complicated job choosing these things isn't it? :) 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, CedB said:

50045818473_a7387922e0_z.jpg

Crikey Ced, you don't half rattle them out! Look fabulous. I'm not late for this build, just taking my seat early for the next 'showing'. 😉:popcorn:

• Like 1