A26B Invader - Italeri 1/72

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Yuck. Have you tried a dampened cotton bud to smooth it?

Thanks Heather :) That's after a smoothed bud, believe it or not! It wet sanded OK though (see below)

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not bothered? Not bothered...?! Hardly 'proper' modellers speak Mr. Bufton..... :rofl2:

I know what you mean though, I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Roden T-28 and it really needs a semi gloss coat to even everything out and blend the decals in, but I'm so fed up with the thing I can't be bothered with that either!!

Still, the Invader is looking swish in its silver paste coat! I bought 4 or 5 tubes of that stuff when it first came out and still haven't opened them - must see if I can find them and give them a go!

K

Awww sorry Keith, but you're right of course.

get the paste out, you know you want to! :) 

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh man. Don’t be like that. I was just thinking how amazing the paste had gone on. At least you’re at the bench. I can’t get the urge to get up there. Having a few days off work. Currently in the hammock with a coffee.  Bliss in the sun but nightmarish for progress. 

You're right too Johnny, shouldn't let it get to me, it's this damned heat I tell you (over 25o here so I'm useless now)

I have settled down a bit and some Invader love is growing…

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Calibry scanner Ced? :whistle:

raw-6108.jpg

https://thor3dscanner.com/calibry

:evil_laugh:

Oooh, now then… thanks Tony :) 

But wait… "Designed to make 3D scanning affordable"? €4,990? I'm obviously in the wrong job… or was in… you know what I mean.

Only scans objects down to 20cm, sadly, so it'll have to stay scanning the cogs. Phew.

So, a bit calmer now (if hot).

How does the paste buff up?

50040771247_f864a62d59_w.jpg 50040583876_5e82993d27_w.jpg

Before and after gentle buffing. If you want really shiny you can apply thicker paste and really buff it hard (see the video).

Wet sanding the nose and re-painting worked OK:

50040601361_547ae03399_z.jpg

As did the bay doors:

50040050768_1635321673_z.jpg

So I've fitted the cowlings (no, they didn't fit well):

50040046923_8c22d3165f_z.jpg

one BIG benefit of the paste is that it's very smooth so will take the transfers.

No worry about silvering.

Not that you'll be able to see anyway…

• Like 16

20 hours ago, hendie said:

so you think Ced has ALL the tools he needs and will never need to buy any more?

I'll give you 10 to 1 there will be a new tool before this build is over!

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Giorgio has it right, thanks Giorgio :D 

All the tools I need? Not sure… there's that 3D printer…

Gentlemen, please note that I wrote "all the tools YOU need", not "all the tools HE needs" :winkgrin: . He's surely going to buy that 3D printer before we actually realize it... :rofl: :rofl: 

Excellent metallic effect already, Ced  :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

25? What are you moaning about? It's 35 here and it's 7pm!

40's coming very soon....

Ian

Moaning about the heat! :D 

I expect you have air conditioning somewhere? I'd love an air-conditioner but Mrs B (who loves the heat) is reluctant…

17 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking great in silver Ced, and the anti-glare panel sure cleaned up nicely.

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Gentlemen, please note that I wrote "all the tools YOU need", not "all the tools HE needs" :winkgrin: . He's surely going to buy that 3D printer before we actually realize it... :rofl: :rofl: 

Excellent metallic effect already, Ced  :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :rofl2:

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Agreed!!

Cheers Keith - pretty happy with the finish too, if not the thing it's on! :D 

4 hours ago, neil5208 said:

AK paste is looking good, do you put a clear coat on before applying the decals and have you airbrushed it on any kits?

Thanks Neil :) 

Brushed and scrubbed straight onto the plastic. I've tried it on primer before and it's fine, but doesn't scrub around as easily IIRC.

I tried airbrushing it on the Peacemaker and although the 'spoon test' went OK I don't think I had enough paste in the mix when I tried it on the model (scroll down a bit in both posts.)

I don't varnish at the end either to maintain the burnishing but, if you've gone for an even finish, that might be a good idea? I don't bother.

The main thing is to make sure you've scrubbed out the paste as much as possible or, as others have found, it will come off on your fingers, for ages.

Water bath on, topside transfers cut, off we go:

50043020171_ccba24eef6_z.jpg

First problem:

50042462633_620cbb683a_z.jpg

'12B' is the yellow tail topper. The only thing close is #9 on the common sheet and, as there's no round panel inboard of the nacelles I've only applied two.

I must recommend this for applying transfers though:

50042480058_c863d88965_n.jpg 50043294082_0749ffba1a_n.jpg

A Reeves flat #1. Brilliant.

I use it to apply a bit of Micro Set (blue one) to the area where the transfer is to go.

I use it to slide the transfer off the backing paper onto the model.

Then I press it on some paper towel and use it to brush down the transfer - those nylon (?) bristles soak up the excess a treat.

Next problem:

50043076996_7a7da1ff86_z.jpg

21B, not 11B. Also…

50042521293_28293e2941_z.jpg

No idea. The instructions have no writing so I've probably put 16 and 16B in the wrong places. Ho hum.

Although the instructions may be wrong the transfers perform beautifully:

50043358657_c2f5facdff_z.jpg

Cartograf - that'll be why then.

Starting to enjoy the model, it fought back:

50043102751_9d4d4fe2ed_z.jpg

Hate it.

Top and port side complete:

50043361017_0bfc6c742f_z.jpg

/Englishman mode on

I took a break to make the coffee and post this but look what's happened:

50043135086_fae47c1d4b_n.jpg 50043413862_09f26cfe54_n.jpg

Getting hotter…quickly.

This damned heat will slow me down.

/Englishman mode off

(I tried to think of a reason why Ian and others, including Mrs B, enjoy the heat and I hate it. No idea. Must be genes. No, not jeans, I'm not Clarkson)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

(I tried to think of a reason why Ian and others, including Mrs B, enjoy the heat and I hate it. No idea. Must be genes. No, not jeans, I'm not Clarkson)

The a/c is definitely the reason Ced! I have mine set to 21. 25 in the house is, as you say, way too hot! It's too hot to even drive around with the roof down during the afternoon!

Ian

• Like 1

This is looking really good Ced, the paste seems like an idea worth checking out after seeing your result, especially after my recent my recentish mustang builds where I was not happy with ANY of the Humbrol silvers. (All I could get in a hurry as lockdown loomed. :( )  Probably work quite well for the one of these I have in stock too. :)

Steve 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

The a/c is definitely the reason Ced! I have mine set to 21. 25 in the house is, as you say, way too hot! It's too hot to even drive around with the roof down during the afternoon!

Ian

Aha! Thought so… I have been known in previous years to go out in the car, the only thing we have with a/c (at the moment!) :D 

27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking really good Ced, the paste seems like an idea worth checking out after seeing your result, especially after my recent my recentish mustang builds where I was not happy with ANY of the Humbrol silvers. (All I could get in a hurry as lockdown loomed. :( )  Probably work quite well for the one of these I have in stock too. :)

Steve 

Thanks Steve :)

As I've said before I love the paste - nice and easy and non-smelly.

Humbrol? I've never achieved a decent result - too lumpy - but I haven't tried their special metals.

Alclad? Loved by some but for me the fact that it needs special base coats and shows up any scratches makes it 'reserved' for proper modellers. Smelly too.

Vallejo Model Air? Now then, their 71.063 'Silber' was recommended here for HSS and I like most of their metal colours (though I've only tried one of the Metal range)

Others? 

I did lots of tests on the Peacemaker build and again on the Blackbird (it wasn't black!) I did start looking for links but both builds are, how can I say, verbose?

I'd have a go with the paste and see what you think.

Final round.

Sometimes I have to take a photo to see which way up the tiny transfer go. Like this:

50042761743_060b094ed4_n.jpg

The hardest transfers were the four that make up the red stripe around the nose:

50043590157_235d2580b4_z.jpg

Fiddly.

Done now:

50042779318_da4d13060f_z.jpg

I'll let those dry, glue on the cowling (again), fit the props, bay doors and aerial wire and we're finished!

More to come but RFI soon, I hope.

if this heat goes off…

• Like 15

As others have said, you have achieved a stunning metal effect, totally realistic! :clap: 

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Cartograf - that'll be why then.

That's just about the only tolerable kind of decals for me. Will see with the kindly donated Xtradecals, I only heard good things about them :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

/Englishman mode off

(I tried to think of a reason why Ian and others, including Mrs B, enjoy the heat and I hate it. No idea.

I'm only half English (just) but fully agree, I absolutely hate the heat. You know how some retired people like to spend the winter in Spain or somesuch, well I'd like to 'oversummer' in Antarctica....!!

Still, you're making great progress on the silver machine Ced, it looks superb despite the pesky nacelle! Managed to get my T-28 into RFI last night, was all fired up to get on with something else today, but the damned heat has completely drained me and I've ended up just lying in a dark room with the fan on full blast....!! 

Keith

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

'm only half English (just) but fully agree, I absolutely hate the heat.

I'm not english at all (some may call me a "Kraut" :whistle:)  but I can honestly and sincerly telll you as a not retired person,  that I hate heat over 22° C here at all. Especially, when it gets humid evertime after 2 or 3 days. Btw as much as Sauerkraut. So I'm expecting some heavy storms at the weekend.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A very interesting build.

I have an Italeri A-26 in my stash, and now I'm eager to get started!

Could it be that Italeri included the wrong canopy?

I've read that late-production A-26's were equipped with the "Clamshell Canopy",  from the 30 production block onwards.

The variant you have used looks like the flat-top cockpit with a single hatch, opening forward on the Navigator's side?

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced

Simply superb mate, just wow!

Thanks Bill :D Much appreciated

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Seconded. That looks very realistic Ced!

Thanks Ben :) Glad you like it

2 hours ago, hendie said:

nice job Ced.  love that metal finish

Thanks hendie - AK paste rules, OK? :D 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

As others have said, you have achieved a stunning metal effect, totally realistic! :clap: 

That's just about the only tolerable kind of decals for me. Will see with the kindly donated Xtradecals, I only heard good things about them :) 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, great praise coming from you :) 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm only half English (just) but fully agree, I absolutely hate the heat. You know how some retired people like to spend the winter in Spain or somesuch, well I'd like to 'oversummer' in Antarctica....!!

Still, you're making great progress on the silver machine Ced, it looks superb despite the pesky nacelle! Managed to get my T-28 into RFI last night, was all fired up to get on with something else today, but the damned heat has completely drained me and I've ended up just lying in a dark room with the fan on full blast....!! 

Keith

Thanks Keith - I'm with you matey! :) Fan on here too - blowing hot air…

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

I disappear for two days and you`ve nigh finished!!!

Nice work Ced.

As for the heat it was registering 30 .C in our flat at lunchtime.

Keep cool.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Crikey, 30! Unbearable... just under 26 here and I'm melting.

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

I'm not english at all (some may call me a "Kraut" :whistle:)  but I can honestly and sincerly telll you as a not retired person,  that I hate heat over 22° C here at all. Especially, when it gets humid evertime after 2 or 3 days. Btw as much as Sauerkraut. So I'm expecting some heavy storms at the weekend.

Cheers

I'm with you Ben - 22 is nice, anything hotter is misery… :) 

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

A very interesting build.

I have an Italeri A-26 in my stash, and now I'm eager to get started!

Could it be that Italeri included the wrong canopy?

I've read that late-production A-26's were equipped with the "Clamshell Canopy",  from the 30 production block onwards.

The variant you have used looks like the flat-top cockpit with a single hatch, opening forward on the Navigator's side?

Thanks Roman :) You may be right but I'm afraid I'm not 'up' on the type. It is though, I think, a hatch over the pilot and, maybe, one on the other side?

44 minutes ago, hendie said:

the same build you left on? or a new one?

Not a new one hendie - too hot to decide.

Exhausted by the heat and by 'helping' Mrs B choose a new set of garden tables and chairs (I hate shopping) I've finished the model and taken some pictures but I really can't be bothered to do an RFI - too hot.

Here you go:

50043921761_85c8c32348_z.jpg

50043921751_9503c3e14e_z.jpg

Nice frames, nasty anti-glare:

50043362033_da31920265_z.jpg

Aerials in:

50043362078_590e64e6bf_z.jpg

I use Infini Lycra for my favourite models - this one got EZ Line.

I ignore the invisible thread down the tail (you can see it?) - that's for this shot:

50043921776_b84bd14896_c.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

As always, thanks to everyone for their help, support and companionship during this build- really appreciated.

I haven't decided on the next build yet but I'll come back and post a link.

When it gets cooler…

• Like 20

As I said, I really love the metallic finished you've achieved :clap:  But before hanging this on the ceiling, may I suggest you try a mid-grey panel lines wash (and maybe a black one along the movable surfaces inner edges and around often opened hatches)?

Maybe just on a little area underneath .... wait, this is going on the ceiling ... OK, on a little area on the top, so that if you don't like it you just leave it alone? I think the end result would greatly benefit from that ... :whistle: :) 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1