1/700 Injection Moulded CVA-01 Royal Navy Carrier Project

https://www.facebook.com/578687555525620/photos/a.616918948369147/3172390649488618/?type=3&theater

CVA-01 was the intended class of new build carriers from the 1960's to replace our aging War built carriers like Eagle, Ark Royal, Hermes and Victorious. They were designed for the modern Jet age, making use of the new ideas and technology. Had they been built then they would have replaced Ark and/or Eagle in the 70's and would now be being replaced by some form of Conventional QEC class

If anyone is interested Mike at Imperial Hobby Productions is looking to do the CVA-01 in 1/700 should there be enough interest to justify the manufacturing costs. he has already produced the excellent HMS Colossus Light Fleet Carrier from 1945.

Note this is just gauging the interest in CVA-01, as the 60's design makes it an interesting but relatively straight forward kit to produce. The new QEC class would require royalties making such a a project prohibitive for a small producer,  The Carriers like Ark Royal, Eagle, Hermes etc's are much more complicated in shape and form making them too expensive to produce and they are already covered by Atlantic Models and Orange Hobby

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too always thought it was very short-sighted - and of course justified by the argument that the RAF made that they could reach anywhere on the planet by aircraft but had to move Australia to do so - but recently I was watching a BBC programme on the history of Britain since 1945.  As a country, we were apparently desperately close to being bankrupt in 1966 so I can sort of understand why the government would wish to cancel a high cost but also relatively high risk project as the costs were ever increasing as the deign was matured.

• 1 month later...

If I can get this to work right, here is a link to the IHP page. With enough interest (and up-front money) this kit will see the light of day. 

http://ihphobby.tripod.com/700shipkits/cva01.html

Although warship modelling is not a primary interest of mine I have always been fascinated by the CVA-01 project and its in service potential had it gone ahead. I have no particular knowledge of its relative capabilities, but to my eye they look to be very handsome ships, the epitome of British naval design of that period.

So for that reason and that reason alone, I'm in! 

Order placed - and finger crossed!

Rich

PS It'll look great alongside a 1/700 QE class carrier (surely someone is working on producing one...) or maybe that 1/72 TSR-2  I'll build one day! :wink:    

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, Chewbacca said:

I too always thought it was very short-sighted - and of course justified by the argument that the RAF made that they could reach anywhere on the planet by aircraft but had to move Australia to do so - but recently I was watching a BBC programme on the history of Britain since 1945.  As a country, we were apparently desperately close to being bankrupt in 1966 so I can sort of understand why the government would wish to cancel a high cost but also relatively high risk project as the costs were ever increasing as the deign was matured.

Seems nothing changes ....as I mused entering harbour on DRAGON past two glorified car parks ...for 48 if we are lucky B models 😐

Main Pension day this Thursday for me, so I’m chipping in for this model as I missed out on the HMS Ark Royal Model. As there is a few things on this IHP model I can used for reference in my Malta Class build which I’ve been wanting to start for sometime.

• 1 month later...

So does anyone know if this is going to happen? Did they get enough orders? Or is it a case of art imitating life... and Project Cancelled? :hmmm:

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:42 AM, RichG said:

So does anyone know if this is going to happen? Did they get enough orders? Or is it a case of art imitating life... and Project Cancelled? :hmmm:

Rich

IHP posted this on 10/02. I'd say the project is on life support at the moment - 

Well, the deadline for 1/700 CVA-01 kits came and went. We don't have enough reservations at the deadline to start the project now, but they are still trickling in at an encouraging enough rate. Since this is a project I personally really want to do, we're going to continue taking reservations and see in a few months where we are at. We're at a little over 100 kits, and a few hundred at least would do it.

So, continue with preorders if you haven't already, or if you think you might want more of them. Thanks to everyone who has preordered so far!

http://ihphobby.tripod.com/700shipkits/cva01.html

Also there was a note a few days ago if you want the plastic 1/700 Colossus, it is almost sold out will go out of production. 

• 3 months later...