Modified Model T, sometime during the Great War, North Africa...

Before the SAS and their modified Willys...before the LRDG and their Chevys...before László Almásy and his desert explorations...there were these guys.  The Light Car Patrol.  Model T Fords, driven by English, Australians, South Africans, Kiwis...from east to west across the roof of Africa, charting paths from one oasis to the next.  This kit is the RPM US Marine Gunnery car, fixed up a little bit cooler than that.  I used online sources (many to be had) as well as the excellent "Light Car Patrol 1916-19" book.  Excellent pictures and better reading.  These were the original Desert Rats.

Lots of scratch building.  The PE seat is from Eduard.  Lewis gun from the soarer box.  Almost everything else scavenged and scratched except the kit itself.  The kit was alright.  It has its faults.  The axles are too wide for the body.  No attachment points so it is "guess and glue".

All the paints are Vallejo and Vallejo Air.  The dirt is from outside in the carpark.  The map in the background is one of two reproductions from the LCP book.  

The WiP is here...

50009000177_4734eecf45_c_d.jpg

50008207343_8388706a45_c_d.jpg

50008207298_64e60290d7_c_d.jpg

50008737886_02955277d3_c_d.jpg

50008737946_cdd8d9c2d2_c_d.jpg

And something to show some scale...

50008805851_4a75ba7c29_c_d.jpg

Now...László Almásy...that gives me an idea...I think I have a ZIS-AA in the stash somewhere...Hmmm...dare I?

--John

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, President Trff said:

an education to boot.

Thanks John.  Neither did I until I saw a 1/35th scale Model T from ICM.  Alas, not my scale, but still...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-35668-model-t-1917-lcp-with-anzac-crew--1286784

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Well, that didn't take you long. Good work.

Thanks Stuart.  Yes...and the post still has not delivered any of my decals or new Corsair kits from the Big Yellow Store.  Perhaps today I will be lucky.

In the meantime, while passing the time, I have started this...

50012012792_fdcc9dd1d6_k_d.jpg

I am not going to start a WiP thread for this.  Just build and have fun.  I will put it in the RFI category when it is completed.

--John

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Your LCP model T truck looks great. :thumbsup:

Thank you Dennis.  It was fun, for sure.  What I have to do now is go through all the GB threads and catch up on all the other builds from other people that I have neglected to support! 

The post office here (Greece) is swamped with Covid-19 mail and, as a result, all of my decal orders are still somewhere out there.  I would like to finish the RNZAF Corsair...Leaving things undone feels unnatural.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:40 AM, John Masters said:

Now...László Almásy...that gives me an idea...I think I have a ZIS-AA in the stash somewhere...Hmmm...dare I?

My word yes, the whole topic of these early desert explorers right through to the LRDG & SAS are great favourites of mine. I must see if I can track down the Light Car Patrols book. I did buy the book on Almazy's wartime expedition, Operation Salaam last year & would love to see one of his vehicles modelled.

Steve.

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

What model of Ford were those cars?  Ford C11?

Thats right John, 3 Ford C11ADFs & 3 Ford CMP F8s

Some photos in this review here.

I googled the Light Car Patrols 1916-19, a bit on the spendy side for me just now but did see this one which would be a more general volume & sounds like it might have appeal to me, better price too.

Steve.

• Thanks 1