Lakenheath F-15C Down

andyf117

Vessel finder a few minutes ago showed a coastguard helo still on station, a lifeboat head to the area at high speed and a number of rig support and rescue craft in the area. The KC135 is still apparently on station, presumably listening out for a beacon. A military ship is also in the area, but not identified. 

Hope they find him ok - can't be nice (hopefully) sitting in a dinghy in the for hours on end, even if it's a warm day here :S

I'm currently seeing a KC-10 that launched out of Mildenhall two hours ago that's been orbiting the approximate area, whilst flying dog-legs a little further to the north and northwest is an RC-135 that was previously on station over Estonia...

....live updates ongoing here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-suffolk-53051437

Edited by andyf117

BBC reporting wreckage found but not pilot so far

he got off a mayday call so presumably had time to eject?  And one hopes that his personal survival kit worked as advertised

edit. On re-reading the BBC article it says confusingly that HM Coastguard broadcast a Mayday so it looks like maybe the pilot didn’t get one off. Here’s hoping he is ok and found

Edited by JohnT
  • Like 1

Its not looking good. If the seat had fired im told the locator bacon would have activated. 

Hoping he is found, but after this time?

Julien

Looking at some of photos of the coast, the visibility is not good which is going to hamper searches. The North Sea coast gets a lot of sea mists, especially the further north you go. The mists often spread inland down the Vale of York almost as far as Leeds. However, you are right and it is a time now. I suppose the locater beacon could have failed or been damaged. I wonder if the rest of the flight saw anything. There are reports of one of aircraft seen landing with a damaged canopy. My thoughts go out to the pilots family and his colleagues. 

My understanding is that it was a flight of four - seeing the report of one aircraft returning with a cracked canopy immediately suggested birdstrike to me...

....there is now one of Mildenhall's MC-130s at low level to the northeast of the previously-mentioned KC-10 - whilst that is now orbiting at about half the altitude than before after apparently rendezvousing briefly with a Mildenhall KC-135...

15 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

My understanding is that it was a flight of four - seeing the report of one aircraft returning with a cracked canopy immediately suggested birdstrike to me...

....there is now one of Mildenhall's MC-130s at low level to the northeast of the previously-mentioned KC-10 - whilst that is now orbiting at about half the altitude than before after apparently rendezvousing briefly with a Mildenhall KC-135...

Different jet, the jet who squeaked an emergency for the damaged canopy was a 494th F-15E  

My thoughts are with the folks at Lakenheath following the announcement of the pilot now being found sadly deceased. 

Very sad news...

The KC-10 currently seems to be refuelling the afore-mentioned MC-130, which explains the earlier reduction in altitude - meanwhile, a second MC-130 is outbound to the crash area...

....a MV-22 also briefly appeared on screen in the vicinity, but that's not visible at present...

Edited by andyf117