HMS Mourne

npb748r

on this day in 1944 HMS Mourne, a river class frigate, was sunk by U-767 which was itself sunk three days later. One of those who did not survive the Mourne sinking was my dad's brother, a 19 year old stoker first class.  A few months after the sinking, their home in London was hit by a V1 and destroyed along with virtually everything they owned. I am lucky enough to have his last letter home to my nan (which was sent a few days before his death), the telegram from the king informing her of his death and his service records, etc. Last year I picked up the Sterling Models 1/350 river class resin kit which is moving to the top of my "to build this year" list, it will be my first resin kit and I wondered if anyone else on Britmodeller had built it ?? 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi. I've only just seen this. Sounds like your family suffered much during WWII. The letter must be an incredible link to the past for you, and quite special.

I also have the Starling 1/350 River class, but have yet to build it. It is certainly a top quality casting and I am looking forward to tackling it.

I will look out for your build, and if I start mine first, will make sure you are aware!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Starling Algerine is superb; I haven’t built it, but a mate has and he was raving about how good it was / is.  I have heard equally good things about the River, so you could be in for a treat - if that’s the word, with a back story like that.  

• Like 1