Test Bucc

Hi all, hope you don’t mind me joining in, but I’ve finally sourced an Airfix kit from Evilbay. No decals, instructions or box...but the important parts have arrive. I have a NeOmega cockpit and wheel well, and some Kit-World decals are on the way.

172OLSs.png

Cheers for now

Si

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all, yes she’ll be red, white, blue, green, grey and primer😉

So here’s a little update between the building work to the man cave.

JOfxHoZ.jpg
First I cut the tabs off the intakes, from previous experience😉

viGBxbq.jpg
work to the undercarriage 

k3Wv4uj.jpg
in place

DsBAy0y.jpg

cockpit finished (NeOmega) and main undercarriage done.

1apvyLa.jpg
scratch built pylon and cameras, little bit of artistic license, as high quality photos seem to be as rare as hens teeth😂

Anyway that’s all from me at the mo, so any comments and encouragement are welcome (good or bad).

Cheers Si

• Like 12

13 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good - sounds like we're both building the same aircraft - XW987?

Yes we are, as a model club we have a theme of “testing times” so I’m in the middle of 4 1/48 aircraft. I’ve already built the ACT Jag and a Hawk. This Bucc is next followed by the VAAC Harrier.

I’m loving the progress your making and watching to get some pointers👍  Im enjoying the GB and this is my second entrant. 

Cheers Si 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

Yes we are, as a model club we have a theme of “testing times” so I’m in the middle of 4 1/48 aircraft. I’ve already built the ACT Jag and a Hawk. This Bucc is next followed by the VAAC Harrier.

I’m loving the progress your making and watching to get some pointers👍  Im enjoying the GB and this is my second entrant. 

Cheers Si 

Cool! I think you’re going to town on the detail a bit more than me though. I love your scratch-built cameras.

Im thinking about doing the VAAC Harrier and the ACT Jag too - have you posted the Jag on BM?

• Like 1

...Her goes

IE7XlBS.jpg
So I placed tabs the interlinked (like putting a vacform together) and slowly worked from the leading edge wing root back and forward. The major problem is that the lower half was shorted by 4mm so lots of clamps and fudgery to get it together...

U3gCBic.jpg

So let the filling begin. I use automotive epoxy glaze as it sands beautifully, doesn’t shrink, and if you put a bit more hardener in you can sand almost immediately. So, fill, sand, repeat 🤯

2dgcoM3.jpg
you do have to be quick tho😂
JGcELAe.jpg

Now, the holes are dealt with plast-card shims.

97jbdSz.jpg

i re-did the tail pipes, I had to shorten them, because they fouled the resin wheel wells, the new exhaust is from the Airfix lightning (don’t panic I have resin replacements😉). I also fitted the prominent “probe thingies” with plastic rod, the do look a little thick....but I’m not redoing them. 
p6JtbHg.jpg
new compressor faces to replace the bloody awful Airfix rendition. 
Any way that’s it for now, thanks for looking.

Cheers Si 

• Like 7

So Here’s a little update....

LmYEeFq.jpg

The airbrakes, just wow🤯🤯🤯. It’s 7 parts in loose formation that vaguely fit, so after test fitting and trimming, and more test fitting (over and over) I got to a point where they kinda went together. Now that was as pairs, then making sure that was slowly working around so they all fitted to each other, again as pairs because there are no way to locate any of them together. So how to get them together...basically I used lots of Tamiya quick set, then when the joint was soft I could manipulate to get a good resemblance of closed brakes....and not destroying the raised details....Now I know why I modelled my Navy Bucc with the brakes open🤔

mzgSUx0.jpg

I then had a go at riveting, but the finish is so fine, it’s at odds with the rest of the kit. It’s at this point I made the decision that I can’t turn a “sows ear Into a silk purse” and can only do the best of my ability with plastic I’m given.

tHG4bdg.jpg
so after many hours of sanding, checking and resanding we get here......🤯

saF2jD8.jpg

so this is what we get after 1200 Mr Surfacer...more work on the sink marks on the nose😔

sPSS4t2.jpg

and the wheel wells look pretty good....thanks “G” @neomega resin.  Can’t believe the tool makers panel lines on the nose...bloody awful. Strange because my Navy bird is not this bad...think I may have a poor moulding, anyway enough whinging, think I need to pause and have a crack at the 1/32 Revell P-51D to recover my mojo.

Thank you all for your support and kind words...till next time

Si 

• Like 6

On 7/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, Covjets13 said:

at this point I made the decision that I can’t turn a “sows ear Into a silk purse” and can only do the best of my ability with plastic I’m given

I've reached the same conclusion! Looking good Si - looks like the worst of it is behind you

So let the adventures in masking begin....

I sprayed white all over

lRtEiwb.jpg

HZ8Toju.jpg
Masked all ready for the red

daQnDtM.jpg

I then masked again for the blue, but didn’t photo that, I was more focused on going through reels and reels of tape 

HPAvwxy.jpg

DisAzMO.jpg

Now...yet more masking...

Z9RCMcC.jpg

MBg2OfQ.jpg

This shows the bomb bay, masked and pershaded. I also masked the tail and intakes. I’m really impressed with the Hippo tape, it lifts up easily and doesn’t remove paint and leaves No residue.

NLmZSE1.jpg

tail painted, fin flash decaled and then given a matt coat, then time to remove yet more masking tape.

3pAUcD6.jpg

So, after 4 reels of Tamiya tape, we have a raspberry ripple Bucc. I have some touch up bits to do, and a small bit of filling that I missed on join behind the exhausts. So I’m now leaving it to harden and build something much easier for a day or two so I can crack on with the wheel well and decaling. 

Here’s a pic of the Revell Mustang cockpit I’ve been working on, I hope you don’t mind the distraction.

6yjR8Gt.jpg
best £15 I ever spent.

Cheers

Si 

• Like 8