Hasegawa 1/48 Sabre MK4 RAF

I have the Hasegawa 1/48 F86 Sabre RAF kit in the stash, however I would like to build this in USAF Korean war markings if possible

The problem is I dont know exactly what model of Sabre with which wings i have in the box, possibly an F86 F30 with the 6-3 wing with the small fence ?

If any one can provide me with some accurate information I would be most grateful

Also would I be correct in thinking neither Academy or Hasegawa have produced a slatted wing Sabre in 1/48

Many thanks in advance

52 minutes ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

possibly an F86 F30 with the 6-3 wing with the small fence ?

AFAIK, yes.

Plenty of F-30 Sabres in Korea though.

52 minutes ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

Also would I be correct in thinking neither Academy or Hasegawa have produced a slatted wing Sabre in 1/48

Correct.  

I'll stick a @Sabrejet in case of blunders on my part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

I have the Hasegawa 1/48 F86 Sabre RAF kit in the stash, however I would like to build this in USAF Korean war markings if possible

The problem is I dont know exactly what model of Sabre with which wings i have in the box, possibly an F86 F30 with the 6-3 wing with the small fence ?

If any one can provide me with some accurate information I would be most grateful

Many thanks in advance

The Hasegawa "RAF" F-86F is a hard-edge aircraft with wing fence, so will be OK for Korea but depends on which aircraft you want to model. So far no-one has kitted a 1/48 F-86F with separate slats (prepared to be shot down in flames on that if I'm wrong :) ). Even the old Monogram F-86F has the hard-edge wing, so it's curious.

That Academy F-86F is similar but AFAIK has only been kitted as a hard-edge F-86F - again OK for Korean War but with the provisos above. As with most F-86 kits, they need configuring to be fully accurate (intakes etc).

The Airfix Sabre 4 isn't out yet - possibly later this year by the looks of it. It also will be a 'hard edge' version. Doh.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

So far no-one has kitted a 1/48 F-86F with separate slats

RedRoo models does a conversion set: https://www.redroomodels.com/product/red-roo-early-sabre-narrow-chord-wing-with-slats-1-48-scale/

Peter

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Rozendal said:

and shows out of stock.

a quick search should bring up what others have done to get the slatted narrow wing.

Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

19 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Airfix just released a Sabre MK 4 or im wrong?

Due out later this year and will probably have the 6-3 wing.  Possibility of a slatted wing version to follow but not guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

Due out later this year and will probably have the 6-3 wing.  Possibility of a slatted wing version to follow but not guaranteed.

Due out later this year and will have the 6-3 wing. No possibility of a narrow-chord slatted wing. :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Due out later this year and will have the 6-3 wing. No possibility of a narrow-chord slatted wing. :(

What were they thinking at Hornby? One set of wing sprues with positionable slats in the box, file/sand back the 6" extension on the LE of the wing stub on  the fuselage, and they wouldn't be able to mold/box them fast enough! Are we ever going to get an accurate pre -30 Sabre in 1/72 or 1/48 in our lifetime? 🥺

Mike

• Like 1

On 16/06/2020 at 06:24, Sabrejet said:

I can see why they have not done it as an option, but to competently rule it out for another boxing is maybe a bit short sighted. 

The Red Roo set I believe is the Scooby Doo set, wish they would re-release it. @Ed Russell any plans? might sell a few when the new Airfix hit hits the shops?

Kasl hobby do a nice F-40 set in 1/48 but nothing else. 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:52 AM, coneheadff said:

I found a file Jennings provided a long time ago...before he got banned all over the internet. 

spacer.png

There is a resin slat set available...

F-86F-40 slats

Thanks - I remember seeing that but didn't copy it. I have now!

(And that raises a  question - what did Jennings do to get banned all over the place?)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

(And that raises a  question - what did Jennings do to get banned all over the place?)

Lets not go there pls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Julien said:

The Red Roo set I believe is the Scooby Doo set, wish they would re-release it. @Ed Russell any plans? might sell a few when the new Airfix hit hits the shops?

Will be in stock shortly - there seems to be some world-wide mail problem at the moment - make sure you are on our mailing list to be notified of when we have them.

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Will be in stock shortly - there seems to be some world-wide mail problem at the moment - make sure you are on our mailing list to be notified of when we have them.

Thanks Ed. Yes worldwide airmail is not good at the moment. Companies reporting orders being returned and other companies with long lists of destinations they cant sere ATM

Julien

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2020 at 06:50, Ed Russell said:

Back in stock now.

Mine arrived in both 1.72 and 1.48 well worth the purchase, along with the added bonus of not being held for VAT as well :D 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tarlucan said:

Looking at the Airfix F.4 sprues, it looks like there may be a future release with slatted wings in a similar vein to the separate Hunter boxings. Maybe at last a slatted narrow chord sabre?

Nope; sensors indicate due to the MB seat and separate wingtips, I see a long winged Norwegian release.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

sensors indicate due to the MB seat and separate wingtips, I see a long winged Norwegian release.

Tony

I'm not well versed in Sabre detail, so perhaps you can clarify an aspect of the above comment,  from looking at this

y4mNnuKUsZpiqwmo52kIC-J9FP66ZIp7LcL5kx8u

the long span Norwegian variant you mention, does that have a slatted wing? 

And, if so, are the slats the same as the original narrow wing?    Which is a clumsy way to ask if there is a long wing Norwegian Sabre,  would this then need a slatted wing, and could this then be modified back to the original wing plan? 

As an aside, I know that Hasegawa (and Revell reboxed)  a version of the F 86-F30 kit, as a Canadair Mk.6 and with resin wing tips, as a F 86-F40,  did they just ignore the need for slats?  

I'll put a @Sabrejetin as well,   

cheers

Edited by Troy Smith
added 'not' as didn't make sense otherwise