Any good masking sheets?

lifeofbrian

6 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

Some extra details might help. What are you trying to mask? How large is the surface area? 

Large camo patterns. for an F-105 1/48 at the moment. I've ordered some Artool Ultra mask sheet, I'll see how that works out but I obviously don't want to keep wasting money trying things, I'd much rather have someone tell me what works.

spacer.png

This is what I made for the Thud, tracing the manual.

A couple of options that I use...

One is Oracal 810. This is tacky enough for use on models, is flexible enough and can be stretched a bit to follow something like the curves of a 1/72 fuselage. It's also quite thin, that is always a good thing.

However for camouflage masking I still prefer using "paper" masks, as adhesive masking paper in my experience is even better when I have to make this adhere to smaller parts.. and working mainly in 1/72 some parts are pretty small, think for example of a drop tank. My preferred product is the A4 size Kabuki sheet sold by Maketar in Serbia

https://shop.maketar.com/?product=print-cut-a4-yellow-kabuki-sheet

This picture shows masks cut from this material on a 1/72 Spitfire:

a03e4898-5a6f-4f63-bc5f-cebb8cbbc565.JPG

In general kabuki paper can not be cut with the same precision as vynil or oracal, so I would not use this for say masking codes or very small items. However when it comes to camo schemes generally this material works well enough and has the advantage of being easier to stick and stay in place on the model. It also "fills" panel lines pretty well, so minimising the risk of paint bleed in these points. At the same time as if does not really stretches, whenever there are bumps something must be done to take this into account, reason why in the picture above the prominent gun bulges over the wings have been masked with tape ( I had cut the masks with holes in these areas.

Here's the result on the same model:

5b0eec41-502c-4500-9042-4dbe090e8182.JPG

Where these masks are inferior to the Oracal is in price... they are £ 6 plust postage from Serbia while I can get the Oracal 810 for a round € 1 a sheet from a shop 300 m from my place... Have to say that I've also recently used Oracal to mask the camo scheme on an FW.190 model, not finished yet but results seem promising.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Giorgio N said:

Thanks for the tips. That Oramask looks suspiciously like the Artool Ultra mask I bought, which seems very good, I'll know tomorrow after I get airbushing. I stuck it on the other day and it holds well yet peels off easy.

Cheers.