Su-22, 1/144, Minicraft

Su-22 Fitter K | 1/144 | Minicraft

Hungary

JQmDOF6.jpg

I finished this one on 6/7/2020.  The Su-22 is the export version of the Su-17 Fitter, which itself is a variable geometry adaptation of the Su-7 Fitter.

If you love masking this is the kit for you! Not only did it have a 4-color camouflage scheme, but the pylons had to be masked for 3 different colors and the flash-guard by the guns had to be masked.  It was still quite a bit of fun.  I purchased this a couple years ago for practically nothing (maybe $5?).  At the time I was really getting into Sukhoi aircraft and it seemed like the 1/72 kits of this plane were either hard to find or expensive, so this fit the bill at the time!

The kit was better than most Minicraft 1/144 models I've done, however it confirms my first law of modeling: If something is designed to be shown in one position, it will look terrible in another position.  In this case, the canopy was designed to be shown open, so of course, gluing it closed revealed a large gap at the bottom of the canopy.  If I'd known it early in the build, I would've filled it, but as is I left it because it's hard to see when its on the shelf.

Paints: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black > Mr. Color 303 / 302 / 312 / 310 top > Hataka RLM 65 / Ak interactive polished aluminum (bottom)

Decals:  Kit decals

u3MeYkq.jpg

gHk37MZ.jpg

g8eYEQR.jpg

u5V6wK4.jpg

njRWWdi.jpg

tfb805v.jpg

AMqwIhc.jpg

5yrzX7R.jpg

GxVlPUY.jpg

iYhvBZc.jpg

5zZTpzB.jpg

This picture's a little blurry but shows the different metal shades used: Alclad Stainless Steel (with a dusting of dark aluminum) for the gun flash-guards, Alclad RAF high speed silver for the drop-tanks and lower half of the pylons, and Testor's gunmetal for the guns.  

yq0CdwA.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcomed!

Edited by opus999
Corrected a paint number
  • Like 7

Wow, what a great job! The masking has really paid off as the camo is so well done. I love that you have put the effort into the detail despite the scale (my favourite scale hands down) and its a cracking build. Bravo sir.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, tim d said:

Wow, what a great job! The masking has really paid off as the camo is so well done. I love that you have put the effort into the detail despite the scale (my favourite scale hands down) and its a cracking build. Bravo sir.

Thanks!  I love 144 for bombers and big fighters.  The hardest part for me is weathering -- it's hard for me to judge how much is enough in this scale! 

On 6/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, Wulfman said:

Lovely build on the small Su, very nice modelling !

Wulfman

Thank you!  It was a lot of fun, but a 144 build doesn't go any faster than a 72 build! :D