Airfix Fairey Swordfish Mk1, 1/72

In my earlier modelling career, I hated biplanes with a vengeance. Horrible trying to get the wings on and lined up without everything turning into a horrible gluey mess, fragile when finished, impossible to paint. The idea of rigging one never even occurred to me. The one exception I recall was an Airfix (I think) Swordfish in white plastic. It was still a sticky mess, but it was actually robust enough to last the course.

So as part of the learning challenge of getting back into this game - having got most of the basics to a passable standard - can I get a biplane together and rig it...? At that point memory pointed me in the direction of a Stringbag and here we are...

The basic kit, in comparison to my previous Blenheim, just fell together. I was expecting the internal framework to be a proper wrestle, but it all just worked. The one fly in the ointment was that the 2 fuselage halves were covered in moulding flaws - like someone had taken a dremel to the tooling. Easy enough to scrape off I guess...

The rigging element was a lot of thinking and planning first. I ended up painting all the wing halves individually, assembled the lower wing upper surfaces and the upper wing lower surfaces onto the fuselage, getting all the wiring done (Uschi line - impressive stuff) through predrilled holes, then sticking the outer surfaces on to hide the grot. Somewhat stressful, and I can't say I'm desperate to do it again, but I know the theory works now!

Anyway - the pics...

50006523842_172a124aaa_b.jpg

50006523387_8ab8ca725c_b.jpg

50005741898_fafcb2994b_b.jpg

50006526122_a23bce3aa0_b.jpg

50006526637_ef9da74139_b.jpg

50006268201_fd6f27dfb9_b.jpg

50005740963_c82ed9ac57_b.jpg

50006524277_025ae82195_b.jpg

• Like 36

Excellent build. And the rigging looks the perfect size, not oversized. Makes for a very convincing representation of the real thing. You can be mighty proud of that one!

What did you use for rigging?

Uschi Line. It’s a variation on the EZ Line theme. Massively stretchy, that’s for sure.

I like the darker scheme over the more usual white.

A Battle of Taranto participant - it’s one of the OOB schemes  

I feel your pain about bi-planes, so have yet to tackle one myself. Your Swordfish looks stunning, so well done on the endeavor.  If I ever do a bi-plane, that's the one I would also do. 

Cheers,

Mark