Adhesives......what's available

mackem01

I use GS-Hypo Cement.  it's a watch crystal glue, which doesn't cloud your canopy, but it does string a bit if you're not careful with the application, so remove the strings before you apply the canopy :)

GS hypo cement is my go to clear adhesive. As @Mike says it can be a bit stringy but it has a good initial grab and sets very quickly. It is crystal clear and isn't permanent like some glues if you have boobed you can carefully remove the canopy with a sharp blade to cut the glue seam. It's also flexible an accidental knock won't remove it. It doesn't damage paint.

You can also get Bostik Clear which is similar but not quite as clear and isn't as flexible.

19 hours ago, Mike said:

I use GS-Hypo Cement.  it's a watch crystal glue, which doesn't cloud your canopy, but it does string a bit if you're not careful with the application, so remove the strings before you apply the canopy :)

Mike

1  Can you get this on line and through the post; and

2  How much "play" time do you get before it sets hard?

Sounds a useful product - especially if you have an issue like say the Revell 1/32 Arado 196 canopy to play with.

@JohnT

1. Readily available for a couple of quid off eBay, just search the name (or click the link below)
  2. It's not instant, and you can use it like a contact adhesive, but I prefer to run a little bead round the aperture using the needle applicator that's built into the tube, then apply the canopy.  Tape it down if possible, and leave it a while.

Search result here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.XGS-hypo.TRS0&_nkw=gs+hypo+cement&_sacat=0

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mackem01 said:

@Mike, does it work with acetate too??

Yes it does. It doesn't seem to react with anything I have got it on acrylic paint that's only a few minutes old and it didn't do anything to the finish.

On 14/06/2020 at 10:27, krow113 said:

I use this glue:

IMG-6950.jpg

Thin it down to perhaps 50/50 with water , and repeated applications to ensure capillary action pulls the glue into all the space's available.

Where's you get this? I wonder if I can find any up here, on The Backside Of Beyond?

Chris

3 hours ago, krow113 said:

Got it an LHS.

Its model specific.

Well, the wife and I are heading south to Edmonton in a couple days, so I might get a chance to peek into a hobby shop.

Chris

• Like 1

An alternative is UV curing glue. However this will only work if the joint is visible as UV light mush reach the glue to make it set. I've been using it for a year or so and works very well.. although not all brands work as I'd like...