British Army Apache in 1:48

The search function never works well for me, so sorry if there are plenty of threads that cover this. I want to model a British Army Apache that was used in combat.  I have the base 1:48 Hasegawa AH-64D longbow, in U.S. markings. I don’t really care about a specific year of use, just a combat veteran that can be made with the minimum of modifications to my kit. I am aware that there are British Army boxings of the kit, but I don’t have those ones.  So here are my questions:

1. What is the AH-64D Apache longbow referred to in the UK?  Does it go by a different name?

2.  What decals are available for it?  I have only seen aftermarket decals for two special edition demonstrators marked gunship 1 & 2

3.  What basic airframe changes are needed?  Lumps and bumps and antennae. 

4.  Weapons differences?  I can see the rocket pods are a little bigger and more rounded on the front for the British examples. 

5.  Same colour as the U.S. Army Apache?  Helo-drab. 

6. Other items I am unaware of

Thanks

• Like 1

the AAC (Army Air Corps) uses the WAH-64 Apache AH1,  build by Westland

go for the Revell boxing, it has everything, decals, and mods and should be cheap...!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-64420-ah-64d-wah-64d-longbow-apache--191218

if you still want the Hasegawa kit, take only the parts needed from the Revell kit.... still cheaper than any other option ;)

apart from the British specific rocket pods unfortunately....but you can scratch the round cover for the pod if you are nitpicky!

• Like 3

The Revell kit, was for a long time the only game in town for the UK Apache, WAH-64 (or AH MK1 in Army Air Corps parlance)

It took the base Monogram D Model Kit (Itself an old A Model kit with the Extended Forward Avionics Bays (EFABS) and Fire Control Radar Mast Mounted Assembly (FCR MMA) on additional sprues) and provided an additional sprue for the UK specific external differences, namely the Helicopter Integrated Defensive Aids System (HIDAS) lumps and bumps. 

http://www.norton.co.uk/revell-1-48-04420-ah-64d-longbow-apache-model-aircraft-kit-p4497

Hasegawa had a crack at the UK Apache in 2002 with its WAH-64 'Royal Army' Boxing, kit number 09431, which is just its US Army D model with some British Decals-  This is perfectly representative of the first 18 aircraft we built and delivered, as HIDAS was fitted from ship 19 onwards. It's just not what you want as these cabs were rolled back through a modification program to get HIDAS much later on.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-09431-wah-64d-apache--114281

Hasegawa have released a fully up to Op Herrick (Afghanistan) standard with its WAH-64D Apache 'British Army' boxing, kit 07445 which includes all of the HIDAS Lumps and Bumps and the Pepper Pot (Rocket Protection Devices or RPD's) fairings for the M261 Rocket Launcher pod. 

Just be aware that there are a few fits of hidas- the Missile Warning Sensors moved to the stub wing tips and an additional sensor appeared under the rear fuselage after operational and trials experience identified weakness in the original scheme.

A significant change later on in its life, was the introduction of Modernised Targeting and Designating system  MTADS (The upper turret PNVS is larger and has two windows instead of just one) and inside the front cockpit a third display "TEDAC" replaced the 1970's vintage head down  Optical Relay Tube (ORT) 

Colour for all of the UK Apache is FS34031 'Helo Drab' , Our aircraft were finished using imported US Paint stocks mixed to US Standards- it was part of the licence deal with Boeing- any deviations from the standard build cost an absolute fortune, so new camo schemes were off the table. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-07445-wah-64d-apache-british-army-air-corps--1011918

It it were me, and I didn't already have all three boxings in the stash. and money was no object, I'd go with the late hasegawa offering. 

Plenty of superb detail shots of the UK Apache Fleet from the lens of  Gary Stedman (Gary1701 here on BM) to be found here:

https://gary1701.piwigo.com/index?/category/6-apache_ah1_detail_images

I miss my time on Apache.  Happy days. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Since you already have the base kit, all you’ll need is the WAH-64D update set from Heritage Aviation models, it includes the HIDAS antennas and a pair of CRV-7 pods, if you need another pair of CRV-7’s give me a shout as I didn’t use mine.

http://www.scale-rotors.com/kit/artikel.php?id=2920

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Since you already have the base kit, all you’ll need is the WAH-64D update set from Heritage Aviation models, it includes the HIDAS antennas and a pair of CRV-7 pods, if you need another pair of CRV-7’s give me a shout as I didn’t use mine.

http://www.scale-rotors.com/kit/artikel.php?id=2920

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/index.asp

older heritage aviation products are hard to come by!

but at least you know what to look for now!

I have this kit by Italeri containing British marking. I'm sorry but I don't know if it was used in combat...  :(

Anyway I think you can order just decals and the "D" sprue with the pieces for the upgraded version if you are interested in.

Here you can find somethings more like the instructions.

Ciao.

Davide

• Thanks 1

Ciao Davide!

I think that Italeri kit looks like a great example of the UK Apache, I'd forgotten all about it. (Old age catching up with me) 

I may have to get one of these for the stash.

Thanks for your post!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Give it a couple of months and you can have a UK AH-64E.  I am sure I read that we are testing the a first one with UK pilots out in the States at the moment.  Fully US built not a Westland version

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mod-orders-new-fleet-of-cutting-edge-apache-helicopters-for-army

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Interesting article, how many are we getting??

50 ordered

But wonder if the Westland build airframes were really worn out yet to totaly replace them after <20 years :wall:

Have a look at the wording ;)

The MID "secured" the Apaches.... not simoly bought them :D

Wasn't one of the great reason for the WAH the more powerful RR engines actually allowing the mast mounted radar to be carried in theater?  Not soo great after all?

I won't get too far into this, but in short, nothing wrong with the airframes- as a former Fixed-wing Avionics guy it took me a while to discover that in Rotary wing aircraft the transmission and rotors are taking the most of the dynamic loads so these are maintained/ replaced  regularly and the Airframe can go on indefinitely- hence all of those Sea Kings and  Wessex flying around for decades.

I understand the main issue with our Apache going forwards is the increasing difficulty of supporting some of the original D model Avionics- and Boeing, facing their own problems with their Commercial Aviation arm- are presumably more than willing to supply the UK MOD with 50 brand new E Model airframes, with no involvement from Leonardo.  Systems like MTADS etc, will be swapped onto the new airframes, as we have already own them. 

Some old but good overviews:

AH64E For UK

UK Buys E Model Apache

• Like 1

Yeah

Thanks for the links!

BUT actually this contract is from 2015... no connection with Boeing's incapability to have a sound 737max design....

And exactly the transmission components are to stay...

not sure about the engine either, it is always written about more powerful engines, but also more powerful compared to the RR ones?

I also "like" he statement about Leonardo'd involvement.... pure cynicism..

."Leonardo Helicopters (formerly AgustaWestland) will continue to lead the arrangements to support our existing Apache helicopters until they are retired from service in 2023/24."

as this would be news, surprise or else...

This work share could have been much more if course... last time at least it was deemed worth to have them built in the UK...

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for thread drift but I didn't want to start another topic for a single question relating to the AH-64D.

Does anyone know if the rear baggage compartment is one space or void in the tailboom area of the Apache, as in, if you open both baggage doors, can you look straight through to the other side and see daylight or is there a partition wall or bulkhead dividing the area in two? I have an Academy AH-64D on the go at the moment and I am considering opening one of the baggage doors but am unsure exactly of the layout inside. I have the Verlinden walkaround book and some other references but none seem to show the interior in any great detail. Thanks in advance for any info. 

BM.

To answer Blue Monday's query, yes, the rear baggage stowage on the  apache is accesable from either side of the aircraft and passes straight through the airframe.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I have one photo in my references that indicated that but I wasn't sure. Makes things easier if I decide to open up the baggage hatch. Just a floor and dividing bulkhead at the rear of the electronics bay in front. 

BM.

Ooh, and my failing memory suggests a black vinyl looking cover for the rear of the pass through bay that seals the tail boom, you can peel it back as its only velcro'd on, and you can get down the boom to access al those pesky electrical runs and antenna connections. I swear I could get down them in 2000 or thereabouts. Not so much now...101 now, nice big ramp to walk up. Bit steep mind.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys...

Pretty much brand new to posting here so bear bear with me....🤨

my stepson as just qualified as an REME AT and is posted to Wattisham in the next few weeks. I am looking to build a E variant so have ordered the new(ish) Hasegawa AH-64E ‘Tawainese Army’ Guardian in 1/48. I have also ordered the Black Dog ‘Big D’ resin kit (yes I know it’s for the Italeri kit, but that’s never stepped me before) and looking at corrected PE for the cockpits.

Now the idea is to open up all the exterior avionics for display on a custom made Coastal kits base with his REME capbadge, his regiment and Sqn....Decals are not a problem once I know if he is actually assigned an aircraft or he just works on any within the Sqn.

Now I have two questions to answer if possible.

a) What is the correct SCALE colour of AAC aircraft

b) where can I get reference images ( like Gary Steadman’s) but of the British E variant, especially avionics bays.

Any help would be appreciated as he isn’t aware I’m building this for him and personally this HAS to be right.

thanks in advance peeps

Steve