Vietnam War air crew uniform colours

MickE

Hi all

Ihave just bought some crew figures for a Vietnam  oh-6a Cayuse however, there were no instruction for what paint colours to use. Can anyone please give me a steer for what I should be painting them, particularly the nomex flight suits, chicken plate armour and the helmets?

Cheers

Mick

The "Loach" scout-pilots used a very mixed bag of flight-attire and often painted their own personal designs/slogans on them. There was a well-known pilot called Hugh Mills (shot down a total of 16 times, including twice on one day!) who painted the word "WAR" in large red letters with a white outline on the front of his flight-helmet. IIRC, Dragon produced a 1/32 helicopter-crew set with a  Hugh Mills figure included. 

As for standard colours, olive drab or jungle-camo for trousers and shirts, OD or dark grey for chicken-plate covering, dark tan for webbing and survival-gear pouches, black or OD for helmets.  

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

A good reference book is "Gunslingers In Action" by Squadron Signal. You can buy it cheaply today as its been around for many years. IIRC, all the photos of scout pilots in their flight-gear are in black-and-white, unfortunately, but it will still give you an idea of how to paint them. I can loan you my copy, if you don't mind bunging me a couple of quid for postage.

Chris.  

• 2 weeks later...

Shades of green. I seem to remember that Humbrol enamels 155 was suggested as a base colour with darker & lighter washes as uniforms faded and always red dust, lots of red dust.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:20 AM, MickE said:

Thanks for the offer Chris  but I already have a book on the aeroscouts and I was really after the paint colours,

No problem at all, sir!

Chris.