US Navy NKC-135A - Minicraft 1/144 converted

Here's the 1/144 NKC-135A I built to go with my EC-24A in the In The Navy group build. It's the Minicraft KC-135A with scratch built (mostly 3D-printed) conversion parts and decals from various sources, including some I printed myself. Build thread is here

1/144 NKC-135A

1/144 NKC-135A

1/144 NKC-135A

1/144 NKC-135A

1/144 EC-24A and NKC-135A

thanks for looking 

Julian

• Like 29

Very nice model and the two together make a great combination. I wasn't aware of a '135 serving with the US Navy. So I got a bit of education too.

• Thanks 1

Very nicely done! It's so hard to get a good, clean white finish on a model so both of yours look excellent! How is the base Minicraft 135 as a kit? Does it go together well?

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. @theaa2000 I quite liked the base kit, it goes together pretty well. I think it's a bit pricey for what you get though (what's going on with the prices of 1/144 kits these days?)  which would probably put me off buying another.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What's the N for in the designation? or all the bumps on it

The N denotes that the aircraft is permanently modified for testing purposes. I'm a little baffled by this as this aircraft was modified for electronic warfare purposes, so it seems to me that an E (like the EC-24A) would have made more sense. The bumps area variety of different electronic countermeasures and similar equipment - its job was to simulate enemy aircraft and enemy jamming methods for naval exercises.

• Thanks 1

Lovely job (on both). They look great indeed.

Minicraft in particular has been getting very pricey with each passing year and, in most cases, they are re-releasing old moulds over and over again.

Miguel

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 7:45 AM, zebra said:

The N denotes that the aircraft is permanently modified for testing purposes. I'm a little baffled by this as this aircraft was modified for electronic warfare purposes, so it seems to me that an E (like the EC-24A) would have made more sense. The bumps area variety of different electronic countermeasures and similar equipment - its job was to simulate enemy aircraft and enemy jamming methods for naval exercises.

As I understand it, the "N" designation is technically applied to one-off permanent modifications, which seems correct for this airframe.  Using an EC-135 series designation would apply if the airframe mods were introduced for a series production variant.

U.S. Aircraft Designation System

So technically what you have is a transport airframe (C) with supplemental refueling mission (K) permanently modified (N) for the EW role.

Of course as anyone familiar with the "official" nomenclature knows, there are almost as many exceptions as examples that follow the rules.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CT7567 said:

As I understand it, the "N" designation is technically applied to one-off permanent modifications, which seems correct for this airframe.  Using an EC-135 series designation would apply if the airframe mods were introduced for a series production variant.

U.S. Aircraft Designation System

So technically what you have is a transport airframe (C) with supplemental refueling mission (K) permanently modified (N) for the EW role.

Of course as anyone familiar with the "official" nomenclature knows, there are almost as many exceptions as examples that follow the rules.

Thanks for the clarification. The other odd thing about this one is they kept the K despite removing the refuelling equipment.

1 minute ago, zebra said:

Thanks for the clarification. The other odd thing about this one is they kept the K despite removing the refuelling equipment.

Pretty sure the same is true for the "famous because there's a kit" NKC-135A laser lab.  There's a method, but its still madness 😆

• Haha 1

Great build of a very interesting aircraft. I've thought of doing the exact same thing with the Minicraft kit.

I've been put off by the prices they're going for though. If I ever come across one for cheap, I'll probably pick it up for this project.

Cheers and happy modelling!

Hoops

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

I think there are lots more 'secret 135's you could do - it could end up looking like the flight line at the Air Tattoo

This one would be next I think:

78b.jpg

If I can find a cheap one...