Meng FV501 Warrior I have one

magman2

• 4 weeks later...

Mine arrived yesterday. It's a lovely boxful of bits. I had a quick 'go' to see how well the upper and lower hull halves fit together: even without any cleaning up at all, they practically 'snap together' - which bodes well for the precision of the kit. Looking forward to building it - a lot! The bar/slat armour, though somewhat overscale, isn't as 'heavy-looking' as I'd feared it might - I suspect that a light scrape with a fine scalpel blade along the 'back' side will remove the slight mould line and make them look significantly thinner.

I'm currently trawling the interwebby thing, looking for 'in service' photos from Afghanistan - and not uncovering a whole lot... Maybe my Google-fu (or, in my case, DuckDuckGo-fu) isn't so hot today. I've got the Tankograd book on order - I'm hoping that will answer a lot of the questions in my mind. The wagons seem, mostly, to be almost devoid of external stowage - except in one photo of a column seen from the rear, in which they've got some much baggage they look almost like British 8th Army tanks from 1942!!

"A convoy of Warrior infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) of Right Flank The Scots Guards patrolling near Afghan Villages north of Musa Qala in Helmand Province." Taken by Cpl Steven Peacock, 14 February 2008

spacer.png

(Are they actually patrolling? They seem to be in too much strength for a mere patrol - perhaps some sort of positioning move?)

Edited by PhilHendry
Spelling

The TES(H) entered service in 2011 but the timeline for this image is 2008.

If you look underneath the bar armour you can see that the additional armour blocks on the hull side are the earlier, longer type rather than the shorter type used on the TES(H). The vehicles are still overall green (despite the massive amounts of dust and mud and there  are no additional armour/screens/mesh around the turret hatches.

They look great but they aren't TES(H) specification.

John

1 hour ago, John Tapsell said:

The TES(H) entered service in 2011 but the timeline for this image is 2008.

If you look underneath the bar armour you can see that the additional armour blocks on the hull side are the earlier, longer type rather than the shorter type used on the TES(H). The vehicles are still overall green (despite the massive amounts of dust and mud and there  are no additional armour/screens/mesh around the turret hatches.

They look great but they aren't TES(H) specification.

John

Thanks! I've been out of the modern British 'game' for quite some time - the last Warrior I built was shortly after the First Gulf War... I can see that I've got some catching up to do.

Look forward to seeing one of these built up. I take it the kit can only be built with the new TES(H) fit.

As mentioned, those Warriors in the photo don't have the TES(H) fit, they look similar to how our Warriors were fitted out on Telic 9 in 06/07.  Given the amount of kit they are carrying and how many there are, i would say that are moving out to a FOB or some other location. That looks to be everyone's kit for a 6 month deplyment.

• Like 2