Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi there

 

I think I have learnt to load up pictures, here is my 1/72 Airfix Concorde I built a few years ago. This kit helps you put into use the modelling skills you have learned over the years, it is one of those that needs a lot of time and patience to make it look good. 
 

Here is a list of the changes made to the kit starting from the nose. Please note, this is not the build sequence. 

 

1. Nose probe replaced with Master Mirage brass probe.

2. Nose cone external profile rounded off to remove prominent external angled ridge.

3. Internal support made for visor to reduce rake angle as the Airfix design is too flat when the nose is up.

4. Scratch built panel underneath the visor.

5. Visor back edges reshaped to allow steeper angle.

6. Fit the nose, then the visor and fill with scrap plastic and filler at the bottom of the visor to blend in.

7. Glue the left fuselage nose section to the left centre section. Repeat for right. This is done after the mating surfaces have been fettled to ensure no steps when glued.

8. Fill in all recessed panel lines and the side windows. Use white Milliput and not grey like I did, it took loads of primer to cover the filled grey lines.

9. Move the nose wheel well forward, I seem to remeber about at least 1/2’’.

10. File off the longitudinal ridges around the cockpit as the profile is over pronounced in the kit.

11. Glue fuselage front sections together.

12. Add support sections of plastic card along edges to support the wings to improve the bond and reduce the gap.

13. Glue top half of each wing to the fuselage.

14. Make up wing underside to the wings.

15. Remove height from the rear of the engine housings. This will ensure that there is no step at the wing upper surface/ engine interface.

16. Glue tail sections of fuselage together.

17. Partially cut off fin and re-align as it is twisted in plan view and canted over to one side from the moulds.

18. Glue the tail to the fuselage and use lots of plastic card and filler to blend in.

19. Replace kit wheels with Airwaves resin set.

20. Something I forgot earlier was the Drawdecal Concorde windows and door surround decals were also used here.

 

Onto the picturesspacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

With the Wright Flyer from the AIMS brass kit

 

spacer.png

 

The reprofiled nose and visor from 2 sides

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Planebuilder62
Drawdecal note added
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is, beyond all doubt, the best looking Concorde model I've ever seen. Congratulations on an excellent build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outstanding Concorde!

Your photos depict a perfect build, and I am sure they do not lie.

Congratulations Sir!

 

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That is, beyond all doubt, the best looking Concorde model I've ever seen. Congratulations on an excellent build.

Agree completely. If mine looks half that good I'll be happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Superb job and very useful post for me.  I wish I had the skills to apply your fixes. 

Mine is going to be built wheels down as if just taking off so I need to build nose at 5 degrees. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you chaps for your kind words and the positive responses.

 

One thing I found surprising when I was building this kit was the lack of available detailed information compared to military aircraft. The Haynes manual was very good though.

 

I hope this build will motivate you that have this kit to give it a bit of time when you build it. It really stands out on your shelf when completed and everyone knows what it is.

 

Thanks and happy modelling.

 

Regards Toby

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2020 at 4:01 PM, jean said:

Outstanding Concorde!

Your photos depict a perfect build, and I am sure they do not lie.

Congratulations Sir!

 

JR

 

You are correct. I can vouch for the quality of this build since I was fortunate enough to see this model 'in the flesh' shortly after Toby completed the build and presented it at the club for viewing.

 

Great Model, Toby !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 14/06/2020 at 10:40, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi there

 

I think I have learnt to load up pictures, here is my 1/72 Airfix Concorde I built a few years ago. This kit helps you put into use the modelling skills you have learned over the years, it is one of those that needs a lot of time and patience to make it look good. 
 

Here is a list of the changes made to the kit starting from the nose. Please note, this is not the build sequence. 

 

1. Nose probe replaced with Master Mirage brass probe.

2. Nose cone external profile rounded off to remove prominent external angled ridge.

3. Internal support made for visor to reduce rake angle as the Airfix design is too flat when the nose is up.

4. Scratch built panel underneath the visor.

5. Visor back edges reshaped to allow steeper angle.

6. Fit the nose, then the visor and fill with scrap plastic and filler at the bottom of the visor to blend in.

7. Glue the left fuselage nose section to the left centre section. Repeat for right. This is done after the mating surfaces have been fettled to ensure no steps when glued.

8. Fill in all recessed panel lines and the side windows. Use white Milliput and not grey like I did, it took loads of primer to cover the filled grey lines.

9. Move the nose wheel well forward, I seem to remeber about at least 1/2’’.

10. File off the longitudinal ridges around the cockpit as the profile is over pronounced in the kit.

11. Glue fuselage front sections together.

12. Add support sections of plastic card along edges to support the wings to improve the bond and reduce the gap.

13. Glue top half of each wing to the fuselage.

14. Make up wing underside to the wings.

15. Remove height from the rear of the engine housings. This will ensure that there is no step at the wing upper surface/ engine interface.

16. Glue tail sections of fuselage together.

17. Partially cut off fin and re-align as it is twisted in plan view and canted over to one side from the moulds.

18. Glue the tail to the fuselage and use lots of plastic card and filler to blend in.

19. Replace kit wheels with Airwaves resin set.

20. Something I forgot earlier was the Drawdecal Concorde windows and door surround decals were also used here.

 

Onto the picturesspacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

With the Wright Flyer from the AIMS brass kit

 

spacer.png

 

The reprofiled nose and visor from 2 sides

spacer.pngspacer.png

Could you please reupload the pictures? Seems to be something wrong with the previous ones kind regards 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...