1/72 "Lift Here" Resin, Indian navy Shorts Sealand

1/72 "Lift Here" Resin Indian Navy, Shorts SA 6 Sealand, Cochin 1953. The Shorts Sealand has a special place in the heart of Indian Naval Aviation. The type was the first aircraft to be inducted after the establishment of the Directorate of Naval Aviation and training of Indian Naval Aviators. An order for ten of these amphibians was placed in 1952.  The first Sealand INS-101 was handed over on 13 Jan 53 . The aircraft arrived in due course of time by February . The last of the Sealands arrived in Oct 53. The FRU, or the Fleet Requirements Unit was commissioned on 11 Mar 53 on the Sealand under the command of Lt Cdr YN Singh who had flown Martlets with the RN off Malaya.. The FRU used to operated from Cochin's airfield at Willingdon Island, then known as INS Vendurthy II which was soon rechristened as INS Garuda.

The Sealand was in service for ten years until 1963, when it was phased out as new aircraft were inducted in service.  The aircraft was phased out in 1965, after just over 12 years of service. Today a lone Sealand IN-106 survives and is on display at the Naval Aviation Museum, Goa

.spacer.png

Fairly easy kit with huge detail but needs careful alignment of wing, engines and empennage. Windows are Testors clear glue. Decals are Bright Spark and Spares. The diorama is the kit box inverted on a picture frame with a printed tarmac and hand-painted sea wall. the sea is tissue crumpled and stuck with water and glue. then painted and layered with Future and then added with random stones and wood from the garden.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Linescriber
repeated picture
  • Like 42

What a great subject and impressive presentation ! I was unaware that the Indian Navy  operated this amphibian.

The crew, odds 'n' sods on the tarmac and the waterside impedimenta sets it off nicely.

I'm gonna have to make the acquaintance of Lift Here Models, a new one on me, but if this is an example of their output, they could be getting some of my business.

Apart from being a great model, you've provided a great advert for their product. Thanks, LS.

Rog

• Like 1

Beautiful model and diorama. The Sealand reminds me, a bit, of the Grumman Albatross, though I think the Sealand is more attractive.

Nicely rendered!  It's an unusual subject to be sure.  I'm familiar with the kit, and had access to it at one point; always wondered how it would look in good hands.  Thanks for sharing this with us!

Very, very nice, mate. A beautiful model and diorama. I seem to remember seeing one of these in the museum at Dabolim., as well as in the Aviation Museum in Belgrade. 

Martin