Polish MP Shwimmwagen Italy

zigster

I'm trying to find out a type of tyre / wheel used on liberated Shwimmwagen in service of Military Police of Polish 2'nd Corps in Italy.

Looks to be repainted, at least on the outside (comparing grey shade to those trucks in the back).

Front tyres are as per old Tamiya kit, but the back ones....?????

I'm combing all aftermarket wheels in Net shops, Nothing looks similar. 

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/recycle-and-reused-%E2%80%93-captured-vehicles-and-armour-under-new-management.286292/page-2

3/4 down the page - 14 Sep 2018

Zig

What about wheel sets for the Meng Toyota pickups?  The ones for the Land Cruiser, not the HiLux.  You'd obviously have to do some surgery to anything to adapt the hubs.

Surprised they put the road tyres on the back.  I would have put the off-road tyres there for traction.  Some (all?) Schwimmers had 4WD, but IIRC it only worked in 1st gear for getting out of water.  So I suppose that would be a reason for keeping them on the front.

Thanks 4 your interest!

Well, there was a somebody in Spain, making wheels fairly matching. OOP by now.

No stress, I can wait. Maybe, one day....

It is like - I need Sahariana (Italeri) tyres, which I can swap for those in AB 41.

Do I buy extra kit (I don't want) , or do I wait for somebody to do it in resin?

Kits on pile can wait a long time.... :-))

Zig

AS and AB wheels will be far too big.  Have a look at:

• DEF Model DW35043 for the Meng Hilux
  • DEF Model DW30013 for the Jeep
  • Hobby Planet 35203 for the BA-64
  • Hussar 35097 for the Austin Tilly

These all look as if they might have some chance of working and being about the right size.

Hi Zigster. I think what we are looking at is a one off field modification. This is a non standard liberated vehicle. My guess it that the original wide tyres were unavailable and that someone has used overinflated narrow tyres as a substitute. That would account for the wierd bulge and narrow tread. That said. how to model it? I cant see any of the aftermarket wheel manufacturers going for a one off. I have been puzzling over this one for a while now. It might be posible to turn down the original Tamiya wheels and add tread from something else, the photograph shows a road type tread.