Sikorsky S-38 - 1/72nd Scale - Vacuum Form - Esoteric Models

After viewing the wonderful tutorial on this site on vacuum formed kits I thought I would tackle one! I am actually going to do a parallel build of the CMR resin kit of the same plane which should be an interesting comparison.

Feel free to take a look at the other build log here: 

Since in the other thread I detail out my interest in the type I won't repeat it here.  I am planning on painting this version in either the Pan Am or Navy finish - do people have advice on which way to go?

The kit was even more difficult to track down than the CMR S-38.  I believe this kit is actually from the late '80s (though someone please correct me if I am wrong).  I'll post a walkthrough of the kit contents later this week.

YOeJAGf.jpg

Of note, the book The Explorers Air Yacht  is a great reference book on the type: https://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Air-Yacht-Sikorsky-Flying/dp/0929521978

Anyways, this is my first vacuum formed kit and I would love any advice people have as I put it together!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Following with interest...

I am  going to enjoy this build very much and walkthrough.

Thank you! :) 

36 minutes ago, Moa said:

Yes! PANAM!!!!

:clap:

I have a folder on this one, with many potential civil subjects (you will have to sort out the decals, I think some are sold online). If you are interested drop me a line via PM.

Thank you! :)

The kit contains vacuum formed, photo-etched, and white metal parts that look super nice! The plastic is also very crisp. The photo etched wheel parts with individual spokes look super cool!

zQfobkV.jpg

LJAIWRw.jpg

8Ewov9m.jpg

IZagno3.jpg

The kit mentions that struts are not included so I have procured some brass rod that should get the job done :) 

This kit is REALLY going to stretch my skills 

• Like 1