Best F-35A kits?

GMK

Thought I’d tap the brains trust - which is the ‘best’ F-35A kit in 1/72 & 1/48 scale? Possible candidates listed below. 

1/72:

Hasegawa

Academy

Italeri 

1/48:

Meng

Kittyhawk

Ideally, I’d like to avoid boilerplate-scale external “detail”.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I know you specified just the A, but if its as good as the new B version then the Academy kit in 1/72 would be my choice. The value for money over the Hasegawa kit is significant and in my opinion the surface detail is better too.

Eng

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2020 at 11:53 PM, eng said:

I know you specified just the A, but if its as good as the new B version then the Academy kit in 1/72 would be my choice. The value for money over the Hasegawa kit is significant and in my opinion the surface detail is better too.

Eng

Funny, I find the surface detail on the Academy pretty bad. The raised RAM panelling stands out particularly on the newer color schemes where the RAM tape is not so visible. The Hasegawa is very much my choice. See the discussion in this topic for details on the differences.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 6:22 AM, sroubos said:

Funny, I find the surface detail on the Academy pretty bad. The raised RAM panelling stands out particularly on the newer color schemes where the RAM tape is not so visible. The Hasegawa is very much my choice. See the discussion in this topic for details on the differences.

You can literally swap parts between thr Hasegawa and the Academy kits.
The surface detail is identical.

The Adademy kit gives you all the additional detail including weapons bays and full external loads.

I don't know where you get this from but that's incorrect. The breakdown of the kits is very different, good luck sharing parts between them, e.g. the breakdown of the tail area is completely different.

Academy has raised RAM taping, Hasegawa indicates the RAM taping with recessed panel lines.

Academy:

aca_12507_parts1.jpg

Hasegawa:

has_01572_parts1.jpg

14 hours ago, sroubos said:

I don't know where you get this from but that's incorrect. The breakdown of the kits is very different, good luck sharing parts between them, e.g. the breakdown of the tail area is completely different.

Academy has raised RAM taping, Hasegawa indicates the RAM taping with recessed panel lines.

Academy:

aca_12507_parts1.jpg

Hasegawa:

has_01572_parts1.jpg

I was referring to the F-35B.

And in any case, to each his/her own.

Same applies to the B kits. The Academy B also has raised RAM. Hasegawa B has recessed RAM. Parts breakdown is similar but I highly doubt you'd be able to share parts between them. Cockpit and tail breakdown are very different for instance.

Of course to each his own. But it helps to provide people with the correct information.

• Like 1

I noticed the slight bump of the RAM taped surfaces, mostly noticeable for different pplastic sheen, easily sanded off.

Panel lines are virtually identical, but you get a lot more model for the price.

Of course one can always get a preassembled diecast kit on a stand with the gear up.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, sroubos said:

Academy:

aca_12507_parts1.jpg

Hasegawa:

has_01572_parts1.jpg

Would you happen to have pics of the underside of the Academy kit’s fuselage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 5:22 AM, sroubos said:

That's really a shame.  I was planning to buy the Academy kit purely on the basis that they provide the option for an open weapons bay and the Hasegawa kit does not.  I'm probably still going to go with the Academy kit because the weapons bay is more important to me than the ram tape, but its too bad we have to give up one or the other.  😒

On 6/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, eng said:

Eng

Certainly is crisper RAM fined lines on the Academy B model as compared to the A model. The box on the B model is much larger than the previous release. Additionally both kits are are new tools with some sprues included either versions.