Paint Mixing cups/pots

Smithy1961

This has probably been posted before , but as I am returning to the hobby after a 40 year break and a newcomer to airbrushing I thought I might share this. After searching for mixing pots online I was a bit dismayed at the cost. In fact I was thinking of using yogurt pots to mix my paint in until I went to Sainsburys tonight. In the 'party' section I found 40 plastic 30ml shot glasses for £2 so I got a pack. Once I got home I checked them out and they are quite robust and super clear. Well worth the money (5p each) in my opinion, although they may be even cheaper in the pound shops.

5 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

not so good for mixing paint and pouring it into the airbrush

But excellent for those of us using air free hairy brushes. :nerd:

Gerry

13 minutes ago, GerryW said:

But excellent for those of us using air free hairy brushes. :nerd:

Gerry

9 hours ago, Smithy1961 said:

I am returning to the hobby after a 40 year break and a newcomer to airbrushing...

Original post was about pots for mixing paint to airbrush though 😉

• Like 1

One of the only upsides to vaping is that you get little 10ml bottles for the "juice". These are reusable, resealable and have a fine nozzle so ideal for paint mixing.

You can pick the empty bottles up pretty cheaply online. Just don't take up vaping to get them.😀

I have always used the washed out tops from disposable Milk bottle containers...…..I have about a 100 now, used once and thrown away...………...for my airbrush I use small plastic medicinal cups from ebay

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I use old aluminium pie dishes. You can bend them to make pouring easier, they clean out, and you have already had a fruit pie!

Anyone would think you were a Northerner! :pie:

I use empty 10ml Tamiya paint bottles.

(you can also buy them empty  (eg from here but I use Tamiya anyway so have a supply https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/10ml-paint-mixing-jar-tamiya-81044)

I tend to put my thinner in first then add the paint(s) that I want to make up a full bottle.

For measuring, I use syringes, 5ml which I have been buying at shows - but they are reusable so 10 or so will last a very long time! (again example on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terumo-Disposable-Syringe-Pack-100/dp/B004U9FLS8).

I find these much easier to use than using pipettes, and a lot more accurate. And you can store the paint you've mixed up as well, if you need to use the same colour on several kits!

Edited by treker_ed

Depending on what kind and how much paint I want to mix and whether I wish to keep any for future use I use a range of containers, from empty glass 20cc bottles (pack of ten cost me around £15) to those tiny 3ml resealable plastic containers (usually found starter kits with acrylic inside - I picked up 150 for around £13) and now paint mixing pallets having just rediscovered four of them in my boxes. The size of the above is usually about right for my needs and helps me to avoid wasting paint. Those shot glasses mentioned above sound like a bargain!

In the last year I have acquired the following items:

50007040956_ece5925dda_o.jpg

The glass cup on the left is an unknown object to me. It was in a box of stuff the wife wanted thrown out. I spied it and put it in my pocket.

The next two items are clear plastic top form some makeupy spray stuff the youngest daughter was using. Looked useful, so I kept them.

The last three are little plastic jars with lids. These were makeup samplers that the youngest acquired in her job as a beautician. Again, something I scavenged from the trash.

Chris

• Like 2

Search the Interwebs for a product called Graduated Medicine Cups and grab the cheapest Amazon pop up. Fantastically easy to use and cheap too. I also use Graduated Droppers for "semi precise mixology". 

• Like 1