Airfix 1/72 Whitley GR MkII Coastal Command

Airfix 1/72 Whitley GR MkII in Coastal Command colours, reptesenting an airframe from St Eval, Cornwall in 1942. Out of the box with the exception of Xtradecals to represent a locally based aircraft. One of, if not the best fitting kits I've ever made. The white was a pain to spray, but a learning curve and the results were better than I have done on previous Coastal Command builds.

20200613-150335.jpg

20200613-150406.jpg

20200613-150418.jpg

20200613-150430.jpg

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 63
  • Thanks 3

Good looking Whitley there, and not weathered to within 1/1000 of an inch of its life.

I’ve built 21/of these kits now and enjoyed doing so.  Hopefully Airfix will reissue either or both the Mk. V and Mk. VII with new markings next year.

• Thanks 1

I must admit that I have never much liked the Whitley, as it always looks rather ungainly, but I also must acknowledge its legitimate place in RAF history and, therefore, its legitimacy as a subject for my collection. Your beautiful execution of the Whitley in Coastal Command colours gives it a sturdy dignity that creates a much better impression.  I might just have to get one!  Thanks for showing what a Whitley can be.

• Thanks 1

That is awesome - I want one! Love the fact it's a local unit. Congratulations on a great build :clap2:

• Thanks 1

I have had this kit for about 2 years now and want to do it up in Coastal Command colors. but I just haven't gotten around to starting it yet. I am going to have to move it 

to the top of the stash pile.  Yours looks great too by the way.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bigglesworth said:

I must admit that I have never much liked the Whitley, as it always looks rather ungainly, but I also must acknowledge its legitimate place in RAF history and, therefore, its legitimacy as a subject for my collection. Your beautiful execution of the Whitley in Coastal Command colours gives it a sturdy dignity that creates a much better impression.  I might just have to get one!  Thanks for showing what a Whitley can be.

Thanks all for the comments.

The Whitley wasn't ever a subject that interested me... I never considered it part of the "famous line up" of WWII bombers until I read a Coastal Command book and discovered the significant local connection with the type. I saw this on offer at The Works online and couldn't resist....

11 hours ago, mick b said:

Superb result, what is your choice of paints out of interest?

Mike

Thanks, the instructions call for Extra Dark Sea Grey and and Dark Slate Grey to be used. I had neither of these, so opted for Tamiya RLM Grey (XF22) instead of Slate Grey and IJN Grey (XF75) in place of the Sea Grey.

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

That's really nice. Beautiful painting and weathering. I bet cleaning the seams from the all the aerials isn't fun.

It wasn't a job I looked forward to, but thankfully they were well moulded and added last to avoid breaking. The exhaust stain is just Revells cheap Weathering set picked up for about 6£ in a discount store. First time I've tried exhaust stains with it though.

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 1