A Grumman Twosome - Airfix F4F-4 Wildcat and Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat MkII

I'm taking a break from Kits I Built When I Was A Kid for a Kit I Got For Father's Day Last Year. It's the Airfix Wildcat and it's a beauty.

I've started off painting the inside. I used an old tin of Humbrol MC3 Rifle Green as an approximation of Bronze Green 9 and Humbrol 87 Steel Grey for the grey primer:

Wildcat1

It'll provide a nice counterpoint to the current crop of ancient Airfix and Revell kits 😀

John

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Hi,

nice start on a great kit!

This is definitely one that is on my to get list, if/when I bump into it one day!!!! (Along so many others.... why is life so short?)

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 2

Thanks. 

It's still on the go but I've had little spare time over the last couple of months and most of my ongoing projects are progressing very slowly. 

Getting a bit of bench time is something I'm really looking forward to 😀

J

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I decided to take a break from building legacy kits for the various GBs - much fun though that has been - and build something a bit more up to date so I've dug this lovely little Wildcat out of the stash and I'll build it alongside my Eduard Hellcat.

These are some of the Wildcat bits and pieces:

Wildcat5

John

• Like 3

• John changed the title to A Grumman Twosome - Airfix F4F-4 Wildcat and Eduard F6F-5 Hellcat MkII
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Airfix decals are, of course, excellent and bedded down well with Decalcote:

Wildcat7

I used Humbrol 40 for the underside, which is gloss and therefor doesn't need any further work before the Decalcote goes to work:

Wildcat8

John