Anigrand 1:72 Lockheed C-5A Galaxy

6 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Well, to say that your Galaxy is impressive would be a massive understatement. I think this is the first time I've seen one completed :worthy:

I see from your other builds that you are a big fan of such Behemots. I have some of Amodels "A-Monster" kits in my stash but I wouldn't even dare to think about finishing one of them in 2 month (it would taking years) so my highest respect for your energy to pull that through 👍

Cheers

Markus

Thank you Marcus :) ! 
Yes, Amodel kits.. I have the Hughes H4 Spruce Goose. That will be a challenge!

Building the Galaxy in so short time was necessary for the contest; if I had a choice I would have taken more time for it..

Fantastic!  The scratch building and all the work you put into it is impressive enough, but that fine paint job is beautiful.  I have never seen a camo C-5 before and it looks great.

Dick,

Great project..............that model must weigh a TON...........Even without the vast (and necessary) reinforcement it must be heavy given the amount of resin content.

Superb teamwork too on the painting. 

Well Done, Sir !

On 23/06/2020 at 03:02, opus999 said:

Fantastic!  The scratch building and all the work you put into it is impressive enough, but that fine paint job is beautiful.  I have never seen a camo C-5 before and it looks great.

Thank you opus999 :)!

I once preferred the high viz Grey-white Galaxy, even bought the decals for that version but I’m glad I finally decided to choose the camouflage version.. It looks much more impressive I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Dick,

Great project..............that model must weigh a TON...........Even without the vast (and necessary) reinforcement it must be heavy given the amount of resin content.

Superb teamwork too on the painting. 

Well Done, Sir !

Thank you for the compliments Tiger331 :) !

This was my biggest project until now, with a lot of challenges.

And I still have his ‘little brother’, a 1:72 Anigrand Lockheed C-141B Starlifter to build...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

thanx a fantastic photo build..i bought this kit from hannants last june,it was the only one in stock at the time...i put some pics of the unbuilt kit on the flory forum of the kit when i got it...i love the c-5 and had to have this kit and to build once id seen someone else tackle it....super work you have inspired me to make a start on mine and invaluable tips  

Somehow I  missed this last  year. It's  certainly impressive. Don't  know where I'd put the thing. 

My abiding memory of the C5 was at at Oskhosh 2016 when a lot of us sheltered in one from the rain. It was cathedral like. The size of the thing is astonishing.

Fantastic build. My first close up view of a C5 was at the Mildenhall Air Fete in 1979. You could walk through it, which we did as it was raining and decided you could the airshow in the cargo hold. 

• Like 1

I also seem to have missed seeing this when it was first posted. 😳

What an astonishing feat of scale modelling!

I find myself wondering if I would have had the presence of mind to use the bolts and screws for secure construction, as you did.

It's academic really - I wouldn't be daring enough to try a project as awesome as this.

Congratulations for getting it done so superbly!

:clap2::clap2::clap2: 

• Thanks 1

On 13/06/2020 at 22:29, Wolfhound32 said:

Hi fellow modelers,

This is my finally built resin behemoth, the Anigrand Lockheed C-5A Galaxy. Enjoy!

I had it on my shelf for almost 10 years, never dared to build it. Just too big, I was kind a 'scared' of it. But finally last year I had the guts: I'm going to start it and finish it! 

This is the kit with box art:

spacer.png

This is what you get, a lot of resin:

spacer.png

Bags with resin parts, here are the engines / gear wheels and parts / flap hinges:

spacer.png

Crisp details and panel lines (nice work Anigrand! I have seen worse kits from Anigrand..):

spacer.png

Nylon, brass and stainless steel parts for a sturdy gear construction:

spacer.png

The clear windshield part:

spacer.png

Very nice detail and panel lines:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a very simple manual.. Doesnt matter, the placement of parts speak for themselves with this kit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I didn't want to make the dull grey MAC Galaxy, so I decided to buy a DrawDecal aftermarket decal set for camouflaged and grey Galaxies:

spacer.png

This will be the end result:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Source: airliners.net

First I reinforced the 2-part resin upper deck and lower deck with aluminium strips and screws. This is really necessary as it's a very fragile construction..:

spacer.png

Then I reinforced the slightly warped wing halves with aluminium tubing:

spacer.png

I glued the 4 fuselage halves parts together:

spacer.png

Here's a test fit of the fuselage halves with upper deck, with a 1:72 Piper Cub for scale comparison:

spacer.png

I strengthened the upper and lower deck construction to one fuselage half with little N scale screws and polysterene edge strips for extra support:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I constructed the tail parts together, in total 168 grams and the size of a 1:72 Fighter jet kit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This kit needs a lot of weight in the nose, it's a potential tail sitter.. So I experimented with adding weights until I reached a balance. In this case I drilled a hole in the lower deck, and made a construction of M13 bolts and nuts and washers. A lot of them ; ) :

spacer.png

spacer.png

Measuring and drilling holes for better and sturdier fit of the wings to the fuselage. Only glue is not enough and not reliable.. after all it’s only resin. With a dry fuselage-wing fit I heared all kind of sounds like crackling etc. So I decided to give that construction more strength.
The holes are for little bolts and nuts that will connect the wings trough the aluminium strips on the upper deck:

spacer.png

Glued washers on the underside of the wing holes positions, so the nuts and bolts have better grip:

spacer.png

Drilling the same holes in the upper deck on the same position as the holes in the wings:

spacer.png

Constructing bolts and nuts trough the upper deck, upside down so the remaining part of the bolts can be used for the nuts from the wings:

spacer.png

The advantage of this construction is that I can adjust the height of wing position by fastening or loosening the nuts:

spacer.png

Then i glued the fuselage halves together, in parts as it's too much to glue at once:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I started sanding, a lot of sanding. The length of the fuselage is 1 meter!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I secured the tail to the fuselage by using fine steel rods as split pens. Now the tail can’t come loose anymore:

spacer.png

The 1/72 figure is standing next to a hatch. I read somewhere that there’s a ladder in the tail to this hatch, for maintenance. C-5 crews sometimes sit on top of the tail during airshows to have ‘a nice view’. Well I believe they have some view up there!

spacer.png

The construction I made for glueing the wings to the fuselage to keep everything level:

spacer.png

After attachment of the wings to the fuselage there were some gaps between the joints. So I used pieces of plasticard to fill it up, after that cutting to size and sanding and filling the joints smooth:

spacer.png

Securing the bolt positions by sealing them wit Loc-tite:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Dryfitting the part that will cover the construction of the wings:

spacer.png

Filling and sanding the upper plate:

spacer.png

Preparing to spray the landing gear by attaching parts to sprues with a tiny droplet of superglue. The wheels are on fabricated axes:

spacer.png

Spraying the gear:

spacer.png

Constructing the gear parts together:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Test fitting the gear. 
As you can see, the pile of M13 bolts and nuts as nose weight in the nose section prevent it successfully from tailsitting! 

spacer.png

Attaching the cockpit windows to the fuselage and filling and sanding again:

spacer.png

I used Tamiya surface Primer (2 cans) to prepare the monster for the camo paintjob:

spacer.png

Ready for a camo ‘jacket’!

spacer.png

The sheer size of it.. unbelievable:

spacer.png

Only the gear of a C-5 weighs about 25000 kilograms in total..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Underside airbrushing:

spacer.png

Did the camo paint job with a friend of mine at his house. It was real teamwork; constantly refilling and diluting paint for the airbrush while the other one was paintbrushing, one holding the beast in certain positions so paint could be applied at more difficult places, holding a lamp for extra lighting etc. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paintjob ready!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Applying Gloss varnish for the decals:

spacer.png

spacer.png

An evening applying decals. Not easy I can tell you, carefully manoeuvring a 1x1meter model in different positions while trying to apply thin decals!

spacer.png

Preparing the decals.
DrawDecal prints its sheets in 1 piece, so you have to cut out every single decal:

spacer.png

This one is from Altus AFB, 97th OG. 
The only Galaxies which flew with the camo scheme and later the grey scheme on this decal sheet.

spacer.png

Finally, after 2 months struggling and scratchbuilding with resin, aluminium and a lot of superglue, may I present:

A 1/72 scale totally resin Lockheed C-5A Galaxy! 

spacer.png

Never thought I would actually manage to finish this kit.

spacer.png

A final coat of matte varnish to seal the decals and give it the dull look:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I joined the Scale Model challenge 2019 in Veldhoven, The Netherlands with this model. Didn’t win a prize, but I didn’t expect that either.. the models at that show were outstanding quality, from international professional modelbuilders. 

spacer.png

Hope you enjoyed it, and feedback is welcome!

Greetz Dick

That's absolutely gorgeous! What a beast👍👍

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 23:56, dav7700 said:

thanx a fantastic photo build..i bought this kit from hannants last june,it was the only one in stock at the time...i put some pics of the unbuilt kit on the flory forum of the kit when i got it...i love the c-5 and had to have this kit and to build once id seen someone else tackle it....super work you have inspired me to make a start on mine and invaluable tips  

:) Nice! I say go for it, it's definitely worth the blood, sweat and tears during the build!

On 06/10/2021 at 00:29, noelh said:

My abiding memory of the C5 was at at Oskhosh 2016 when a lot of us sheltered in one from the rain. It was cathedral like. The size of the thing is astonishing.

I really would like to visit a real Galaxy once, only saw them flying over my house in the eighties when they visited Soesterberg AFB.

5 minutes ago, Wolfhound32 said:

I really would like to visit a real Galaxy once, only saw them flying over my house in the eighties when they visited Soesterberg AFB.

Yes I first saw one taking off in the distance. It looked huge. That impression was not negated when I walked into the real thing. Think your school hall  multiplied by three. I sat in one of the seats along the fuselage and marvelled at the space.

Also everyone who calls themselves an aeroplane enthusiast must go to Oshkhosh once in their life.

I also sheltered from the rain under  a B17. Plus you can  walk up to a  warbird touch it and chat to the crew. Or the latest USN jet.

I'm  seriously looking at going back in 2022.

• Like 1

How's the 1:144 Anigrand version in detail, is it quite similar to the 1:72 version?

On 06/10/2021 at 11:38, bootneck said:

I have the Anigrand C-5A in 1:144 scale and that's big, so your 1:72 scale version must be ginormous! 

How's the 1:144 Anigrand version in detail, is it quite similar to the 1:72 version?

On 06/10/2021 at 21:02, Mr T said:

You could walk through it, which we did as it was raining and decided you could the airshow in the cargo hold. 

:Dlol!! I read that the first flight of the Wright Flyer could be performed in the cargo hold of a Galaxy..

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 18:03, Head in the clouds. said:

I am sure I saw one at Holbeach show a few weeks ago, was it you?

:)Thank you! And no, that wasn't my model.. I only participated a show once with this model at the SMC 2019 in Veldhoven, The Netherlands.
Do you have pictures of that C-5 model at Holbeach show?