Anigrand 1:72 Lockheed C-5A Galaxy

58 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very impressive build and congratulations on successfully tackling the beast.   I don't think I've seen one of those built up before.

I have a number of Anigrand kits (not the C-5 though) and although most are decent quality, it appears yours is especially well cast.  I would think something so large would have serious warpage issues.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark😊!

Indeed this C-5 kit was an excellent casting.

Only the upper wing halves were slightly warped, so after applying the aluminium tubing that problem was immediately solved. No extra treatment with hot water or whatsoever. 
If you get the chance to buy one for a bargain, I should give it a chance! 

Do you happen to know how the quality of the Anigrand C-98 Clipper is..? I really would like to buy that kit one day, I really like the Boeing 314 model. It’s a beautiful shaped plane...

19 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

not with any flaps down, doors open, detailed interiors or whatever

This is really impressive!  You should not in the least bit be concerned by such little nits, because they are not realistic expectations of how the real thing would appear on the ground.  I spent a fair amount of time in/around these machines as an AFROTC cadet (at Dover) and while deploying on active duty, and I can tell you that on the flight-line they are buttoned up and flaps-up exactly as you've depicted.  The ones I flew on were Dover-based aircraft, and painted as you've depicted yours.  My only concern is that the kit's lower fuselage appears to be a little abrupt in the way it curves upward aft of the gear sponsons, but happy to have others disabuse me of the notion.

3 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

I’ve built a customized transport box:

That box also looks impressive.  Another masterpiece of construction.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by dbay133
Duplication removed

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is really impressive!  You should not in the least bit be concerned by such little nits, because they are not realistic expectations of how the real thing would appear on the ground.  I spent a fair amount of time in/around these machines as an AFROTC cadet (at Dover) and while deploying on active duty, and I can tell you that on the flight-line they are buttoned up and flaps-up exactly as you've depicted.  The ones I flew on were Dover-based aircraft, and painted as you've depicted yours.  My only concern is that the kit's lower fuselage appears to be a little abrupt in the way it curves upward aft of the gear sponsons, but happy to have others disabuse me of the notion.

😬👍🏻Thank you, also for this info TheyJammedKenny! Have you really flown on these birds? So great..

about that lower fuselage; that’s correct, or better, that’s indeed incorrect.. also the sponsoons are the wrong shape. They have to ‘merge’ more upwards into the fuselage, not so bulbous as they’re now. But I noticed that too late, had no months to spend before the contest. So too bad, it is what it is.

I also had a 1:72 vacuform C-5 kit once, that was better shaped but way too difficult for me in those days, so sold it. 

This has to be one of the most impressive pictorial essays and finished products I have ever seen.  Incredible and beautifully detailed.  I salute you my friend!!!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

1 hour ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Have you really flown on these birds?

Yes, probably spent about 20 hours on them, which is not that many.  In all cases, I rode in the passenger section behind the wing on the upper deck.  On the first flight, we did an AR out over the Atlantic, which was extremely "sporty" because the aircraft was empty except for passengers.  Some of my fellow cadets, who had been eating their MAC "boxed nasties," got mightily ill as the plane porpoised behind the KC-10.  Some had pilot slots; I rather suspect they did not finish UPT after graduation.  Each of us was invited, one-by-one, to visit the flight deck, and I can tell you I properly "space walked" across the empty cargo floor due to the pitching action, but made it to the crew ladder forward.  Once I was up on top, the AC signaled me to lean forward and look up, and there it was: a KC-10 just a few feet above us.  It made a lasting impression.  

The last time I recall flying on them was from Tucson to the KSA via Frankfurt, which was a ridiculous experience that involved a) an APU fire with lotsa fuel and pax aboard, b) a pressurization system failure at altitude, c) a tail swap, and d) having to transfer 40,000 KG of cargo from one plane to another.  Long story longer--we started on an A model and finished on a B too many hours later.  Once we arrived at destination, we--the passengers--had to help push the pallets onto the K Loader ourselves because nobody was there to help us out (because we were very, very delayed).  I was the "troop commander" on that flight, and was furious at the lack of support.  Anyway, C-5s were/are maintenance intensive aircraft whose reliability does not improve with age.  Hope you liked the aside.

I am very impressed with your work, especially the innovative techniques for reinforcing the structure, and your being able to adjust the angle of the anhedral on the wings.  Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

This has to be one of the most impressive pictorial essays and finished products I have ever seen.  Incredible and beautifully detailed.  I salute you my friend!!!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Thank you for the kind compliments Sky Keg 😃 ! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Yes, probably spent about 20 hours on them, which is not that many.  In all cases, I rode in the passenger section behind the wing on the upper deck.  On the first flight, we did an AR out over the Atlantic, which was extremely "sporty" because the aircraft was empty except for passengers.  Some of my fellow cadets, who had been eating their MAC "boxed nasties," got mightily ill as the plane porpoised behind the KC-10.  Some had pilot slots; I rather suspect they did not finish UPT after graduation.  Each of us was invited, one-by-one, to visit the flight deck, and I can tell you I properly "space walked" across the empty cargo floor due to the pitching action, but made it to the crew ladder forward.  Once I was up on top, the AC signaled me to lean forward and look up, and there it was: a KC-10 just a few feet above us.  It made a lasting impression.  

The last time I recall flying on them was from Tucson to the KSA via Frankfurt, which was a ridiculous experience that involved a) an APU fire with lotsa fuel and pax aboard, b) a pressurization system failure at altitude, c) a tail swap, and d) having to transfer 40,000 KG of cargo from one plane to another.  Long story longer--we started on an A model and finished on a B too many hours later.  Once we arrived at destination, we--the passengers--had to help push the pallets onto the K Loader ourselves because nobody was there to help us out (because we were very, very delayed).  I was the "troop commander" on that flight, and was furious at the lack of support.  Anyway, C-5s were/are maintenance intensive aircraft whose reliability does not improve with age.  Hope you liked the aside.

I am very impressed with your work, especially the innovative techniques for reinforcing the structure, and your being able to adjust the angle of the anhedral on the wings.  Keep it up!

Wow... that's really cool! You've had some adventure there.

I can understand it made a lasting impression.. The KC-10 is for me one of the most impressive tankers ever! 

I once built a vacform KC-10 Extender, scale 1:72 but I sold it. I was not satisfied how it was built, things started to get loose and the gear broke twice, so I was done with it. This is (was..) my model:

spacer.png

ab5784df8b727e72db847c634481441d.jpg

spacer.png

I had the unique opportunity to ride jumpseat on a KLM B747-406, 11 hours on the flightdeck with my cousin, who is 747 Co-pilot, from Amsterdam to Seoul, South Korea. Now he's flying the 737 as the 747's are decommissioned..

But that was the coolest thing I've ever experienced!

6 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Do you happen to know how the quality of the Anigrand C-98 Clipper is..? I really would like to buy that kit one day, I really like the Boeing 314 model. It’s a beautiful shaped plane...

Sorry, I don't have that kit and don't recall reading any reviews of it, so can't answer your question. 

Cheers,

Mark

Just want to congratulate you on a great build of an impressive plane.  I remember seeing these in Georgia as a kid during testing and they were amazing as it seemed they were almost suspended in the air.  My uncle worked for Lockheed and designed hydraulics for the plane and he was always very proud of the plane they built.

2 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Just want to congratulate you on a great build of an impressive plane.  I remember seeing these in Georgia as a kid during testing and they were amazing as it seemed they were almost suspended in the air.  My uncle worked for Lockheed and designed hydraulics for the plane and he was always very proud of the plane they built.

Thank you Harold :) !

Have you seen that first test-C5A also with the long probe attached to the nose cone? 

I saw a C-5 take off from Soesterberg AFB in the late eighties, it flew right over me at the end of the runway... so impressive! What a great plane, it was an aluminium overcast ;) 

Wow! That is massive! Awesome job putting it together I'm deeply impressed!

A bit of lighting and some weathering and it would have cleaned out the house at that model show!

Looking forward to the next beast! :D

5 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Have you seen that first test-C5A also with the long probe attached to the nose cone? 

I was young and could not tell you for sure if it was the first C5A or not that I saw and certainly would not know if it had a probe or not as I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time.  You could not get close to them, only see them flying around.  I remember also seeing them when I was in the US Air Force but never got to ride on one of them.  They tended to save them for very specific missions that needed heavy lift, which would not include anything I did (they shoved us into C-130's and C-141's).   But I have to say the C-5 was and remains a spectacular aircraft.  And to think that it is still flying and will be flying for many more years.