Is this realistic water spray for jets?

Fletch0311

My first attempt at embedding an image so apologies of this doesn't work straight off......

Firstly, I realise this isn't a photo but I think it looks ace and I'd like to recreate this with my current build.

I've looked around at real images of jets flying over water and rather than see the large spray (as seen in the arty image below) water tends to be kind of pushed away in an impressive but equally not as dramatic way as this picture shows - barrelling behind.

Has anyone seen this effect in real life? Is this artistic image a good realistic reflection or should I just ignore it and do something a bit more real? 

Thanks 👍😎

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsfHr6YR1NYbgWaEXSPRIxSod-tc

10 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

Re embedding the image, there should be a dark button/box at the lower right corner of your reply editing screen: "Insert image from URL." Click it, paste in the URL and click "Insert into post."

That doesn't seem to want to work

Thanks for the reply, I will keep trying

😁

2 hours ago, Fletch0311 said:

😁

It may be that your photo has to reside at a hosting/sharing site rather than simply on a cloud drive. Just guessing ...

17 hours ago, Fletch0311 said:

😁

Ok, quick & dirty Onedrive picture embedding.
Find your picture in the Online browser view, & select/click.

y4mg3AUMXRHdYqLLWo1AVvMCyWSw3Vi5BjTblQFM

Now click the 'Embed' icon at the top

y4mCR8xEFeeUK_NcBTewWjDybP0XLK4zzYxSK-Q7

Click the 'generate' button and select the size (800 or 660 mostly).

y4mQ8_cvmi8T9Mk_WKGLldkqjtzQsHZITSRR5Eec

Copy the url and paste, or use the 'Insert image' button.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Ok, quick & dirty Onedrive picture embedding.
Find your picture in the Online browser view, & select/click.

y4mg3AUMXRHdYqLLWo1AVvMCyWSw3Vi5BjTblQFM

Now click the 'Embed' icon at the top

y4mCR8xEFeeUK_NcBTewWjDybP0XLK4zzYxSK-Q7

Click the 'generate' button and select the size (800 or 660 mostly).

y4mQ8_cvmi8T9Mk_WKGLldkqjtzQsHZITSRR5Eec

Copy the url and paste, or use the 'Insert image' button.

Thanks for the help

I was trying to enter the URL I found in the OneDrive App 

So thank you for the help, I've now learned the right way to embed an image!

My original question stands - is this water spray realistic? To be fair I really like it so will probably try and recreate anyway. It's the same pic as above but minus the waterskier 😂 . I'm just struggling to find any real photos showing something similar.

spacer.png

I think the artistic licence might be going a bit too far - not quite as low as depicted above:

spacer.png

But this Blue Angels F-18 is - the wake is still flat, though:

spacer.png

There's always the shockwave effect:

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

It isn't realistic as the shock wave behind the aircraft is cone shaped, it doesn't come from each engine.

Nice Dru Blair picture though

Andy

Bandai makes a series of figure accessories called "Tamashii Effect", including some for water spray waves. While meant for anime figures, I've used them to great effect on 1/35 armor dioramas so they might help you.

You can also ask in ship modeling forums, as they have more experience in making wave forms for waterline ship dioramas.

• Thanks 1

If you want to try it then try it!

You haven't mentioned the scale you're working with but I'd suggest using "Translucent" silicone bathroom sealant. This is the stuff that is used to seal round the edges of sinks, baths etc and "Translucent" dries clear. It comes in various sizes, usually used with a squeezy trigger gun depending on the size and it's not expensive.

Paint the base the sea colour you want. Add it in layers (sculpting as you go) as the bigger the layer, as with most things, the longer it takes to cure. If you need to add a lot then turn your base upside down so the silicone doesn't collapse down. Once cured, a quick mist with e.g. Halfords clear lacquer seals the silicone and stops it being sticky.

This is a 1/350 ship with waves and seascape made using this method. It might be a lot smaller than you want though.

u0A56bo.jpg

CcjRG7L.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Murdo said:

If you want to try it then try it!

You haven't mentioned the scale you're working with but I'd suggest using "Translucent" silicone bathroom sealant. This is the stuff that is used to seal round the edges of sinks, baths etc and "Translucent" dries clear. It comes in various sizes, usually used with a squeezy trigger gun depending on the size and it's not expensive.

Paint the base the sea colour you want. Add it in layers (sculpting as you go) as the bigger the layer, as with most things, the longer it takes to cure. If you need to add a lot then turn your base upside down so the silicone doesn't collapse down. Once cured, a quick mist with e.g. Halfords clear lacquer seals the silicone and stops it being sticky.

This is a 1/350 ship with waves and seascape made using this method. It might be a lot smaller than you want though.

u0A56bo.jpg

CcjRG7L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Yes, I'd already decided to use bathroom sealant.....I've got both clear and white, clear for most of the base area with the white intended for the columns of spray as depicted in the art above. In my mind I thought to maybe construct a frame from old sprues in the shape of the spray/blast, then hang it 90 degrees, coat the frame building it up around the sprue pieces thus allowing gravity to give the effect of it spraying when it's turned back. Then attach to the base and use clear again with paints to make it look seamless.

In my mind it seems it should work.....although I'm torn between this and doing it realisticly which is a flat wake 🤷‍♂️

And I'm working in 1/48 so its going to be big 

• Like 1