1/12 StuG IIIG SCRATCH BUILD

VIXEN

1/12 StuG IIIG SCRATCH BUILD

After building a 1/24 scratch built Maus I wanted to build something with a bit more detail and in a bigger scale. I decided to go for a StuG IIIG late war with Zimmerit, Schurzen and ultimately crew as it will become a diorama.

Here's some photos of the fighting compartment and engine deck which were 3D printed. This is where I'm at so far. Now to start adding some detail. There's also a video on YouTube where you can see more of the process HERE 

50001225608_05d6553e7d_k.jpg

50001225623_6d53c0abe2_k.jpg

50002001677_ee31c1ebcf_k.jpg

50001750481_472a25b626_k.jpg

50001228048_67ae1b1fd6_b.jpg

Edited by VIXEN
tweaking
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Looking good. I'm just finishing converting a 1/16 RC Heng Long Panzer III into an early-ish production StuG - basically it's all scratch built above the hull.

You'll need to be careful with a late StuG and Zimmerit - they stopped applying Zimmerit in Sept. 44, and there are a few mods that only applied after the end of the Zimmerit (e.g. the co-axial MG in the topfblende mantlet, and the lifting sockets on the roof). The positioning of the accessories is also a bit of a nightmare...

Here's mine

IMG_3361

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Looking good. I'm just finishing converting a 1/16 RC Heng Long Panzer III into an early-ish production StuG - basically it's all scratch built above the hull.

You'll need to be careful with a late StuG and Zimmerit - they stopped applying Zimmerit in Sept. 44, and there are a few mods that only applied after the end of the Zimmerit (e.g. the co-axial MG in the topfblende mantlet, and the lifting sockets on the roof). The positioning of the accessories is also a bit of a nightmare...

Here's mine

IMG_3361

Great work on the Heng Long. StuGs are a bit of a nightmare with all the changes. Fortunately I am well armed with plenty of books. I have a good photo of a G with zimmerit and schurzen which will make a good base to work from. It will have the co-ax in the saukopf and the late MG mounting. Still lots to discover in the 'World of StuG'.

4 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Not to mention the  field modifications....

It's the sort of subject that you really have to work up a history / back story for to get the detail just right.

• 5 months later...

Making progress on my 1:12 scale StuG IIIG slowly. The commanders cupola is now finished as is the main armament.

You can see a lot more detail about this project on my YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/StaplesandVine

50627428228_331275a2fd_k.jpg

50628177811_56cd06faa6_k.jpg

50628276842_2716790244_k.jpg

50627431838_c4be887ab7_k.jpg

Thanks for watching, I hope you find 'Project StuG' interesting.

• Like 5