Academy SU-27 Flanker B Build

Hello all

This is my 1st ever post, so unsure if I`m doing this correctly or if this is even in the right place but my friends persuaded me to set up a Britmodeller account to show my build progress. I thought I would begin with this older build {Flanker} before posting my current one {F-15E}

ok then here we go from this to this with everything in between!!!!!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Wolfpack resin cockpit set will be going in, so first job is removing the plastic section from the upper fuselage part between the hole and the raised hump. Then file smooth & test fit. Sand & file until everything fits.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

Time to get the cockpit & seat painted & fitted. After priming, I`m using Akan Grey Dark Blue from the SU-27 Flanker set. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Stephen Pryke
  • Like 1

popped a generous glob of PVA glue into the nose along with a metal bolt to supply the needed nose weight. That can be drying while I get on with other things.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wheel wells:

Before gluing the fuselage halves together, you may want to fully cut out the wheel well section that allows the wheel to store flat inside the aircraft as Hobbyboss didn`t bother to! Simple enough job but vital if modelling wheels up. Look at the hole on the left & you`ll see the right hand {inner} side is a flat edge. You need to cut out a curve for the wheel to fit. Once done sprayed with same paint I used for the cockpit.

spacer.png

Then I added some coloured wiring to represent cabling.

spacer.png

spacer.png

on to the intakes. Fanblades painted silver & glued in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit included some photo-etch grills so these were superglued into place. Then I added filler along the seamlines.

spacer.png

Once the seams were sanded smooth inside & out, I sprayed the inside medium grey. Once dry I masked the inside.......

spacer.png

...and glued them onto the underside. As always, there will be more seam lines to deal with but the fit itself wasn`t bad.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png 

as good time as any to glue on the nose. I used a little superglue at 12, 3, 6 & 9 o`clock positions to help keep the nose in position while the poly glue I put around the rest of the join could do its work. Left overnight to fully dry. The nose cone fitted perfectly & didn`t need much sanding to end up with a seamless join.

I had no idea how these front flaps attached to the wings as each leading edge is hollow, so I drilled holes, inserted metal rods & glued them into position with my trusty superglue.

These join seams need addressing:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next up are the engine panel areas...

• Like 1

Engine panel area. Using AK Extreme Metal paints airbrushed directly onto clean bare plastic with my trusty cheap Chinese airbrush.

1st I spray the darkest shade & work my way to the lightest shade, occasionally masking off small areas between colours to break up the overall colour later [pic 4].

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

What do you think? This is what they look like on the finished model taken on a much better camera in natural light. My 1st attempt. I`m ecstatic how well it turned out!

spacer.png

Engine panel area & cockpit masked. Model primed. Ready for the main paint now

spacer.png

Edited by Stephen Pryke
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

For some reason that escapes me now, I firstly painted the nose white!

spacer.png

then I moved on to the light blue which was an 'all over' for the fuselage. The tail fins got a coat too.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Then it was time to add the patches. First the grey.........................................................then the dark blue (which I thought was too dark but left it anyway much to my regret)

On to the undercarriage.............................................

Main undercarriage:

Firstly I added fuse wire attached in place with superglue to create cabling. Then the bare, unpainted 'metal' areas of the strut were painted with AK extreme metal steel. Once dry, they were masked off & the main struts were painted in Tamiya light grey.

spacer.png

The wheels were one piece so were simply sprayed with Akan wheel disc green & once dry, coated with Klear to seal the paint. The tyres supplied were also one piece (rubber) so I rubbed the tread with sandpaper a little, so the tread stood out a little and then pushed them onto the wheels. Couldn`t have been simpler!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The front strut was a pain to put together but I managed it. I was very disappointed to discover Academy didn`t supply any clear parts for the nosewheel lights. That was poor for Academy. I painted the fronts silver but in hindsight, I should have made some round discs from some clear sprue or other clear material & glued them on with pva glue so the silver paint shows through. would`ve looked much better. A task for another day in future perhaps?

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Really nice looking model. The colourful camo works brilliantly. I had this kit ages ago and it got lost somewhere in one of my various house moves. This makes me want to hunt it down and try to make it.👍

some more.......

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I think I may be repeating some pics so I`ll stop now ha ha. Thanks for following the progress. Next up is a Lakenheath dio consisting of the following:

F-15E 494sq 91313 Texas Ranger (operating from an undisclosed base circa 2018)

Flightline trailer

Hangar toolbox

Fire extinguisher

Starter unit

Generator

R-11 Fuel truck

Groundcrew

Stay tuned..............................................................................

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Really nice looking model. The colourful camo works brilliantly. I had this kit ages ago and it got lost somewhere in one of my various house moves. This makes me want to hunt it down and try to make it.👍

Thanks.

As it`s an old kit, they`re fairly cheap if you can find one. This only cost me 15 quid inc. delivery which cost 6, so I got an absolute bargain! Try a search on eBay, you never know.

Edited by Stephen Pryke
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Impressive job on the camo, really like it.

I do too but I originally wanted a faded look. This looks closer to the Ukranian scheme but it works for me lol!

Normal for me, I focused on the cockpit photos and found your work to be excellent, as is the overall build. Display that model with great pride!

• Like 1

Nicely built Flanker Stephen. Although Academy Flankers have known issues (e.g. lenght) once it is finished looks always beautiful.

I have dozen of Academy and it's cheap MHM copies (besides Kitty Hawk, Hobby Boss and Kinetic Flankers) and I am planning to use them to build T-10M series because it won't hurt too much when I butcher these relatively cheap kits 🙂

Serkan

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 02:16, SAT69 said:

Normal for me, I focused on the cockpit photos and found your work to be excellent, as is the overall build. Display that model with great pride!

Thanks