Holt 150 ton Field Monitor – What could have been. America's 1915 land battleship.

Holt 150 ton Field monitor

Let me introduce my entirely 1/48 scratch-built whopper – the Holt 150 ton Field monitor.

During the Mexican boarder war (or was it the Mexican revolution – it's so bloody confusing) the Americans seriously considered building these monstrosities, and arming them with two 6” naval guns. It seems the main reason they decided not to, is because the metal monsters wouldn't be able to keep up with the cavalry horses. There are no contemporary pictures or diagrams and only a pretty confusing written description, from which a modern side view has been cobbled together (see WIP thread). My model is mainly (but not slavishly) based on these.

I've had a stern word with my camera ( words like “get a grip” and “snap out of it” were used) and managed to get some pics. As I said in the WIP, I'm aware the base looks more like Blackpool beach than the Mexican desert and I know it's a bit of a let down that it isn't displayed as a Whopper versus Mexican donkey stare-off, but hope you like it anyway.

Whopper+1.JPG

Whopper+2.JPG

Whopper+4.JPG

Whopper+3.JPG      Whopper+8.JPG

Whopper+5.JPG

Whopper+6.JPG

Whopper+7.JPG

Whopper+9.JPG

Whopper+10.JPG

Thanks for having a ganders.

This is the work in progress, although at 17,000 words you may need to wait until you retire before you tackle it.

• Like 43
  • Haha 2

Look good - how did it go round corners though?  Did they ever figure it out?  Some kind of differential drive and big ruts? :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

This Military forerunner of the Winnebago is a wonder to behold, and you are to be congratulated for your dedication to embossed rivets.

The figures look good with it and so does the 'Blackpool sand'. Is the guy at the front thinking 'Wrong way, gotta turn around, darn it!'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is superb! Not just the build but the running monologue that accompanied it! :rofl:

Might have missed a trick not giving it a funnel with accompanied mast and pennants, or is this the block 2 version with an internal combustion engine?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, I think it looks quite fetching, almost stylish if you will.

Superb, in every way!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 2

Superb bit of scratch building Mark. I certainly wouldn't have wanted the job of kick starting it:yikes:. As much as I like this 2cv lookalike, I don't think that I will bother with emulating your build. No, I'll wait for someone to bring out a kit of it (Don't laugh! Stranger things have happened).

John.

• Haha 4

Thanks everyone who has commented and everyone who has 'liked' or 'laughed' or even just looked (and didn't want to fatigue themselves unduly by making the Herculean effort to click 'like' – bless. Perhaps you should just go and lie down, those eyelids must be really heavy).

@Redcoat2966 : Yes it is airbrushed, I was all out of paint rollers.

@Mike : Apparently the idea was to have a gearbox for each wheel, so that theoretically, each wheel could be going at a different speed or even a different direction to the others. I should imagine that it would have to stop before any change of direction could be organised. In reality it would probably have ripped itself apart even if they every did find a way to coordinate the manoeuvres.

@stevehnz : probably more out of the padded box...

@Pete in Lincs: He's thinking 'I know I left my whopper here somewhere'. You can always tell who the officers are.

48 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Might have missed a trick not giving it a funnel with accompanied mast and pennants, or is this the block 2 version with an internal combustion engine?

@Jasper dog : That's the one thing I'm not sure about, they do look more like exhaust pipes. If I were to do it again (no bloody way) I'd do the smokestack more of an upwards slopping angle.

@Bullbasket: I think you might be waiting quite a while John – and then it'd be in the wrong scale.

Thanks again mates. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Good grief....!!! 

Marvellous bit of scratchbuilding Gorby, and good use of the figures to show the thing was just a bit bigger than the usual AFV....!!

17 hours ago, Gorby said:

This is the work in progress, although at 17,000 words you may need to wait until you retire before you tackle it.

I've been retired for years so reckon I might just have enough time left to read it...!! 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Blimey! that thing would have been completely bonkers! Excellent scratch building!  The way you have displayed the model gives you a sense of how huge and totally impracticable it would have been.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Well that turned out nice. It obviously isn't Blackpool Beach as there isn't litter knee deep everywhere :D What would really set it off and mess with people's heads would be a nice camel. They get everywhere like tax inspectors do and social workers don't.

As for your next project I've been reading up on Le Tourneau Aircraft Salvage cranes and found some other equally bonkers offerings including a Land train. I'll be off now.

• Haha 2

Thanks mate for all the comments matiepoos. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

As for your next project I've been reading up on Le Tourneau Aircraft Salvage cranes and found some other equally bonkers offerings including a Land train. I'll be off now.

Damnit I don't need any encouragement! But hell yes those cranes look the biz.

Did I mention I've got a thing about cranes…

did I just say that out loud?:blush:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

What would really set it off and mess with people's heads would be a nice camel.

Master box do a 1/35 camel, not sure if they have scaled it down or not. Just give it a Sombrero to blend in...:whistle:

• Haha 5