EC-24A - the US Navy DC-8

Here's my 1/144 EC-24A, built for the In The Navy group build. The EC-24A was a DC-8-55 converted for use by the US Navy Fleet Electronic Warfare Support Group as an electronic aggressor. It's the Minicraft kit with shortened fuselage, Bra.Z resin engines, and scratch-built conversion parts (mostly 3D-printed). Decals are from various sources, including some I printed myself. Build thread is here.

1/144 EC-24A

1/144 EC-24A

1/144 EC-24A

1/144 EC-24A

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 47

Very nice!  Certainly is something you won't see in everybody's display cabinet. Everything seems to come together on this to the point that it doesn't even look like a conversion.

My first thought was that it looked like it was an out of the box build of a kit that I wasn't familiar with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

12 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Never knew they had a DC-8

They just had the one. They were already operating two NKC-135As (I'm building one of these as well - hopefully going to finish it today, check back in to RFI later!) in the same role and apparently needed a third aircraft - the DC-8 was chosen over a third KC-135 for various reasons including better ground clearance for the belly canoe fairing and because it had no flight time limitations. 

• Like 1

What a great conversion and smart looking build. Good skills, so nice to see some lovely 1/144 work of rare aircraft. Looking forward to the NKC-135. I was just flicking through an old ‘superbase’ book about Edwards AFB the other day and saw one there and was tempted to try one myself!

• Thanks 1

An excellent pair of models of a very obscure and different subjects, your WIP was another lesson in the way that new technology like good 3D printing is coming into the reach of the "average" modeller and how it is enabling them to expand the hobby.

• Thanks 1

Some very nice work here. Thank you for sharing. Really admire the skills you've displayed in printing your own parts, and converting this kit to a masterpiece. That goes double for the KC-135 you posted as well. Both builds get a WOW! Really good job! :clap:

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
22 hours ago, peterd23 said:

Hi

I sent you a PM i would be interested in paying you for some 3d parts so I could build one of these.

Please email me [email protected] 

Thanks!

Welcome Pete, first time in this neck of the woods I see :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...