Iwata airbrush spraying off axis

kitman

Hi - just a note to ask if anyone can advise me about the causes and possible cure for a problem that has arisen with my iwata highline airbrush. That problem being that when i spray, the spray dosn't spray straight out of the brush, but a few degrees to the right. I have examined the needle , which is new but cant find anything wrong there. There is no apparent problem which i can see at the point where the needle sticks through the nozzle. The gap is conistant . I did find though that un tightening the needle cap and nozzle cup that the spray corrected itself. Had a close look at those but couldnt see anything wrong there.Thanks in advance🙂

1. The nozzle is misaligned with the body. Don't know if you have a rubber seal on the nozzle, but if you do that can sometimes seat wrong causing the nozzle to be slightly offset.

2. The nozzle cap is misaligned. Check the seal, make sure you don't overtighten things.

Technically every part of the airbrush should be finger tight, if the rubber seals get deformed (from tightening parts with pliers or anything similar) then the parts can get slightly offset causing the spray pattern to change. If the rubber seals are old they might be undersized by now causing parts to screw in more than they're supposed to so it might be worth comparing the old seals to new ones in terms of size (if you have a new set).

Agreed. Give the whole brush a strip down and clean.

My Iwata CR doesn't use rubber seals anywhere near paint side. Only the airside uses a couple of O Rings.

Use bees wax to seal nozzle and air cap.

But definitely muck in the nozzle, split nozzle or teflon packing washer, that can cause needle/nozzle alignment trouble.

A damaged needle will also cause this. Run it through your fingers (backwards!) And you will feel any roughness or any burs. Polish with Duragrlit or soft polishing sponge.

Hth.

Rick.

A good look at the nozzle might be useful. I have had a similar problem on my Neo and the nozzle tip was not even. Guess what is currently out of stock at most places. 

• Thanks 1