Revell 1/72 Concord

55 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

The large fairing that you mention, is this the long part attached to the top of the fuselage? 

Yes it is. I don't know what it is for, an antenna of some sort I guess. I think the short fairing is ok though.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

11 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Yes it is. I don't know what it is for, an antenna of some sort I guess. I think the short fairing is ok though.

Cheers,

Ian

The fairings are for the ADF antennas:

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/concorde-antenna-sensors-and-other

I don't think they will look as obvious when it is painted all over.

• Thanks 1

There were a few areas that went unnoticed, it was only until I primed and in better light that I noticed a few dodgy horrible seams.  I really need this to set so I can prime and then paint, as this stage has taken some time.

50057015283_b41edc9f3d_b.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

There were a few areas that went unnoticed, it was only until I primed and in better light that I noticed a few dodgy horrible seams.  I really need this to set so I can prime and then paint, as this stage has taken some time.

Priming is one of those stages that makes me excited knowing that I'm so close to the painting stage, but when I start seeing those imperfections, I know I'm not quite there yet...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Just found this clever little youtube post, short annimation of the 1/72 Concord build, the poster doesn't do any of the fixes re: fit but I thought it was pretty neat.

I wonder how long it took him to make that video. 

It makes it look like this kit falls together so easily!

Edited by neilg
  • Like 1

Underside all done, frustratingly, you will notice that the port side intake is a bit wonky, I only noticed this well after the glue had set, wasn't brave enough to resolve.  Looking at the nose section, the sensors are really nothing like the real ones, too obvious, I only with I had omitted them.  I could remove but that would require some fixes to the surface and paint.

50063711458_f856bc5ca8_b.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Underside all done, frustratingly, you will notice that the port side intake is a bit wonky, I only noticed this well after the glue had set, wasn't brave enough to resolve.  Looking at the nose section, the sensors are really nothing like the real ones, too obvious, I only with I had omitted them.  I could remove but that would require some fixes to the surface and paint.

That's looking good!  Which white are you using?

The sensors are a bit oversized, but from an observing distance, they don't look too bad when it's finished.

If possible, I would try to install the main landing gear doors on the underside of the fuselage.  I think these doors were designed and made in a different factory to the fuselage, because they don't fit neatly.

There seems to be some issues with the shape and size on each door.  With the doors closed, there are uneven gaps all around:

IMG_1429

It might be easier to do it now where you can touch up the paint without too much trouble.

• Like 1

Hi Neil, I was in too minds how to go with the doors, I couldn't see how to fit the undercarriage with them on. so I left off.  I know the fit is terrible, but was going to fit and maybe fill before touching up with paint.  It shouldn't be an issue once all together.

For the paint, I am using Rust-Oleum 400ml Painter's Touch.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 12:45 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

Doing well Andy

Dear Mr HP 42, in my mind the phrase - isnt hard to get a nice model and its quite a lot of work is confusing. A lot of work usually means something harder than normal.

Andy is doing a great job on this Concorde and putting in the work.

regards Toby

No worries. Some clarification: The 1:72 Concorde requires much work but not of a highly skilled nature. Keep at it and you get a nice model, it's generally easy work, just lots of it. Thus if you're prepared to stick with it (fill-sand-repeat) you soon get a splendid looking model without it being too technical. Of course you CAN get all skilful and technical if you like (e.g. moving nose wheel bay) but it's not really necessary unless you're a rivet counter. My message is, 'don't be put off if a Concorde is what you always wanted'. :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Not a great starts, this will need some quick sorting!

50093927946_ac222e46e2_b.jpg

Which way round did you put the decals on?

I found putting the fairing decal on first was tidier - the bigger decal then sat on top to hold it in place.

13 minutes ago, neilg said:

Which way round did you put the decals on?

I found putting the fairing decal on first was tidier - the bigger decal then sat on top to hold it in place.

Small one on first. I'll be honest I'm tempted to look at a replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Small one on first. I'll be honest I'm tempted to look at a replacement. 

It'll sink in place if you have some decal setting solution.

Mine took a bit of manipulating and wrinkled up beyond belief when I applied them, but the next day they were in place perfectly:

IMG_1551

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, neilg said:

It'll sink in place if you have some decal setting solution.

Mine took a bit of manipulating and wrinkled up beyond belief when I applied them, but the next day they were in place perfectly:

IMG_1551

Yours looks very good indeed.  Looks like I also placed mine a little low.  I have some decal set solution, so will try that again.

15 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Yours looks very good indeed.  Looks like I also placed mine a little low.  I have some decal set solution, so will try that again.

Yer I think you could nudge it up a little - the tip of the swish shouldn't be touching the fuselage at the bottom.