Revell 1/72 Concord

14 minutes ago, Orso said:

You are doing a good job taming the beast but now I am even more convinced that I made the right decision to stay far away from that kit.

It's beautiful when it's made, though - I just think it's a shame it's discontinued now, probably because so many people heard such bad things about it.

Or, someone somewhere is retooling a more accurate kit!

• Like 1

I've sanded, and that took some sanding!  I attempted to alter the profile of the nose as it looked odd, I will apply some primer to see how it looks, before fitting to the nose.  

50039700106_79e80a9360_c.jpg

50039700136_c1b4572b79_c.jpg

• Like 2

Engines fitted, nose section fitted.  Time for the initial primer to make sure there are no major flaws.  Then I can stick on the bits that no doubt I will knock off before painting.

50040226858_792a9ccc10_b.jpg

50040779991_a41afaea7c_b.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, neilg said:

Did you get any major steps between the forward fuselage-main cabin sections?

Yes, I did the usual sanding and filler to hide the best I could.  This join was worse than the tail to fuselage.  If they ever re-tool this again at 1/72 I would really like to give this another go.  something for me to keep.  Saying that, I would be happy to build another one, maybe "Air France" in supersonic flight.

22 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Yes, I did the usual sanding and filler to hide the best I could.  This join was worse than the tail to fuselage.  If they ever re-tool this again at 1/72 I would really like to give this another go.  something for me to keep.  Saying that, I would be happy to build another one, maybe "Air France" in supersonic flight.

I did one wheels-up, and an Air France one in supersonic flight.

I've got a third to do in Landor livery, which I can't decide on which "pose" to do...

You could try this technique for your next build, to assemble the nose and forward section first, then attaching one half of the main cabin and tail.

This will allow you to better match the different diameters, and avoiding any steps between the sections:

IMG_1745

Then you can assemble the other halves, as with  a normal kit.

This should help reduce the amount of filling and sanding to match the different sizes.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, neilg said:

I did one wheels-up, and an Air France one in supersonic flight.

I've got a third to do in Landor livery, which I can't decide on which "pose" to do...

You could try this technique for your next build, to assemble the nose and forward section first, then attaching one half of the main cabin and tail.

This will allow you to better match the different diameters, and avoiding any steps between the sections:

IMG_1745

Then you can assemble the other halves, as with  a normal kit.

This should help reduce the amount of filling and sanding to match the different sizes.

Great advice thanks Neil. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Which marking sceme will you be using Andy?

regards Toby

Do you know Toby, I hadn't thought about it. It was probably going to reference the one that landed and took off from Filton. Sorry not gave that much thought.   Looks to be G-BOAF. 

Not that much progress, since my previous prep and painting skills were not up to scratch, this one was new territory for me.  I know it's all in the prep, but this has taken longer than expected.  I'm now ready for a few coats of primmer and then onto the final white coat.

50049022928_6c56542a43_b.jpg

And yes, everything in the garage that was black, is now grey!!! Wife was so pleased. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Orso said:

You are doing a good job taming the beast but now I am even more convinced that I made the right decision to stay far away from that kit.

The thing is, if you want a Concorde in this scale it really isn't hard to get a nice model, it's just quite a lot of work that's not overly skillful. You can go all out with photo etch like I did (mojo killer) or do as my mate did and just slap it together, fill in the gaps, sand the excess, wheels up, nose up, park it on it's stand and ignore most of the stencils. You'll get a gorgeous model very quickly. If you have very high standards, it's a challenge, though more workload than skill. Use the builds on here to guide you and you've cracked it. The Revell issue has better decals!

• Thanks 1

Doing well Andy

Dear Mr HP 42, in my mind the phrase - isnt hard to get a nice model and its quite a lot of work is confusing. A lot of work usually means something harder than normal.

Andy is doing a great job on this Concorde and putting in the work.

regards Toby

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments.  It really is a labour of love.  It has been a new experience, and had taken more time than I thought.  Some of the issues I have overcome were a challenge but I've had some great advice throughout.  It's is still being primed and I'm hoping that I can start the painting tomorrow.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Following your build and enjoying seeing it come together.

I just noticed in your pic above the long fairing on the fuselage is far too deep. There are loads of pics on the web showing it to be at least half as deep. Might be a good time to rectify it before any more paint goes on!

Cheers,

Ian

29 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Andy,

Following your build and enjoying seeing it come together.

I just noticed in your pic above the long fairing on the fuselage is far too deep. There are loads of pics on the web showing it to be at least half as deep. Might be a good time to rectify it before any more paint goes on!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for your comments.  The large fairing that you mention, is this the long part attached to the top of the fuselage?  Sorry not that up to speed on parts of aircraft.

Cheers

Andy