AV-8B Harrier II VMA-214 Blacksheep

AV-8B Harrier II

VMA-214 'Blacksheep', Yuma, Arizona, 1992

This is the old 1/48 Monogram kit built straight from the box except for decals, which were Microscale. This was unusual for me in two ways. Firstly I normally stick to 1/72, and secondly I would normally spend a long time re-scribing a kit that has raised panel lines. In this case I went for a quick build (is there ever such a thing?) as the kit only made its way from the attic because I needed the drop tanks from it to finish off my old UPC Skyray which I posted onto this site earlier. So it was lying around and I thought I might as well build it. I was very pleasantly surprised. Firstly to my eye it looks just right for an early AV-8B. The detail was all there in typical Monogram style and it went together very nicely without much filler. I kept wondering when I was building it whether I should have scribed in the panel lines but now its finished I'm glad I didn't as it looks fine. It's made me re consider re-scribing in future. Maybe I don't always have to do that! The old Superscale decals worked perfectly well, except that on the sheet I used there were no stencils except for the air intake warning so I had to search the spare decal stocks and found something that was roughly right from some F-18 sheets. I'm very tempted with more 1/48 Harriers now - a couple of those Kinetic Sea Harriers might be first on the list.

IMG_4235

IMG_4233

IMG_4228

IMG_4227

IMG_4225

IMG_4223

IMG_4222

IMG_4220

• Like 27

That is a great looking Harrier!  She's wearing a nice, sharp paint job and I noticed you've handled the kit's issue with the rear main gear not touching the ground. :clap2:  How did you manage that, as I know I've seen discussion of the flaw before.   This was the fourth kit I built back in the late 1980s after I returned to scale modeling.  I was always a bit embarrassed that those tires didn't quite contact the surface and along with a few other issues, never bothered to photograph it.  

I like the fact that you didn't rescribe the kit too. 👍  You've built proof that it's not always required to produce a fine model.   Bravo Chris!  😀

btw-This Harrier has me rethinking my Harrier a bit.  I'm wondering if it's possible to retroactively change the landing gear position to a more correct location after all these years.    Or, perhaps, with some chocks in place, it might be taken out to the airport for a photo shoot...thanks for the great inspiration sir! 🍺

33 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

That is a great looking Harrier!  She's wearing a nice, sharp paint job and I noticed you've handled the kit's issue with the rear main gear not touching the ground. :clap2:  How did you manage that, as I know I've seen discussion of the flaw before.   This was the fourth kit I built back in the late 1980s after I returned to scale modeling.  I was always a bit embarrassed that those tires didn't quite contact the surface and along with a few other issues, never bothered to photograph it.  

I like the fact that you didn't rescribe the kit too. 👍  You've built proof that it's not always required to produce a fine model.   Bravo Chris!  😀

btw-This Harrier has me rethinking my Harrier a bit.  I'm wondering if it's possible to retroactively change the landing gear position to a more correct location after all these years.    Or, perhaps, with some chocks in place, it might be taken out to the airport for a photo shoot...thanks for the great inspiration sir! 🍺

Hi Gary. Thanks for your comments. How I handled the main gear was to leave it loose in it’s location slot rather than fixing it. I put some scrap plastic on the top of the slot to prevent it from slipping out. It means you have to paint the leg before you put the fuselage halves together and then be very careful not to damage it during the rest of the build. The aircraft then stands on its nose and outrigger gears, with the main gear free to touch the ground.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

Hi Gary. Thanks for your comments. How I handled the main gear was to leave it loose in it’s location slot rather than fixing it. I put some scrap plastic on the top of the slot to prevent it from slipping out. It means you have to paint the leg before you put the fuselage halves together and then be very careful not to damage it during the rest of the build. The aircraft then stands on its nose and outrigger gears, with the main gear free to touch the ground.

That's an ingenious fix!  Great idea for sure!  Thanks for the description. 🍻

I used the tones indicated by the kit and I did not stay the same, will it be the version? .... something does not suit me ....... splendid work of yours.

spacer.png

Edited by zeuschile
  • Like 1