Where do the old models go

Just joined the forum and reading some of the posts it seems some of you guys have been modelling for a very long time, probably completed lots of  various models, ships/cars etc etc. 

What I'm wondering is what do you do with all these completed models? 

Fine if you have a dedicated room to build and store them, what about folk with smaller houses. 

Mine go on display. I'll look at them on occasion with a critical eye and if one of them no longer pleases, then it'll be 'Returned To Produce'. The good bits - wheels, cockpit interiors, seats, propellers, etc. will go to the spares box, while the main airframe parts go in the bin. I can't tell you just how many seats and cockpit bits get re-used, especially when you build a lot of classic kits as I do! 

• Like 2

Gidday, I have a display cabinet, a gift from Mrs AA, that has six levels, and all my model ships (bar one) and my few aircraft fit in there. It is one of the reasons I've stuck with the smaller scales (1/600 and lately 1/700). Regards, Jeff.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:09 PM, Graham Boak said:

Onto shelves for a few years, into boxes for a few decades, then sling them out.

Sounds familiar.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:38 AM, Paul Bradley said:

'Returned To Produce'

Nice idea but hasn't happened for me.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:27 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I have a display cabinet

Sooner or later, they fill up too...

Stuart

Wall mounted cabinets in the stairwell and dining room, plus 2 large display cabinets, emptying of figure collection and filling with models.

Also some kept in boxes for model shows.

Chris

• Like 1

Most kept in an IKEA Display Cabinet - which is very good and spacious

I went for one wider than the other types as the other type is tall but you can't fit wide models like 1/350 Ships inside with ease 

It retails for £ 150 

ElWEGvr.jpg

The other way I keep them safe ( I haveof these , is have 1 inside either Acrylic or Glass  Framed Display Cases -

again not cheap , but they do the job as they keep the dread dust off - and stop prying young fingers from damaging them 

and of course display the models - they are in alcoves , or on shelves -

xturlhO.jpg

The one I had purpose made for the 1/350 Repulse cost me a lot of money - but its a real quality item 

I am currently having a long wooden shelf purpose made for the Trumpeter  HMS Repulse and another future 1/350 Kit 

to the left of the fireplace 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Courageous said:
On 6/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I have a display cabinet

Sooner or later, they fill up too...

Gidday, that's true but I think I have a while to go yet. Plus I was thinking of fitting some 'mezzanine' shelves at the rear half to increase capacity. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

They go to a farm in the country!

Well, that or my display cabinet (this is from a few years ago).

Display-Cabinet1.jpg

That's my girl Cora, making sure I don't get into any trouble.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:50 PM, FrankJ said:

Just joined the forum and reading some of the posts it seems some of you guys have been modelling for a very long time, probably completed lots of  various models, ships/cars etc etc. 

What I'm wondering is what do you do with all these completed models? 

Fine if you have a dedicated room to build and store them, what about folk with smaller houses. 

When I was a kid and had a small bedroom, most of the model aircraft would be hanging from the ceiling, to free up room on shelves for model tanks and ships.

But sadly, all of my old models are gone. Broken up and ends up in the bin.