Cheers guys, glad you are enjoying the thread.

18 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi David,

from your photo it really looks to be some kind of clear varnish. The change in colour seem to result from the different sheen of this coating. Maybe it could be replicated the same way on the kit (matt base coat and semi-gloss/gloss for the skid areas, maybe with a slight tinting if the contrast is not high enough)? Anyhow, will be an interesting detail when added.

Cheers

Markus

I agree, I think that will be the best method, matt/satin clear + very thin grey to tint. 

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great wok on the canopy! :inlove:

Quatari Rafales are supposedly getting the Sniper pod for external differences  if I am correct....:)

Cheers Werner, yep they are getting the full complement of the most up to date kit. I'd like to load some Meteor missiles so I might hold off on the weapons load until I get them, or maybe even add Scalp + Meteor later on, not sure yet. I do like the look of simple load on the Rafale. 

On the canopy, I ended up redoing it as the future/klear I dipped it in refused to dry and just left fingerprints even after several weeks. So I got a new bottle which works well but I left off the Alclad copper tint this time. I changed my mind and think maybe it is too much for the Rafale sometimes...mostly it just looks normally tinted, for the F-22 and F-16 however I will use this technique though certainly. 

So the new tint with 4 parts smoke:1 part clear orange, this time I made it more subtle also. The black seals and interior were masked and sprayed nato black. 

L1200513

The det cord on the front canopy here,

rafale_c_113-ge_087_of_171.jpg

This was replicated with a very thin bit of light grey stretched sprue. It's so thin, it seems almost slightly translucent so I didn't paint it which looks like the real thing a bit more imho. This had to be bent to conform to the canopy shape and was trapped and glued by the mirror frame insert and central canopy divider (or whatever it is called). I didn't want to get glue anywhere near the actual clear part of the the canopy. 

L1200550

Finally I replaced the HUD projector with a bit of purple-ish film which toned this area down a bit and dry brushed the avionics bay a bit more, the cockpit is glued and finished now so I can put the canopy on and get on with the painting.

L1200525

Thanks for looking,

David. 

• Like 6

• 2 years later...