T34 1942 Production Model. Tamiya 1/35th Scale

fatfingers

How do chaps,

This will be my humble contribution to the proceedings.

ocYQZ3l.jpg

I've always preferred the look of the T34 with the 'curvier' turret. This was bagged cheap on e bay especially for the GB. Kit dates from around 1975/6 so will be a nice simple build with nothing fancy. Hopefully should be able to make a start over the weekend with this.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Steve

• Like 8

Hi Steve. Hope you and yours are well. Good to see you here and I'm looking forward to seeing your build of this old kit in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Aye up Stix.

All's good with me and hope the same goes for you too.

I've made a start on this and will post the pics up later. Typical older Tamiya kit. What it lacks in detail it makes up in 'bulidability'

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

How do chaps,

Well made a start on the kit. It actually dates from 1974 so its almost as old as I am! Sprue shot and the only flash I can see is around the various grab handles. I may replace these with some wire.

1VazunW.jpg

Made a start with these...

6aLTLzv.jpg

And then a short time later ended up with these...

qgVFtfb.jpg

Attention was then turned to the lower hull...

Good old Tamiya nut and bolt to hold the bracket that holds the metal axle for the front idlers. This kit dates from the days when motorisation was king! 

ptBRsaA.jpg

Rear plate in place along with drive housings and a couple of other bits and bobs... Swing arms are moulded in place and I need to sort the holes in the hull bottom.

aG8FSCA.jpg

Drivers hatch assembled and actually has some quite nice detail on the inner face. Shame it won't be seen!

dBZa9cU.jpg

And fitted in place...

LjyIRHN.jpg

Various vents and covers added to the rear hull...

IyVTrxz.jpg

Started on the spinny shooty bit. This has a fairly decent cast texture on the sides of the turret. 

AKWQGdI.jpg

And sat on the hull to see how it looks...

xAXlrHI.jpg

This is going together a lot faster than i thought it would! Might have to slow down a bit!!!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2020 at 16:46, SleeperService said:

Very clean and fast work. Just a note if doing a WW2 tank you need to remove the two towing eyes from the extreme nose. They were added Post-War for solid towbars.

I did not know about that 35 years ago when I built mine, they are some of the few kits that have survived from that era.  To detail them further I used to thin then cut out the moulded mesh over the engine and replace it with plastic mesh, just a thought. :hmmm:

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:36 AM, Retired Bob said:

To detail them further I used to thin then cut out the moulded mesh over the engine and replace it with plastic mesh, just a thought. 

The 1/48 Tamiya kit allows you to relive that experience all over again. At least it means lots of shavings to make plastic gloop with. Very handy for making copies of fuel caps and such.

• Like 1

Greetings Comrades from the glorious workers paradise of Tank Factory 91 (namely the shed!)

Work progresses without delay!

@Retired Bob Like your suggestion but I'm far too heavy handed to be cutting away at the grills. I'm highly likely to make a total hash of it! :whistle:

Following the suggestion from Comrade @SleeperService the two front towing eyes were removed from the model and the stubs were sanded smooth. I then started to fill the various holes in the lower hull with random bits of plastic card.

J8Xsq5e.jpg

The undersides of the upper hull fenders were also filled with strips of plastic card.

aEbCGKD.jpg

Fuel tanks and grab rails added to the upper hull sides.

t4JfRG0.jpg

And finally a shot of the tank with the wheels and tracks on to see how it all looks.

X4Y9wdz.jpg

I think that the bulk of the build is now finished and just got some filling to do where I've blanked off the various holes and then it will be off to the Workers Paradise Paint Shop. No 4BO for this, just a nice coat of a suitable green.

More to follow soon.

прощай товарищ 

Стив (apparently that's my name in Russian!)

• Like 3

On 04/07/2020 at 13:27, SleeperService said:

The 1/48 Tamiya kit allows you to relive that experience all over again.

No need to use the 1/48 Tamiya kit, the Dragon photo-etch does not fit the cut out engine cover, so I have relived my past T-34 experience and thinned and cut out the moulded mesh from the engine cover and then glued some of the correct mesh in there.

• Like 1

Aye up Steve. Tha's mekin a reet grand job o' yon tenk. See, I've been practicing. A couple more Gervase Phinn books and I'll be fluent. I've also been taking lessons from my niece. She lives in Bellerby.

Nice work though Steve. Some of these old Tamiya kits are worth putting a bit of effort into as they can turn into nice models.

John. 

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:26 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Steve. Just checking if you've had chance to do any more on this since the 5th?

Kind regards,

Stix

Aye up Stix,

No progress at all i'm afraid. My mojo has taken a bit of a kicking since i finished the Tamiya M3 Scout car. Keep sitting at the bench but just don't seem to be able to get going with it. Hopefully this will change soon though... 🙄

Regards,

Steve

• Sad 1