British 1000lb bomb colour?

Sebastien

Hi,

I want to put some 1000lbs under my Saudi Tornado, but I can't find what colour I should use.

So has anybody here any idea of what Gunze colour I should use for those bombs?

TIA,

S.

Certainly, but I'm thinking of how 330 has looked when I've brushed it out.  If you want something less olive and slightly more bluish, maybe 302 FS34092?  That might be a bit light.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I bet @Selwyn will know- I seem to recall him posting on the color a while back, but for the life of me, I can't remember what he said it was!

Mike

The correct colour is Bs 381C  224 Deep bronze green.

Selwyn

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Further to what Selwyn said I was an armourer in the bomb storage area at Honington in 1970 - 71, and I can confirm that the bombs were bronze green as stated. They were stored in rows outside, so consequently became rather weathered after a while, so every so often we would bring them in and re - paint them, adding the 2" yellow band ( H E ).

As stated, the tail units were seperate, and although they too were bronze green they were more glossy , although in 72 scale that wouldn't matter too much.

As well as the practice rounds in saxe blue we also had "Drill " rounds which were painted Oxford blue , which was a darker ( Royal? ) blue. These were mostly used for loading / unloading practice, but may also have been carried in flight for training purposes.  HTH:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sebastien,

Noting your brand constraint, do you have H420, RLM 80? That might be in the ballpark for DBG.  It would at least provide some contrast with the dark green component of the aircraft's camouflage.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kingcanberra said:

Any one got a paint match for Saxe Blue?

I'd be surprised if any model paint manufacturer has anything like it in their paint ranges, but I'd tend to use a representation of FS35109, if only because that was what Esci used to call out from the Humbrol Authentic range. It might still be in the Xtracolor range.

H75 used to be a very nice Deep Bronze Green but a long time ago changed to a duller green.  I haven't tried it recently to see if it has changed back.  However, be surprised!  Colourcoats do a series of Bronze Greens, look in their British AFV colours.  It long was the standard colour for British Army vehicles.  Xtracolour does (or did) do a British Army Green but I wouldn't care to say whether it matches or not.

Gunze Sangyo lists a bronze green, No. 216, in their new  lacquer paint line, but I have no idea how close it might be to the RAF color. They also list a bronze green, H302, in their acrylic line.  IIRC, FS 34092 is said to be close match for the U.S. bronze/dull dark green, but I'm not at all sure it's a match for the RAF stores color. Does this help?

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 13/06/2020 at 10:47, Selwyn said:

The correct colour is Bs 381C  224 Deep bronze green.

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=BS 381C&cRef=BS381C 224&metallic2=False&cDescription=Deep bronze green

near match FS 34083  or 34064.  See the link.

IF this is the same as the tank colour,  which AFAIK it is

BS381C: 1930 COLOURS.

Deep Bronze Green BS.24 

Mix: 6 x Humbrol 3 + 3 x Humbrol 10 + 1 x Humbrol 2. 

Tamiya: 8 x XF5 + 5 X XF63 satin over.

In use: 1934-39 then post-war from 1948.

Description:  Very dark yellow green – a rich black green.

On 13/06/2020 at 11:18, Sebastien said:

Would you know of a Gunze equivalent to this color?

see if they either of the FS 'matches'  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:40 PM, JosephLalor said:

My guess is that the closest will be 330 Dark Green.  As far as I know, and I await correction here, British ordnance is Deep Bronze Green, with Deep Saxe Blue on inert rounds.

That's Deep Saxe Blue on Practice rounds, not inert rounds. Practice does not mean inert!

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

That's Deep Saxe Blue on Practice rounds, not inert rounds. Practice does not mean inert!

Selwyn

Hi Selwyn, thanks for that.  Is that because practice rounds can still contain propellant even if expended, or can be explosive-filled, or both?

Edited by JosephLalor

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

Hi Selwyn, thanks for that.  Is that because practice rounds can still contain propellant even if expended, or can be explosive-filled, or both?

No, its that practice rounds can and do sometimes have explosive charges. Most small blue practice bombs have a smoke and flash charge, that shows the point of impact on the range. Load a gun with blue 20mm practice rounds, but I don't recommend that you stand in front of it when it fires!

The only way you will ever  know a munition is inert is when its clearly marked in big letters "INERT" or if a US munition "DUMMY."

Selwyn

• Thanks 2