1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ by Modelsvit - MIIIC & CJ released

Homebee

Well, after looking into my available sources a bit more, now I have issues with ALL the options as they appear in the illustration below.

Be warned, this is going to be a loooong post, but necessary to make my point clear and provide background for my assertions.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:51 AM, Homebee said:

179050-1.jpg

The first three options are taken from Mark Styling’s illustrations for Osprey’s “Israeli Mirage and Nesher Aces”, also available on his website, unfortunately with the same captions almost verbatim that contain mistakes. The fourth I didn’t see a specific profile but there are plenty of good quality pictures on the internet, like the one provided by @MiG-Mech above, to base the illustration on. The last option is taken from Jorge Núñez Padín monograph  “Dassault Mirage IIICJ and IIIEA”, number 7 on the Argentinian Air Force Series (Serie Fuerza Aérea Argentina Nro. 7); the caption is copied once again almost verbatim, with minimal translation and very confusing.

Option 1: Shahak 03 was one of four painted in the 2-gray air superiority scheme as used in Kfirs at the time. Styling's profile shows the badge of 253 "Negev"  Sqn. and states the year as 1981 in Eitam AB and that makes sense: by 1982 Eitam was no longer in use by IAF and remaining Shahaks has been transferred to 254 “Midland” Squadron at Hatzor AB until they were sold to Argentina.

Option 2: Shahak 58 was another IAF top scorer with 13 victories to its credit; by April 1974 it should have black and yellow recognition triangles on its tail and wings and no longer using “7” as prefix. There are pictures of the aircraft as illustrated, with 8 kill roundels and no recognition markings, but they are either dated May 1973 or during the initial days of the Yom Kippur war. BTW, the pilot surname was Salmon, not Salman.

Option 3: In my opinion,  but based on the sources I have been able to look into so far, the 101 Squadron badge is not correct; there is one picture that probably was the basis for the profile but is reproduced either without tail badge (censored) or with a tail badge and a crude attempt at censoring but leaving enough visible to discard 101 Sq. and very probably being the one from 117 Sqn., which would put the date between 1976 and 1979 which also tracks with “1” as prefix. There are no “candy cane” stripes on the rudder either, once again against the idea that it was a 101 Sqn. aircraft. Regarding the pilot, Shahak 07 was part of 101 Sqn. in 1973 when Yehudah Koren was the CO of 117 Sqn., so not very probable that he flew it at that time.

Option 4: The markings are as displayed in the IAF Museum at Hatzerim, a mix of Argentinian and Israeli ones (13 kill roundels and “159” on the tail). Is not an AAF aircraft, nor is representing one, and is not in historical IAF markings either.

Option 5: The caption for the profile in Núñez Padín book is:
“Dassault Mirage IIICJ C-704 (msn CJ-14), Escuadrón X del Grupo Aéreo 10 de Caza, Base Aérea Río Gallegos (Santa Cruz) 1986” (I added spaces not in the original to facilitate reading). 
My translation would be:
“Dassault Mirage IIICJ C-704 (Dassault production number CJ-14), X Squadron of Fighter Air Group 10, Argentinian Air Force. Rio Gallegos Air Base, Santa Cruz, Argentina, 1986”

@ModelSvit Balkans, in no way this is an attempt to diminish your work, quite the contrary; my idea is to help you and your people to make the best possible kit with the most accurate information. Of course I can't guarantee I am 100% correct in every detail, but this is my understanding at the moment and I welcome being proven wrong, since that would mean that have learned something new!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Release in late July - ref. 72062 - Dassault Mirage IIICJ Shahak

Sources: 

https://www.modelsvit-eshop.com/c/aviation-1/mirage-iiicj-shahak-interceptor-162

https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/posts/3001620273440337

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MSVIT72062

212927915-3001619770107054-8570784882811

MSVIT72062-3.jpg

10793785t.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ by Modelsvit - MIIIC & CJ released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ/O by Modelsvit - MIIIC & CJ released - MIIIO in September 2021

@ModelSvit Balkans please, please, add the RPK-10 or 17 fuel tank / bomb carrier to your future Mirage kits. Aftermarket options are almost impossible to get. I believe Brazilian Mirage III EBR, Mirage IIIO and Mirage 5 variants were all pictured using them at some point.

Edited by drake122
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Dassault Mirage IIIC/CJ by Modelsvit - MIIIC & CJ released
7 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Looks like a fine addition to the 1/72 Mirage III linup! 

CJ for me! Will model the great Israeli Ace Giora Epstein.

May I ask which one of the Shahaks he flew do you intend to model, and which decals are you planning to use? 

21 minutes ago, Fukuryu said:

May I ask which one of the Shahaks he flew do you intend to model, and which decals are you planning to use? 

No idea. I have 3 projects going currently. 

I was under the impression that the Greatest Ace in Israeli history would have aftermarket decals, or better yet, included in this release. 

12 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

No idea. I have 3 projects going currently. 

I was under the impression that the Greatest Ace in Israeli history would have aftermarket decals, or better yet, included in this release. 

You'd think, right? Not in this release for sure. Given also that he got his last 9 victories flying Neshers, and his 8 on Shahaks where split between at least six different aircrafts, perhaps that explain why nobody bother to offer a specific marking tied to him. He did fly Shahak "59" while on 101 Sqn. and got one victory with him, so you may cobble something together using different parts of the decal sheet. That would be a natural metal Atar 9B-engined aircraft, though.

Edited by Fukuryu
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...