AMT-4 Humbrol approximate?

Vlad

I have a La-5 on the bench and the instructions suggest Humbrol 30 for the green. I have a pot of this but to me it has a slight blue-ish cast so I'm not sure it's the best idea. I also have Humbrols 102, 116, 117 and 155 that all look like they might do the trick but I've seen interpretations of AMT-4 vary significantly. I use Humbrol 116 for RAF Dark Green, so if AMT-4 is close to this then I'd be happy with that. Any other recommendations?

Don't Colourcoats do an AMT-4?  Also a fairly full set of other VVS colours as you are unlikely to find good Humbrol matches for other colours, though as the second top colour is likely to be black that could be less of a problem!

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Don't Colourcoats do an AMT-4?  Also a fairly full set of other VVS colours as you are unlikely to find good Humbrol matches for other colours, though as the second top colour is likely to be black that could be less of a problem!

I forgot to mention this should be acrylic. That rules out Colourcoats.

It also rules out 150 forest green because that colour exists in Enamels only 🙄 150 seems to lean towards olive though, so 155 might be my closest then? Does ATM-4 lean towrads olive?

Oh, I also have some Revell Aqua colours, 360 Fern Green and 39 Dark Green.

As for the other colours, black is easy, and Humbrol 65 will do for the blue undersides.

Edited by Vlad

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Does ATM-4 lean towrads olive?

yes. 

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/color-table.html

this is a chunk of a MiG-3 in Finland

lagg3fuselage.jpg

there is a page here on greens

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/humbrol/greens.htm

The AMT-4 and A24m ant their glossy equivalents AGT-4 and A-24g were similar to 151 when new, and lightened becoming similar to 80.

Humbrol 151 is no longer made, 80 is pretty bright IMO.  I have some little pots of Humbrol, and AKAN AMT-4,  I'll have a look later.  You want a nearest out the pot colour, not a mix, right?  (I have IIRC 80, 115, 117 and 155...if i can find them) 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

yes. 

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/color-table.html

this is a chunk of a MiG-3 in Finland

lagg3fuselage.jpg

there is a page here on greens

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/humbrol/greens.htm

Humbrol 151 is no longer made, 80 is pretty bright IMO.  I have some little pots of Humbrol, and AKAN AMT-4,  I'll have a look later.  You want a nearest out the pot colour, not a mix, right?  (I have IIRC 80, 115, 117 and 155...if i can find them) 

Some interpretations, profiles and other models I've seen, show it very bright. Presumably these are just wrong, but they looked nice and I did use my Revell "Fern Green" on a Yak I built a while ago. It looks a bit comical and luminous, so I'm not happy with that.

I would like an out of the pot, I'm not looking for a perfect match but at least the closest I can get with my limited options. If it leans towards olive then it would be between 116 and 155 I expect. Humbrol calls 155 Olive Drab but I've used 116 as Olive Drab on a P-40 before and that looks good to me as well. If I can get 116 to be RAF Dark Green, US Olive Drab and AMT-4 it would make it one of my most versatile pots 😁

But on that piece of MiG the green looks quite light, or maybe it's time fading and the contrast with the black playing tricks.

Edited by Vlad

49 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

I think that it should be more yellowish than a mix of 116 and 117.

I'm with Massimo (from whom I've learned a great deal -- thanks!) on this. Olive, as in olive drab, generally implies a certain brown element, but AMT-4 as far as I understand it is more a yellow-green, almost a darkened version of US Interior Green. For my part, I totally go with AKAN, who, I think, doe an aqueous acrylic version although I prefer their acrylic lacquer. Mr. Color C-126 (Mitsubishi cockpit green) is a pretty close approximation, so if they do an equivalent shade in their Mr. Hobby line, that'd be a possibility as well.

2 hours ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

I am a bit surprised for the look of Humbrol 150 of Kari Lumppio. I made a chip with 150 yesterday and looks more 'grassy'. I wonder if the shade of Humbrol paints is the same between different stocks. 

Servus!

The picture is over 15 years old. Found it by accident when looking my Brewster stuff (see thread "Late Finnish Brewsrer 239 cockpit in "light grey" color?" ) in an external hard drive. Thought I had lost all of them.

Why "Forest Green" should look "grass"? There has been no easy local source for Humbrol for several years so I do not know if the colour Hu 150 has shifted.

Kari

PS My Humbrol 150 sample is enamel and painted over light grey primer. Solvent was pinene turpentine (Oulu A1)

Edited by Kari Lumppio

150 looks great but unfortunately as I said it does not exist in the Acrylic range, only enamel 🙄

OK, here's a little test I whipped up. I also added Humbrol 102 which I thought might look OK but I think now is too light. And Revell 39 as a possible option.

155 looks too brown, but 117 looks the most promising.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi, 

I've tried to obtain and collect chips of Soviet colors, including candidates for AMT-4. 

The comparison of Kari looks convincing, even if I would compare my chip of 150 with his one in reality to be sure that it's the same. Not that my one is right and his one is wrong, of course, but they could not be identical. The same for all other chips of course. 

Anyway 150 looks a good candidate. 

117 is missing from my chips because my can has died (no, not ended, Humbrol enamels never end in that way if you don't spill it), and all local modelling shops have no longer Humbrols. I tested it years ago and I found it a good match for the first version of AKAN paints (117 was a bit lighter, but those early AKANs were famous for their impression of darkness).

Interestingly, AK  chip RC-315 and AK-2242 are not well compatible each other, so they can't be taken as a reference. 

MRP-16 of this photo suffers from some ski reflection , it was semigloss so it appears different from other chips that were matt. 

A good reference is the chip of FS-34102 visible on the right.  (by the way, the page looks to end strangely because I have enlarged some parts of the photo to make the comparison easier).

By the way, the outsider acrylic Italeri 4807AP, Flat Russian Armour Green FS-34083 looks a good candidate, I found a small triangular space for it on the same plastic cap where I made a further test on Humbrols.

On the same plastic cap I found a central place for AK RC-315, but seems that it reacted strangely and became too light.  Who has experience with AK paints? I never utilized them by airbrush, but my tests with brush and toothpick were a disaster.

spacer.png

I have not a sure conclusion. The Italeri match looks reliable. For Humbrols, I would suggest 150, 151 or 226 that seem a good match, eventually darkened with a bit of black.

86, 117 and 159 could still be acceptable. 

I would consider 159 for a plane before 1937, eventually darkened with a bit of black, and 116 as 3B of metallic planes of 1936-37.

AII green could perhaps be matched with 151 or 226 with a bit more black.

What do you think  of this?

Regards

Massimo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Massimo Tessitori that's very helpful! Unfortunately, almost none of those colours are available in Humbrol Acrylics, only Enamel which I don't want to use.

But the best lead for me is 226. That is available in acrylics, but I don't own one. Shops are opening here next week I believe, so I might try to buy a pot of that to test alongside the others. If I can't get it, I will fall back on 117 I think.

Hi, 

I've tested some Humbrol acrylic small cans, those sold enclosed in the kits. I found that they have a bluish bonder that could affect the final shade. I wonder if acrylic 226 is the same shade of the enamel. Anyway it seems promising. 

Are Italeri colors sold there?

Regards

Massimo

45 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

Are Italeri colors sold there?

Only Humbrol and Revell Aqua. I would be happy to use Revell but their colour selection looks quite limited.

EDIT:

Perhaps Revell Aqua 361?

spacer.png

Edited by Vlad

So... I went to the shop and ended up buying both Humbrol 226 and Revell Aqua 361 for testing!

Below is my test patch again with these two colours added. Hu 226 looks very nice but unfortunately I only found the older style pots, so it has a bit of that "Humbrol issue" of separating easily and drying rough and grainy. Rev 361 is unsurprisingly a joy to paint and also looks good. In my opinion R361 looks closer the to photo of the MiG-3 part posted by @Troy Smith, but H226 looks closer to the chips posted by @Massimo Tessitori and @Kari Lumppio.

What do you guys think? Final verdict from these choices?

spacer.png

Hello guys,

I made some colour comparisons on the two MiG-3s (or what's left of them) here in Finland last summer. I used the excellent Natural Colour Standard (NCS) for these observations. Here are the "bright" green and light blue:

spacer.png

I would use Humbrol 150 or 159; at least for a starting point. I can't confirm whether this is the AMT-4 the OP asked about.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2