Paint Rack (Tamiya & Gunze PR002)

Mike

Paint Rack (Tamiya & Gunze PR002)

EBMA Hobby & Craft

boxtop.jpg

Paint storage becomes a necessity when you accumulate more than a few dozen tins/bottles/tubs, and wall racks are a great place to store them and retain complete visibility to the contents.  There are lots of brands on the market, and many of them use MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) or Perspex that is laser cut to shape and can be self-assembled, which is great for keeping shipping costs to a minimum.

EBMA have created their own line of racks, drawers and caddies from 6mm and 3mm MDF that are pre-cut ready for assembly.  This one holds 42 bottles of Tamiya, Gunze or similar sized brands in a small wall-mounted form factor of 305 x 305 x 70mm.  It arrives in a long narrow box that contains 15 parts, some of which are separated by card dividers for safety, with a small sheet of “instructions” completing the kit.  The speech-marks are there because the sheet refers you to the EBMA website where you’ll find complete colour instructions in PDF form, which does a little bit to help reduce consumption of our forests, on the basis that every little helps.  Your tablet, phone or screen are also less likely to blow away during construction.

parts.jpg

Construction is simple, and will require some PVA to glue the outer sections together, and having some clamps handy will be a boon for getting strong joints.  The joints will also be stronger if you use proper woodworking PVA glue, which can be sourced online easily and cheaply if you’re in need.  Don’t use your Klearfix, as it probably won’t have the necessary strength and is almost certain to be the most expensive way to put it together.  What were you thinking?

The end panels are slotted into the offset bottle rack parts, then two stiffeners are placed from top to bottom in the centre section, followed by adding the top and bottom panels, which are glued in, as are the two rear stiffeners that are fitted to the top and bottom of the back plane.  The top stiffeners have two key-hole shaped holes cut into them that accepts a pair of screws to allow you to fix the rack to the wall.  There is also a curved cut-out in the top rack part to allow adjustment of the screws if you should need to.  Don’t forget to let that glue cure fully before you load it up though, or you’ll be sad.

front.jpg

I tried Gunze and Tamiya pots in the rack and they fit great, as do Lifecolor pots, although there’s a wee bit more play around the pots.  Other brands such as AK’s Real Colors (sic (if you’re British)) should also fit perfectly and I can attest to that having done so, as you can see above.

back.jpg

The shot above shows the strengthening plates that also hold the rack square, as well as having holes for attachment to the wall.

Conclusion

These are well-designed paint racks are extremely space-friendly, assuming your modelling area has walls of course.  They are neat and will keep your paints tidy and visible, and at the price they’re selling them for they’re absolutely excellent value.  Get some – I’m going to be putting in an order for three or four more as soon as I can, as they’re so compact on the wall that you can put your whole paint stash out of harm’s way and free up some desk or drawer space for other things.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2020 at 18:39, Basosz said:

That looks really rather useful. Do you happen to know if there's a comparable system for Revell Aqua (The square ones) paints?

Not at the moment, I haven’t got my head around how to hold the square ones yet.  We’re developing a plain shelf version at the moment, so we could have a look at the Revell pots at the same time.  We do a version of the drawers for the Revell pots, 

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=103

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Not at the moment, I haven’t got my head around how to hold the square ones yet.  We’re developing a plain shelf version at the moment, so we could have a look at the Revell pots at the same time.  We do a version of the drawers for the Revell pots, https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=103

That drawer thing is not a bad idea. Thank you for the tip! I will consider it for when I'm modernizing my modelling bench. 

32 minutes ago, Basosz said:

That drawer thing is not a bad idea. Thank you for the tip! I will consider it for when I'm modernizing my modelling bench. 

We'll be reviewing the drawer system shortly, so keep your eyes peeled ;)

• Like 1

Just an idea, if you want to show what the colours are as shown in the above picture, at an angle for the Revell Aqua range. If you were to do the cut outs in a diamond shape 🔷 of the Aqua size it would show the lid of the paint and it would not fall out, because of the diamond cut. Not sure if l made myself clear.

Regards

Robert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Just an idea, if you want to show what the colours are as shown in the above picture, at an angle for the Revell Aqua range. If you were to do the cut outs in a diamond shape 🔷 of the Aqua size it would show the lid of the paint and it would not fall out, because of the diamond cut. Not sure if l made myself clear.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Perfectly clear thanks.  It's actually what I'd been thinking, just never got around to drawing it up, but thanks for writing it down.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, it won't look like that for long.  First model that hits the bench, the tools and paints will leave their designated areas and magically find new homes next to your unwary wrists, awaiting being knocked over...

• Haha 3

On 6/21/2020 at 6:59 PM, Chaotic Mike said:

awaiting being knocked over...

We have something for that .... BS 😉

(B ottle S tand)

Edited by Andy G
Expanding BS

I like these rack so much I've bought another three, which I'm putting together slowly over the next day or so, as I have only so many clamps :)

I've had issues with other brands of racks that have broken due to the weight (fortunately for me, something stopped it falling 2' to the floor), but this design has extra strength engineered in, thanks to the back plate where the wall screws fit.  It is glued to the top and two sides of the rack, and is also attached to the two supports that run down the middle of the back, each one of which also takes part in supporting the rows of paint.  That spreads all the combined weight of the paint around the rack, which has got to be good for its longevity.  I'll try and remember to post up a pic later ;)

• Like 2

Hello Andy, looking to the future l use Tamiya/Gunze, Xtracrylix and Vallejo so all different shape. Would you do a mixed paint rack ?

Regards

Robert

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Hello Andy, looking to the future l use Tamiya/Gunze, Xtracrylix and Vallejo so all different shape. Would you do a mixed paint rack ?

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately it is unlikely due to the different angles of the shelves required to accommodate the different shapes of the various bottles.  We can and have mixed and matched the tiered units and the drawers.

Actually, we may be able to do something ...

Somebody else has reported to me the diameter of the Xtracrylix bottles as being 29mm with a 55mm height.  This isn't a million miles from the Vallejo bottles, so that may be a possibility.  Mixing those with the Tamiya/Gunze bottles is a non-starter though.

Regards

Andy

I've been doing some development and test cutting of racks over the last few days as time permits and I think development of the Revell rack is complete though it will be a few weeks until production begins due to needing proper photographs of the unit.

The unit will hold twenty-seven bottles.

2020-06-25-17-16-58-001

2020-06-25-17-17-26-002

• Like 1

As promised, here's a quick phone-camera shot of my four racks assembled, hung and full of Gunze paints.  I think I'm gonna need another two for my Tamiya pots, as I didn't realise I had quite so many Gunze! :o

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I didn't realise I had quite so many Gunze!

That is the way this works. 

These are quite nice! I see that a nice feature of this rack is its ability to hold the occasional bottles with the much taller "ribbed" caps.

I don't have the wall-space for such an arrangement. I do have the space to keep "working" bottles in some stacking "ready" trays and the rest in airtight plastic boxen. It's quite surprising that a sealed bottle off-gasses slightly. Every time I retrieve a new bottle from a sealed storage box, I get a whiff of Mr Color.

40 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

These are quite nice! I see that a nice feature of this rack is its ability to hold the occasional bottles with the much taller "ribbed" caps.

Yes - well-spotted! :) The one in the bottom-right is just a glass jar of silicone oil, and those to the left are my three Games Workshop metallic shades.  There are two slots left, and the other missing paints were being used at the time by my 10 year-old who was doing a tiger-stripe camo scheme on his 1:72 Panzer III at the time.

42 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

It's quite surprising that a sealed bottle off-gasses slightly. Every time I retrieve a new bottle from a sealed storage box, I get a whiff of Mr Color.

I have a drawer of washes etc., and every time I open up the drawer I get a distinct whiff of enamel thinners from so-called airtight pots.  :shrug:

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 10:34 AM, Robert said:

Regards

Robert

The Revell Acrylic paint racks are now available - PR006 - Paint Rack Revell Acrylic

2020-07-31-12-11-10-004-600x600.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 21/06/2020 at 19:04, cmatthewbacon said:

And now my workbench looks like this:

after.jpg

Very easy to assemble, with a minimum amount of gluing... highly recommended.

best,

M.

I'm thinking of buying the same paint racks, but I (sadly) can't hang them on the wall for different reasons. How stable are they when standing on a table or window sill?

@Henrik Esping It’s my garage and the “window sill” is a pretty rough and ready bit of planed timber, so I screwed them in through the bottom panels to hold them in place. I think it would be risky having them completely free standing. You could use double sided tape underneath or fix a horizontal wooden batten across the inside of the window frame to take screws through the “hanging” points...

best,

M.

21 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

@Henrik Esping It’s my garage and the “window sill” is a pretty rough and ready bit of planed timber, so I screwed them in through the bottom panels to hold them in place. I think it would be risky having them completely free standing. You could use double sided tape underneath or fix a horizontal wooden batten across the inside of the window frame to take screws through the “hanging” points...

best,

M.

Thank you for the input regarding the paint racks! If I buy them I would have them on my desktop, but I suppose it's no big deal to screw them tight on my desk. It's a modellers desk, after all 🙂   I'm also planning on putting 2 racks on top of eachother, so I would have to come up with some fasteners for them anyway.

2 hours ago, Henrik Esping said:

I would have to come up with some fasteners for them anyway.

You're welcome @Henrik Esping Actually, what they use on the "system" racks that go around your desktop is blinking strong, but small, rare earth magnets to build your preferred configuration. Counter-sink and fix them into your desktop and the top and bottoms of the racks, and they'll grip very firmly and very neatly...

best,

M.