Vickers VIA Light Tank +++Finished.

Hi All, as my current build of the Marmon-Herrington Armoured Car goes home to wait for painting, it's time to start another lunchtime.

This time it's a 1/76 Vickers VI A/B/C Light Tank by JB Models, since released by Airfix. Because I want to build all the variants, I'll start this build as the 'A' version.

20200612-123709.jpg

Box art.

20200612-123816.jpg

Sprues.

20200612-124011.jpg

Instructions with understandable version differences

20200612-125406-1.jpg

The hull plastic parts are snipped off and cleaned up. The plastic is quite soft, so care needs to be taken with any clean-up procedure.

Before I rush into the build, I want to see how feasible it is to open hatches and stuff, so some crews can be fitted, in this case a driver but I'm sure that the turret will get the same treatment.

Stuart

• Like 11

Excellent choice - got a few of these in the stash but haven't built one yet.

Be following this with interest

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Eventually got something done and decided to go for it, at least with the drivers compartment.

20200617-130251-1.jpg

Drivers hatch was hacked out of the upper hull. Then, slowly but surely, an engine bulkhead was cut to size and fitted to the upper hull. Their will be a little detail added to this to make it a little less empty, particularly if I can't find a suitable driver figure. Just had time to measure and cut a bit of plastic that will go on to be the rear bulkhead and have access to the tank internals.

Stuart

• Like 6

A little bit further.

20200619-130341-1.jpg

Rear bulkhead added with its sliding door to main compartment. Various panels and channels added. Still more to do; levers, pedals, pipes and a seat but I need a driver before I can build that.

Stuart

• Like 8

Nice choice of subject. I built two of these a couple of years back and am building a third at the moment, although the current one is the S Model 1/72 version with some Dan Taylor Modelworks added detail.

Nice work on the interior.

Terry

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me sharing these Stuart. I managed to find this picture showing my two MB Mk VI's, and the S-Model Mk VI. The difference in the two scales (1/76 vs 1/72) is quite noticeable. 

20170818_113320

Really enjoyed my builds, but they are very small!

20190806_150159

Terry

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this little fella and the drivers compartment.

20200701-125755-1.jpg

Various levers fitted and a seat dry fitted. Need to paint this interior, so I can close up.

20200701-125839-1.jpg

And onto the turret, The kit hatch was ditched and an open hatch arrange fitted instead. Commanders position next.

Stuart

• Like 9

More steps forward.

20200706-125521-1.jpg

All the other bits added to the turret,

20200706-125355-1.jpg

Internals painted and washed with Nuln Oil. Seat secured in place. 

20200706-125808-1.jpg

All buttoned up. Need to tidy joins up before moving on.

Stuart

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Some great scratch building there. Especially considering the size of it! 

Cheers Steve. Once I've sorted the seams, I will need to start looking at the little details like towing/ lifting points, track guard supports, etc. The tools look rather 'pants', just wondering if 1/76 tool sets exist?

Stuart

• Like 1

Check out Friendship Models - he does all kinds of 1/76 sets in the Wee Friends range.

http://friendshipmodels.co.uk/epages/927b314c-3d48-4f6e-9263-90c86771b2e6.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/927b314c-3d48-4f6e-9263-90c86771b2e6/Categories/"1/72nd %26 1/76th scale"

Pretty sure he does a tool set

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

14 hours ago, badger said:

Pretty sure he does a tool set

They do indeed Ben, last page.

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

interior looks pretty neat

Cheers Terry. I was going to sit a driver in there but didn't have one suitable. More thinking on final setup.

Stuart 

• Like 2

Well, I've closed all of the hatches on my 1/48th Sherman, just so that I wouldn't have to do any internal work. But 1/72nd? I take my hat off to you (well, I would if I was wearing one). Neat work Stuart.

John.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Neat work Stuart

Cheers John, I do have my limits. I normally like to have 'a' hatch or door open.

Anyway, a visit to the LMS for a couple of pots of paint revealed a weakness...

20200704-113917.jpg

...do I need therapy?

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Lunctime update.

20200707-125746-1.jpg

RHS accessories fitted. Exhaust pipework were a little short so plastic rod was fitted for the pre-silencer and a little pipe added as exhaust. Track guard supports removed and will be replaced with scratch option, most likely thin brass.

20200707-125802-1.jpg

LHS. Track guard fitted without its supports that will be replaced with brass option.

20200707-125848-1.jpg

Track/wheel assy with suspension parts. Don't like the tracks but they are what they are. Do 1/76 replacement tracks for exist for this beastie...

Stuart 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Track/wheel assy with suspension parts. Don't like the tracks but they are what they are. Do 1/76 replacement tracks for exist for this beastie...

Stuart 

Only in 1/72 as vinyl ones from Ace. They are very nice though. Bought some to try and adapt them to fit to my kits as for $1 a throw I thought it was worth a try 

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Cheers John, I do have my limits. I normally like to have 'a' hatch or door open.

20200704-113917.jpg

...do I need therapy?

Stuart

No - you did buy the paint as well!! Be very interested to see the Scammels as they're on my wants list.

Ben

• Like 1

20200704-113917.jpg

...do I need therapy?

Stuart

Don't we all! Interesting selection there.........

The light tank proceeds apace. At this rate it'll be done soon! Must finish my S-model rendition. It's still in the midst of the paint shop process, but I get distracted sometimes, whilst waiting for certain aftermarket bits for the Vosper, this arrived .........

IMG20200705225534

I thought it might form my initial foray into an actual 1/350 build.

Terry

• Like 2

revealed a weakness...

...do I need therapy?

Blame it on the Big   Little Boys. Seems to be developing as a common cry from, well you know who 😉

Given what you're managing to do with these tiny tots...................................... Fill your boots I say

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Stuart you keep slying in these little builds that is why I keep missing them have you found a different calling or is it just a case of a change and a rest  😉

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badger said:

Scammels

They do look nice. IBG seem to do some nice Brit AFV's and softskins.

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

this arrived

I didn't know you done subs too!

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Big   Little Boys.

They get everywhere those tykes...

12 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

a case of a change and a rest

It's definitely that. These subjects can be 90% completed before a sniff of paint, handy for lunchtimes at work.

Stuart

• Like 1

14 hours ago, badger said:

vinyl ones from Ace

Have ordered a couple of sets(?). So, do I hack the tracks before they arrive or play safe...:hmmm:

While I wait for the tracks to arrive, I can still do the track guard supports, towing and lifting points, tools accessories, drivers hatch...bound to be other bits.

Stuart

• Like 1