Spitfire Mk Vb of Karel Jan Vykoukal - 1/72 Kovozavody Prostejov

I rather enjoyed building the KP kit of the Spitfire Mk Vb, and here is the finished product. Painted with a brush and Humbrol enamels, Humbrol clear before and after decals, watercolour wash then matt clear. I spent ages obsessing about which kit of the Spit MkV was accurate, fuelled by the various threads on Britmodeller which seem to condemn all of them in one way or another! I finally settled on this one as apparently quite accurate, and a short run kit which I quite enjoy. The fact that its from a Czech maker with decal options for Czech pilots was a great bonus as I have some Czech ancestry.

The funny thing is that after all my worrying about accuracy and details I've made three silly mistakes, which I invite the eagle eyed and Spitfire expert Britmodellers to point out. Bonus marks if you find some that have escaped my attention! I'll have to tell you about the first mistake because you won't see it with the cockpit shut. It's the crowbar... No, I didn't paint it red! Ha! I have been on Britmodeller! I know the instructions were wrong to suggest that! Ho ho! I painted it silver, then felt smug about my Spitfire expertise. Until I came to weather it and looked again at the reference photo included at the bottom... Karel didn't have a crowbar! Perhaps he used it to open a case of Czech beer and forgot to replace it... Anyway let me know what you think, good luck spotting the mistakes and by all means give constructive feedback. Thanks for looking!

tf8dwSY05h3E3JYrp83RGmm9I-O08fVFjWlLS5XB

Yo3EW7X914P9Sn-OBGG78elMtd4WFMnEDhAuMVBx

Lw-i3SvnX7Nx5GiOpqFmUvxrxPJQ6O5Z5bGglM6e

gGqIjNmZ5iaXbFHLNktp_U2xLPVZVOLod5oMBrAr

JMJCAG32VNvGdN6mTnuoT7TNwgYyBsIkmGHUqtaU

52D4xfcHBboTMIdxGNJN6TdXWAE-KISn0PGLqwPL

d3ac92561cfcc195f69d9872ea55f970.jpg

• Like 25

Port wing walkway lines and there should be no external aerial, can’t see the third yet.

Nicely built model; I really like the KP kit.

2 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Port wing walkway lines and there should be no external aerial, can’t see the third yet.

Nicely built model; I really like the KP kit.

Hahaha I hadn't noticed either of these! The kit painting diagram indicated both aerial and RFF wires, but you are correct because the aerial isn't in the photo. The third was the crowbar. So there remain two errors - and I expect many more! Keep them coming folks!

• Like 1

That's a lovely-looking model.  I spotted the aerial but don't know enough to spot your other "mistakes".  In any case, who cares?!  It's an interesting model, it looks good and let's be fair, is it possible to get one 100% "right"?  If so I'm a long way from achieving that.

I am happy with it! I did the blades and wheels as per kit instructions, didn't think there was an issue there but could be wrong. The landing gear is "askew" slightly but that isn't it. Two errors remain to be found!

If you look on the real aircraft, the blades narrow towards the spinner, I think being the earlier type. The blade on your model is wider ( made of wood?). 

anyway, I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been trying to win your challenge! Great model.

Nice Spitfire. As for your mistake the only one I can see is that you have two 'knockout panels' on the canopy. But there was only one on the port side. 

Also possibly that you've put metal chips on what was a wooden propeller blade?

Edited by noelh

2 hours ago, noelh said:

Nice Spitfire. As for your mistake the only one I can see is that you have two 'knockout panels' on the canopy.

One down, one to go!

But yes, metal chips on a wooden propeller is also rather silly!

• Like 1

Very nice build but still you can correct the u/c angles to make it perfect!

If I may suggest, you can softer the wheel axes (and top of u/c legs) and turn them to get right angle using locally applied Tamiya low viscosity glue.

Because from front Spit has almost vertical u/c legs and wheels are at  slight negative angle (like on photo below) to the ground. So some 30 degree corrections needed for wheels, and maybe 15 degree for legs..

RAF-in-Combat.com_Spitfire-XII-04-300x20

Please check on other photos, the best are hose made with long lenses giving angle conservation perspective (maybe better that those photo pasted here) 

Still, the model, especially the painting work and finish  is great ")

Regards

J-W

Ok, I'll put you out of your misery with the final error that I spotted. Look at the stabilisers. Upside down! Silly me.

Thanks everyone for advice and tips, I've learned a lot! Lesson 1. Spitfires get more attention on Britmodeller than wierd Russian planes. Lesson 2. Spitfires get much more specific critique! I'll try to get some tamiya glue and adjust the legs, I think I'll have to do all my other spits too! I've got more spitfires to make, and have this horrible feeling I might try to make one of every major mark... Perhaps by the end of it I'll be getting them right! :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aces High said:

Ok, I'll put you out of your misery with the final error that I spotted. Look at the stabilisers. Upside down! Silly me.

Thanks everyone for advice and tips, I've learned a lot! Lesson 1. Spitfires get more attention on Britmodeller than wierd Russian planes. Lesson 2. Spitfires get much more specific critique! I'll try to get some tamiya glue and adjust the legs, I think I'll have to do all my other spits too! I've got more spitfires to make, and have this horrible feeling I might try to make one of every major mark... Perhaps by the end of it I'll be getting them right! :D

Oh no i thought that  but it was so obvious. I  would say that of  course. Really I should have known because I did exactly the same  thing in a Spitfire and a corsair. I'm a total idiot. 

But the great thing is that you see the faults Every model is a learning curve. 

Shortly you  will see my  first ready for  inspection finished model on Britmodeller. 

Please  don't laugh.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:46 AM, Aces High said:

1. Spitfires get more attention on Britmodeller than wierd Russian planes. Lesson 2. Spitfires get much more specific critique!

Yeh, the Spitfire model is a canonical work. Great, that heretics are not burned now... :)

Regards

J-W