Spitfire MkI parts identification

LIZARD87

Hello

I wonder if someone could identify some parts of the Mk I Spitfire for me:

What are the large rectangular panels facing out at the lower front of the engine compartment?

What is the small brightly coloured ring/disc in the centre of the control box located in the middle of the side of the engine?

Please excuse my ignorance and accept my thanks in anticipation,

Chris

Hi Gingerbob - thanks so much for getting back so promptly. Please forgive my uploading skills - I am a newbie! I hope you can see the photo. The large rectangular panel is below the leading exhaust stack just behind and below the glycol tank. The small disc is to the rear of the panel and below the centre of the middle exhaust stack. It looks like a white dot on this photo.

Thanks again for you help!

spacer.png

2 hours ago, LIZARD87 said:

I hope you can see the photo.

Yep, I can, thanks- it is a little small, but did the job- now I know what you're talking about.  I ought to be able to answer the question(s), but first attempt was a failure.  I'll report back later on.

Neither thing seems to be covered by the engine manual, so they're no doubt part of the engine/airframe installation.  Somewhat educated (?) guess: the "box" might be something to do with ignition, and the other thing maybe crankcase vent/breather?

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Hi alt-92 and Gingerbob,

Thanks for going to trouble; I've done as much research as I can in my book and document collection and online but can't seem to get any further with this one...

Hello

On Merlin 63 the disc is part of oil thermometer and oil pressure gauge assembly. I am not certain how things work on Merlin III, but the part on your photo looks very similar to the one on 63 and is also located at about the same position. I have no idea about that box behind glycol tank, though. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Hmmm. When zooming in to the photo, it appears to have two rows of six circles, with a number in each. Given that the Merlin is a V-12, I'd hazard a guess that this is not part of the engine installation or airframe, but some sort of maintenance aid or placard. Perhaps the results of a cylinder compression check?

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Like 1