Albatros (OEF) seatbelts/harness

Bob C.

I am working on the 1/72 Encore (Roden) Albatros (OEF) 253.  Am about ready to close up the fuselage, finally, but want to do the seat harness properly.  I have the kit's PE, and PART PE, both of which have lap belts and a shoulder harness.  But my references, for what they're worth as far as the interior goes, don't really show a shoulder harness.  References are the NASM book, Datafile #19, Guideline/Warpaint #122, and JaPo Alb D. II/D. III Oeffag.  Can anyone give me a definitive picture (even in words) of the Oeffag Alb seat harness arrangement?

Thanks, 

Bob C

Hi Bob,if you go onto Eduards web site and look at their Albatros (OEF) 253 instructions,it should give you some details.The kit is 48th scale and the etched belts/harness are pre coloured but that shouldn't really be a problem.All the best with it.

Dave.

• Like 1

Dave, 

Thanks for that idea.  I had thought of WNW site (which do not have an OEF D III), but not the Eduard.  Unfortunately, this didn't pan out.  The Eduard instr. show the shoulder harness anchor ends draped over the back of the seat, which I'm pretty sure is not correct.  I did manage to find a post from Dan San Abbott on Aerodrome which explained (not specifically for OEF Alb) that the shoulder harness was anchored to the aircraft's frame system.  So I am going with the not-entirely-satisfactory diagram in the WNW site, showing the anchor ends attached to (I assume) something behind the rear bulkhead.

Here is a link to the Eduard OEF Alb, which has a link to the instructions, FWIW -- some really great color markings which I now have for future reference.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/du-doch-nicht!!-1-48.html?cur=2

• Like 1

Hi Bob,also have a look on the Hyperscale site,Bruce Salmon builds the Roden D.III in 32nd scale.He shows the frame attachment points in his build.Sorry can't provide link for some technodinosaur reason lol!

Dave.

• Like 1

OK, Didn't quite make it to bed yet -- had to look for that Hyperscale article.  

And found it.  It looks like this arrangement makes more sense than the WNW depiction, the shoulder harness being attached more towards the top of the seat than in the middle, as depicted by WNW.

Unfortunately, I already glued the shoulder harness based on the WNW depiction, and don't want to fool around with it.

We'll just say that OEF did it one way, and OAW (?) did it another way.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bob C. said:

OK, Didn't quite make it to bed yet -- had to look for that Hyperscale article.  

And found it.  It looks like this arrangement makes more sense than the WNW depiction, the shoulder harness being attached more towards the top of the seat than in the middle, as depicted by WNW.

Unfortunately, I already glued the shoulder harness based on the WNW depiction, and don't want to fool around with it.

We'll just say that OEF did it one way, and OAW (?) did it another way.   

Too late to the party again, but that's more likely than you think. The nature of Oeffag seat harnesse was different, and as you noted originally, no shoulder harmess,. Have you seen this - a repro, but as authentic as possible:

http://www.wwi-models.org/app/album/Acn.php?base=%2FPhotos%2FGer%2FAlb_DIII_OFFAG&hdr=Albatros+D.III+OFFAG&picInx=8

http://www.wwi-models.org/app/album/Acn.php?base=%2FPhotos%2FGer%2FAlb_DIII_OFFAG&hdr=Albatros+D.III+OFFAG&picInx=7

Being based on research for the Vintage Aviator reproduction Albatrosses, the WnW kits are accurate for the type they represent, and the same goes for Koloman Mayrhofer's work. Normaly I wouldn't trust a modern repro over period photos but these lads have done their homework as far as I can see. ALso note, from the other wwi-models photos, how the Eduard wing representation is pants, as usual (enormously exagerrated rib stations).

Too late to help you now, but if you ever do another..............

Paul.

• Like 2