Saro Lerwick detail parts sought

Heather Kay

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The F4U-1 Corsair had 13' 4" props, but would have to check to see if the direction of rotation is the same.

Mike

The Corsair engine rotated the wrong way, as did all US-built engines.

Chris

• Thanks 1

You do realize that once the info is gathered, necessary parts collected and construction begun, Airfix will release a Lerwick ... so please hurry up with this one🙂

Cheers

Colin

• Haha 5

On 1/19/2021 at 10:07 AM, ckw said:

You do realize that once the info is gathered, necessary parts collected and construction begun, Airfix will release a Lerwick ... so please hurry up with this one🙂

Cheers

Colin

It would be not the worst case (for all)!  Exactly this happened already to me with Lancaster Mk II and Northrop Delta...(SM , not Airfix, but anyway) 

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 3:07 AM, ckw said:

Airfix will release a Lerwick

Nah- it would be Valom, more than likely; I mean if they could do a Twin Pin and a Bombay.....:giggle:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:07 AM, ckw said:

Cheers

Colin

ok, i'll say that i'll have 21 of them now...

• Confused 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, 72modeler said:

Nah- it would be Valom, more than likely; I mean if they could do a Twin Pin and a Harrow.....:giggle:

Mike

Valom can do this... The Albemarle, Bombay. Whitley - not only Harrow! (BTW - what do you name "Twin Pin"? I am trying to figure out but I fail...) There is a serious risk ;) But   - no risk no fun! I started scratch work  yesterday (ended an hour after midnight) and today evening I go further... We will see how it will turn out.  So far I work on fuselage.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

The Wellesley seems to have  right diameter of prop and a spare one is in every box of Matchbox/Revell kit. Tho be fair - one is thought for record breaker machine with larger prop hub, the another for regular Wellesley... So in most cases the large hub one is what left as spare in your spare parts box :(

wellesley-oob-002.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

As Heather said- Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer. See the attached links for photos and a website that has many civil Twin Pin photos. (We now return you to the original forum discussion!) :sorry:

Mike

https://westcoasthobbys.com/product/val72138-sa-twin-pioneer-raf

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8545309

https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/twin-pioneer/twinpioneer.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JWM said:

@Heather Kay - the next with proper props diameter is Bristol Bombay  - to costly perhaps as donor, but suitable for copying...

In the past, we could have found such things as cast metal or resin aftermarket. I rather think, as 3D print matures for home use, some enterprising modeller could develop props, and even engines and cowlings, for all manner of upgrade parts.

Don't look in my direction. I’m an utter dunce when it comes to such technology, I’m afraid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

In the past, we could have found such things as cast metal or resin aftermarket. I rather think, as 3D print matures for home use, some enterprising modeller could develop props, and even engines and cowlings, for all manner of upgrade parts.

I think it happens already - I amen the aftermarket in 3D parts I starting, I've seen for example the lattice for Bell 47 helicopter as a 3D print...For props it is still not that fine.

I will try traditional resin copy

Regards

J-W

I think the fidelity is starting to get there in "domestic level" printers, like the Elegoo machines. There’s a thread on CAD creating and printing an accurate Sea Vixen at 1/72nd scale - and that is looking very fine in places. I would think that particular 3D print system would be quite capable of fine propeller blades with hub detail.

If only I were a few decades younger and able to pitch into such technology. My brain cell is a bit too set in its ways to learn 3D CAD.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I think the fidelity is starting to get there in "domestic level" printers, like the Elegoo machines. There’s a thread on CAD creating and printing an accurate Sea Vixen at 1/72nd scale - and that is looking very fine in places. I would think that particular 3D print system would be quite capable of fine propeller blades with hub detail.

If only I were a few decades younger and able to pitch into such technology. My brain cell is a bit too set in its ways to learn 3D CAD.

Thank you for info, I will look around, perhaps speak with my son about it...He has already some experience in both CAD and 3D printing.  The software became more user friendly, hope that with time s the CAD drawings will be available as aftermarket stuff and it  will be only a need for running the device

• Like 1

@Heather Kay and @JWM,

I agree with your comments regarding 3D printing, especially as it pertains to propellers- it seems almost none of the kit makers get props right; either the hubs are underscale or lack detailing, or the prop blades are either too thick or thin in chord. For your Lerwick project, Heather, maybe if you know someone who has either the Valom Bombay or Harrow kit, you could make an impression of  the hub and one prop blade, then cast as many resin copies as you need to get six blades- you would also have extra hubs. I have the Bombay kit, so will have to check out the props and see what the hubs look like. I hope you get back to your flying boat, as it was a very distinctive-looking seaplane...but that fuselage was soooo close-coupled! Stay safe, both of you!  😷

Mike

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

For your Lerwick project, Heather, maybe if you know someone who has either the Valom Bombay or Harrow kit, you could make an impression of  the hub and one prop blade

I have both in the stash. I’ll consider the option of making copies. :like:

• Like 1