Captured Messerschmitt Me 262A-1A/U3

Immediately after the end of hostilities in Europe, the allied powers scoured Germany for the remnants of their advanced technology. The American's set up 'Project LUSTY, which stood for LUftwaffe Secert TechnologY. Col Harold E Watson, a qualified test pilot was selected to head the mission. He picked a number of pilots, all combat veteran's and all Thunderbolt pilots, experienced ground crew, both American and German along with several experienced German pilots. He also carried a signed pass by Dwight D Eisenhower, stating that no senior officer or military police could impede him in his work. 

Two teams formed, one went after the piston engine aircraft, the other, jets. It was the jet pilots who were named the 'Watson's Wizzers' and adopted the squadron embalm of Donald Duck flying around the Earth on a Juno 004 engine. Me 262A-1a/U3 'White 30' was captured at Lechfeld. It was named Marge by the 54th ADS, and then Lady Jess IV while with the Wizzers with the aircraft being the mount of Captain Kenneth Dahlstrom. Declared surplus, it was transferred to the US Navy and designated 121443. State side, the aircraft was turned over to the Tactical Test Division at NAS Patuxent River where she was made airworthy and attempted to be flown on November 7th 1945. Failing to become airborne, it crashed into trees at the end of the runway and was subsequently written off. Because of this accident, no further attempts to fly Me 262's was made by the TTD.

This is the 1/48 Dragon kit, which is the reboxing of the 1990's Trimaster kit, but this did not include any photo etch parts. The molds are still holding up well although there was some cleaning up of the lower wing required. These kits are well detailed but do require some work with the engine nacelles being a well known tricky part of this model. Test fit everything before committing glue and you shouldn't have too many problems. Decals come from Cutting Edge's Crossdressing Stormbirds and the seatbelts from Lions Roar. 

oNt1sCO.jpg

7aAsV15.jpg

nyuyssU.jpg

D7KUiVd.jpg

M29EvJx.jpg

FjARPv1.jpg

• Like 36

Excellent!  That's a neat build and the camo job is so cool!   :clap2:

For those interested in more information about "Project LUSTY" and the characters involved, as well as good info on the aircrafts' development, I can recommend "Watson's Whizzers" by Wolfgang W.E. Samuel.   My daughter-in-law brought home a copy for me after visiting the Air&Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

"Watson's Whizzers"

• Like 1

Wow, that’s some airbrush work, really tight and solid. Great looking 262. I still two reboxes of the original Trimaster kit, one from Dragon and the other from Revell. Still worth building them obviously 

• Like 1

Oh does that every scratch an itch!  I love captured aircraft, even if they are wearing stars and bars instead of roundels.  Lovely build of a fascinating subject.  Congrats on the camouflage, which looks daunting.

• Like 1