Aurora 'The Mummy' plastic model kit - New project

8 hours ago, GerryW said:

Next suggestion. Have you considered Tamiya masking tape? I've read that some members use it for safety harness fabric in Aircraft.

I actually have several different types of masking tape, good idea, me thinks a side by side test is coming up 🙌

On 7/14/2020 at 12:44 PM, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

any suggestions for removing the paint from the head and hand without damaging the plastic

I've always used aerosol oven cleaner, and always had good results. Sometimes I've had to give it a second spray but it really gets the paint off quickly.

For bandages - have you tried kitchen roll?   If you can get plain untextured kitchen roll, they are normally plied, so you can peel the ply's apart to get thinner sheets.  Don't use toilet roll - that is designed to  break up quickly in water. Kitchen roll is designed to absorb moisture and not break up.

If there is a texture to it, you could try soaking it in water then clamping it between two flat surfaces while drying to remove the texture.  Cut into  thin strips, and paint it with diluted PVA when wrapping old Boris and the PVA will help the bandages stick to the model, and retain their shape. Once dry you can paint it with any standard paint.

Tissues like Kleenex may work - if you can work fast enough and get things in place before they start to break up - again, use diluted PVA to stick/shape the bandages

OK, I did a little test tonight and I'm pretty happy with the results. I did a side by side comparison with an old linen bed sheet we use for decorating so won't be an issue cutting that up, then the bandage from yesterday's test and then the suggestion of using some masking tape...

IMG_20200715_233317

I then put a based coat of XF-52 Flat Earth across all 3 of them...

IMG_20200715_234132

Safe to say I think the bed linen works for me so I had a bit of fun and quickly dry brushed XF-59 Dessert Yellow, then some XF-15 Flat Flesh and then a final pass with some XF-1 Flat Black. Quite happy with the end result, works for me  😃

IMG_20200715_234701

Edited by UKmodeller-Reborn
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

Safe to say I think the bed linen works for me so I had a bit of fun and quickly dry brushed XF-59 Dessert Yellow, then some XF-15 Flat Flesh and then a final pass with some XF01 Flat Black. Quite happy with the end result, works for me  😃

Looks really good, congratulations.

I assume that you will not be taking an advanced First-Aid course to learn how to apply bandages correctly without restricting the blood and air supplies of the patient. :lol:

1 hour ago, GerryW said:

Looks really good, congratulations.

I assume that you will not be taking an advanced First-Aid course to learn how to apply bandages correctly without restricting the blood and air supplies of the patient. :lol:

😂😂 well he's dead already, isn't he?

• 2 weeks later...

Started to work on the main model the other night, cutting up the arms to realign them into a different pose to how the standard kit has them in. This is the look I'm going for based on a still from BTS of the original film...

347e9dd1554701672a1457ef53a5c769

This is where I am so far, I need to add more modelling clay to the shoulders before I start to sand it all down...

IMG_20200731_152548

I have also cut up the head a little too. Firstly I drilled out his nostrils and also filed out the flat ear moulds...

IMG_20200729_231843

I then attempted to mould the ear to look a little more realistic, not bad for my first ever attempt of modelling with clay. I think once it's all sanded and painted it will look nicer than the featureless moulding of the standard kit.

IMG_20200730_230023

Another view of the nostrils now they are opened up

IMG_20200730_230032

Of course when it comes to my paint job, the eye will be looking far left as in the black and white pic above 😊

• Like 5

OK, first coat for the base is on and it will allow me to spot more easily any areas that I feel need to be worked on a little more before I begin the interesting task of covering him in bandages.

IMG_20200808_020804

IMG_20200808_020819

IMG_20200808_021016

I'm happy with the overall pose, having repositioned both arms and also bent his fingers too on his left hand although I think his little finger needs to be tweaked slightly. Of course he doesn't need to look perfect  as the bandages will hide any sins from this stage. I still need to reattach his feet. I will be keeping the pose of his legs but I will be placing him on a very different base to the kit. That's still in my head but I think I know what I will be doing with that and I have had an idea that will appear at the very end of the project that I think will give this model an extra dimension and a nod back to the original film 😁

So just a few more bits need filling in more around the neck and on his wrists and when I attached the feet. Regards to the bandages, I'm actually going to dip them all on a diluted PVC solution which I think is going to help with the overall application of the fabric. It's going to get messy but I think the final look will be so worth it. 

Edited by UKmodeller-Reborn
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

It's going to get messy

I have read that this was indeed the case when getting Mummies prepared, but I suppose that after drilling out nostrils, filing ears and cutting off and reattaching assorted limbs that you're getting quite used to this sort of work. :hmmm: :wicked: :analintruder:

Gerry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started the wrapping of the bandages this evening. Soaked the cloth strips in a 50/50 watered down solution of PVA/water to aid the adhesion of the strips to the model.

IMG_20200817_234030

Quite a few strands but will see how they all look once complete as it may just add to the rough and aged look once painted.

IMG_20200817_234103

IMG_20200817_234120

Added a few knots in the bandages and again I may trim them a little more once complete. Let's see what it looks like once painted.

• Like 10

Love the Aurora Mummy kit,got two built up ,and a glow in the dark boxed version waiting a make-over,your bandage solution looks great,the figure was indeed based on Lon Chaney Jr,as the Mummy,as seen in your picture above.

• Like 1

Spent a little while this evening adding more bandages, just the feet to finish off now. Once the feet have been covered and it's all set hard, I will clean up some of the loose bits, trimming them back a little where applicable and I can also see some small tweaks required for some of the ends of the bandage that wrap around his lower front but overall as this is the first time I've done anything like this, I'm happy with the results. So feet to do, trim and then painting and colour washes to apply. Then I can start constructing a new base to display him.

IMG_20200824_232828

• Like 7

OK, all finished with the bandages now. Trimmed and cleaned up some of the loose bits and I'm really happy with the overall look.

IMG_20200827_133429

IMG_20200827_133443

Right now to the painting and then colour washes over the whole model. I'm thinking of sticking with the colour washes/weathering I did on the sample piece in this thread but the head and hand I think I will actually go with a slightly darker wash to help distinguish between the bandages.

IMG_20200827_133532

• Like 8

• 2 years later...

It's been a long time since I posted! various things got in the way but looking to get back to working on this model in due course so watch this space for new updates. Got a new account so fingers crossed I can get this model finished 🙏

So I've dug it out and this was the last time I worked on it. First base colour applied. Need to touch up some of the areas where the green fabric is still showing and then I can do the colour wash as per my test pieces before looking to add more detail to the exposed skin on the hand and face.

mummy1

Edited by UK-Modeller-Reborn
  • Like 6

Gone over it this afternoon with the base again, to hide all the remaining green spots showing through.

IMG_20230803_180311

Ready for the two colour washes to be added as per my original test piece. Looking forward to finally get the figure finished so I can plan the base.

IMG_20230803_180326

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Cool, it's good to see these come back from the shelf of doom. I like where this one is going, will you be lighting it, a small side table with a lamp on it might add some moody HH lighting. 

The idea in my head is to build a base that will have lighting hidden behind some of the stonework I plan on creating. It will be lit with some green LEDs from the bottom. A nod to the fact the Mummy movie posters featuring Karloff always seemed to have a green tone to them. I think also green gives off a nice 'dead' vibe too 😊

• Like 1

Given The Mummy several colour washes this evening and even added some green to give it more of a rotten feel to it. The paint finish is far too shiny but I've ordered some new weathering sets that hopefully will pull back the shiny finish and also blend all the colours in. Going for a couple of sand colours to weather/blend it all together.

IMG_20230805_022106

First pass also for the eye. I think the white needs to be knocked back a little and may close up the lower half of the eye by painting back in some of the lower lid but we'll see after I've weathered it all a little more. Overall happy with it at the moment, it's just all too shiny but that'll be fixed soon.

IMG_20230805_022139

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Received a little LED strip powered by a couple of button batteries. This will be installed into the base that I will start work on shortly.

IMG_20230815_182418

The LEDs are so bright I might actually only need one of them, or I may position it into the base in such a way that we get two light sources shining up, while hiding the other LEDs. Hopefully you can see the kind of effect I'm going for below...

IMG_20230815_182346

I also have some weathering powders now but I will wait until the base is made and painted and then weather him up at the same time as I do the weather on the base to blend the two together well. The plan for the base is going to be some large stone wall behind with with broken slabs around him. Still in two minds if it will work to have some Egyptian hieroglyphs integrated somewhere on the base... Watch this space

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It's such an impressive result you have achieved. Earlier you ditched the supplied snake as it looked a bit tacky. So perhaps now to add interest to the base he could be standing amid the remains of smashed funerary items or canopic jars or splintered sarcophagus wood. These could be painted in rich colours, faded (or not, depending on whether Ra's sunlight had ever aged them), showing he was important enough to expend costly pigments on. I assume the movie features "Egyptian" objects which you could adapt as inspiration for your base.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2023 at 00:59, Peter2 said:

It's such an impressive result you have achieved. Earlier you ditched the supplied snake as it looked a bit tacky. So perhaps now to add interest to the base he could be standing amid the remains of smashed funerary items or canopic jars or splintered sarcophagus wood. These could be painted in rich colours, faded (or not, depending on whether Ra's sunlight had ever aged them), showing he was important enough to expend costly pigments on. I assume the movie features "Egyptian" objects which you could adapt as inspiration for your base.

Evening, my plan is indeed to create a bespoke plinth for him to be standing on. I've ordered all the materials to create an Egyptian inspired base, just need to find some time this Autumn/Winter to kick start the build of the base. 

• Like 1