Aurora 'The Mummy' plastic model kit - New project

I've just purchased an old pre-built and painted 'The Mummy' model off eBay as my next project once I've finished building the UGEARS wooden kit here

'The Mummy' kit was one of the very first models I ever built as a child in the 70's and now that I'm getting my modelling mojo back, I wanted to recreate the model but with a more modern and detailed approach to model making. I never liked the cobra so that's not staying and I wanted to create my own mini diorama for him to be placed on, plus I've taken the decision to wrap him up in real bandages! So if anyone has any suggestions for suitable scale like material that can be used to create bandages, then I'd love to hear from you.

Will post some pictures as soon as the model arrives. Thankfully the pictures on eBay seem to show it's all there in one piece albeit with a dodgy paint job but that's not a problem for me as that'll be sorted in the new build.

Looking forward to how this one pans out  😊😎👻

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the photos. I build a whole collection of Aurora figures in the late 60's, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Werewolf, The Hunchback, The Phantom of the Opera and even Jesse James. Great kits in their day and I loved the included bases at the time.

I remember seeing an original unbuilt Hunchback kit not too long ago being offered for sale at over $200.00 :yikes:

Gerry

OK, so the model arrived off eBay, it's already built and painted but that's fine. It's the basis for the revamp and I have a mood board below that gives an insight into what I maybe doing with this model...

mood-board

Sourced some landscape pics from the web as inspiration to scratch build some additional ruin pieces for a new diorama. Those who know the kit will know there is a snake on the base. Well that's going in my revamped version and I also want to change the pose and love this old PR shot of the actor getting made up. I like the one with both his arms crossed and I'm thinking of creating that pose. In terms of the colour, I saw this large scale bust on my Google search for inspiration and just love the tonal colours and weathering of the wraps around his neck. So I'm going to try and use that as my colour guide.

Edited by UKmodeller-Reborn
  • Like 3

Here's what I purchased off eBay. All there but I will be doing a completely new diorama base, the snake, which to me looks a little tacky is not staying either. I may use the ruin pieces from the original base, but still not sure. As mentioned above, the pose will be different to the kit, so lots of work in remodelling the pose. 

What I really need to find is some material for all the bandages which I want to recreate in fabric so that this will be a mixed media model. There are more loose wraps in the various PR shots from the original film that I ave sourced so won't be using the parts from the kit.

IMG_20200613_234014

More photos here :  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNP3cKW

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GerryW said:

Looking forward to seeing the photos. I build a whole collection of Aurora figures in the late 60's, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Werewolf, The Hunchback, The Phantom of the Opera and even Jesse James. Great kits in their day and I loved the included bases at the time.

I remember seeing an original unbuilt Hunchback kit not too long ago being offered for sale at over $200.00 :yikes:

Gerry

Original unboxed kits are going for silly money online. Because I plan to revamp it, I was happy getting one already built and ready to give it a new lease of life :)

Just need to source some fabric that will look like bandages once wrapped around and then painted. Some testing first is in order...

8 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

give it a new lease of life

Definitely something that any self respecting Mummy could do with, and that your chap is in serious need of.  :analintruder:

Regarding cloth, have you considered sail cloth for model ships? It may just be thin and strong enough for the job.

Gerry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

Know of any good model ship retailers?

Sorry that I can't really offer any help with retailers in the UK, as I live in Germany. However if you ask the question in the General Maritime section I'm quite sure that some helpful ship building members will assist you.

Gerry

5 hours ago, GerryW said:

Sorry that I can't really offer any help with retailers in the UK.

No worries, I did a bit of digging around and found a source on eBay. I've already spoken to them about my requirements and they've recommended a suitable soft cloth used in modelling so going to get a piece and test it out to see how well it takes being painted and weathered too 😊

Looking forward to this as I've never used cloth in model making and it's another skill to test out before the Airfix 1:12th scale Bentley arrives as I plan to use fabric on that one too.

• Like 2

Very happy to read that you are having some success with your venture. I'll be watching progress from the side-lines if you don't mind. :popcorn:

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful idea, takes me back to the days when I would study Aurora catalogs for hours. I may still have one or two of them somewhere.

For the bandages, perhaps you could try cigarette paper cut into fine strips? You can't get much thinner stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2020 at 22:39, Jur said:

Wonderful idea, takes me back to the days when I would study Aurora catalogs for hours. I may still have one or two of them somewhere.

For the bandages, perhaps you could try cigarette paper cut into fine strips? You can't get much thinner stuff.

Interesting idea but I want to give it a weathered look and think any paint would simply destroy the paper.

OK, so I thought I've gone to the trouble of buying some material off ebay, I might as well try it out. So I carefully removed one of the arms

IMG_20200714_020729

I cut a strip of the material and as I thought, it's way too thick and and if I wrapped him up in this he will gain about 10 stone in weight visually 😂

IMG_20200714_021851

Then I had a thought... As strange as it may seem I thought I'd have a look in our first aid box and see if a real bandage might actually look OK. I had two options, firstly this tube bandage normally used to dress fingers or toes...

IMG_20200714_021427

The only issue I had was it just wants to roll up into itself so you almost end up with tubes as you wrap it around, and although better that the model sail fabric above, it again looks too large on the arm...

IMG_20200714_021651

IMG_20200714_021704

I then found this ultra light weight bandage at the bottom of our first aid box...

IMG_20200714_020755

Cut a thin strip of it...

IMG_20200714_020915

...and you know what, I think this might just actually work. What do you think?

IMG_20200714_021049

Obviously this is just a test and I've not prepared the model yet. The model will get a complete new base coat and potentially smoothing off of the high spots of the moulded bandages, just look at the hand too, that needs serious cleaning up of the mould edging. But I reckon this will actually work and after taking it off it very quickly creates it's own frayed edges so I think after all this time looking for a material to replicate a bandage, I will actually use a bandage.

I think next step is a quick paint test to see how this material holds up to being painted and even a little weathering too. A proof of concept before the hard work begins in prepping the model for the full wrap 😊👍

• Like 2

The thing that doesn't look "right" with the bandage is the weaving pattern. Mummies were wrapped in linen cloth which has a much finer weave.

Have you considered testing strips of hanky tissue material? Some extremely wealthy users here have even reported that they have used layers of toilet paper as a cloth substitute - and this during the "lock-down". :whistle:

Gerry

• Haha 1

Is it me or does the mummy's face look more like Bella Lugosi's? Could they have been economising on sculpts back then? I had the Frankenstein figure, but he was a good likeness of Boris Karloff, bolts and all. :)

For thin fabric you need to find some old linen draughting sheets as beloved of old style drawing offices (Before CAD came along). The wax coating (and any drawing) will wash out with hot soapy water leaving a nice fine cloth behind which will cut into strips with care.

NB just make sure the drawing you destroy isn’t of any historical interest. 😉

6 hours ago, GerryW said:

The thing that doesn't look "right" with the bandage is the weaving pattern. Mummies were wrapped in linen cloth which has a much finer weave.

Have you considered testing strips of hanky tissue material? Some extremely wealthy users here have even reported that they have used layers of toilet paper as a cloth substitute - and this during the "lock-down". :whistle:

Gerry

That's a fair point. I will try this with it being painted as maybe the paint and weathering/ageing may knock back the weave a little more, plus I'm very close up in the photo above, taken a little further back it may look better. I'll try with a paint wash in the first instance as this is still a proof of concept and if it still doesn't look the part I will try some other closer weave material if I can find it. 

The only issue with toilet paper is I feel any texture I'm going for will be lost once paint is applied.

BTW, any suggestions for removing the paint from the head and hand without damaging the plastic mould? I'm not too bothered about the rest of the body as that will be sanded down and given an all over based colour anyway but with the head and hand, I don't really want to be putting new paint over old.

2 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

BTW, any suggestions for removing the paint from the head and hand without damaging the plastic mould?

paint stripper.   I got the No Nonsense one from Screwfix,  Homebase do one that comes in an identical bottle, which I assume is the same. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091

I used some on 35 year old enamel and it came off easily and no damage to the plastic.  Obviously test a patch first. 

HTH

14 hours ago, UKmodeller-Reborn said:

The only issue with toilet paper is I feel any texture I'm going for will be lost once paint is applied.

Next suggestion. Have you considered Tamiya masking tape? I've read that some members use it for safety harness fabric in Aircraft.

Good soak in bleach will remove enamel paint, usually overnight in a suitable container. Just rinse under warm water afterwards and dry with paper towel,any stubborn bits can be removed with a toothpick or suitable item.

6 hours ago, Yorkshire man said:

Good soak in bleach will remove enamel paint, usually overnight in a suitable container. Just rinse under warm water afterwards and dry with paper towel,any stubborn bits can be removed with a toothpick or suitable item.

Thanks, I'll try that. Paint remover seems a drastic move on plastic. I'll try the bleach method first. I does wonders to the tea stained spoons my wife leaves on the kitchen side 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1